My 6 Year Old Keeps Peeing Her Pants...

Ok so I am in a little bit of a bind. My little girl is going through a phase. I don't know why, and I don't know what to do about it. I think it may be becuase we are expecting a little one in August. I'm 20 weeks pregnant, just starting to show, we find out the sex today. She always talks excitedly about it, but at the same time she is also being EXTREMELY clingy, and now the peeing the pants thing. We had a small issue with it before but it stopped. I don't remember how or why. Now its back. I assumed that its becuase she is playing and having fun and doesn't want to pause it to go to the potty, but at the same time it happens so much I am lost and confused.

Today she also was complaining of a sore back, and tummy ache, but when I told her that she'd have to come to the office with me, she was extactic, so I am sure it isn't real. She wants to be with me all the time.

I know its the pregnancy and baby on the way, but what do I do, to get her to calm down, and get her to STOP peeing her pants!

Thank you everyone. After a few more days of monitoring her, and dr. appointment she is fine. No infections. She has grown ever more clingy, which makes me certain its attention. The other day when she peed her pants I ignored her, and let her sit in them as if there was nothing wrong, made her go out in public with me (you couldn't really see it), but I think she's better. Its been several days and she hasn't peed her pants since. She is now instead of trying to get attention in a negative form, asking for it directly. Thank you all again.

Take her to the doctor to get tested for a bladder/kidney infection. She has all of the symptoms of one.

double the amount of times you take her to the bathroom, until shes had enough. then maybe she will voice her fears about being replaced. then, of course you can reassure her of her place in the world and she will be okay

I have a 7 and a 4 year old. My oldest was potty trained before her sister came along. She was a very independant girl. Once her sister came, she became VERY clingy and needy and the accidents began. She still has accidents evry couple of months. I notice that when she has them, its for 3 reasons: 1) something is going on in her life - added stress or new changes. 2) She wants attentiona dn she fgures "negative" attention is better than no attention. 3)She is so busy playing that she doesn't want to stop then when its too late she runs to the bathroom.
I have also had her complain about "this hurts or that hurts". None of her complains were valid. They were cries for attention. one time I took her to the ER. After a $100 co-payment and 2 hour wait, she admitted nothing was wrong. (Boy was I pissed!)
I have had her checked for any kidney infections and she's all clear.
I know life is crazy for you now, but try setting up and 1 on 1 day for just the 2 of you doing something she likes. Don't bring up the baby.
Also, for the time being, remind her every 30 minutes that she she has to go potty, its OK to stop what she's doing to go.

Actually, while part of it might be a bit of jealousy, if she does have a sore back and a tummy ache it could be a bladder or kidney infection

I woudl head straight to the doctor IMMEDIATELY! Peeing pants & a sore back are nothing to ignore. She may have a bladder infection or UTI that has traveled to her kidneys.

My 4.5 you dd was wetting her pants & I thought the SAME thing.....until she CRIED to pee....boy did I feel awful. I headed straight away to the doc but I regret even waiting so long that she was in such pain.

Also make sure she is drinking tons of water & cranberry juice.

To J. C.,
I am a mother of 4 and I also have a six year old daughter who pees her pants. She doesn't do it all the time, just when there are major changes going on like when I was pregnate with my 2 year old. And we just went through it in September when school started and she went into the first grade, which meant all day at school. I really believe its an emotional need to get extra attention. We all react differently to changes and you just have to be patient and I know that when she goes through this. I just give her extra love and I let her know how special she is to me and that no matter what no one and nothing will change this. And I plan a little extra one on one fun. Usually seems to help and we get back to normal. Hope this helps if you want to talk to me more. Please feel free to email me at: ____@____.com.

Hello well you can try a couple of things one cut down on how
much she drinks and ask her to take breaks to use the rest room. But most of all tell her how special she is and that shes your first born becsuse belive me you will be glad you
did because she will not feel as if shes been replaced by the new baby. Good luck take care. T.

Get your daughter to a doctor immediately and have her tested for diabetes. Frequent urination, excessive thirst, body aches, and stomach problems are all symptoms of diabetes. Type 1 or juvenile diabetes is an auto immune disease that usually presents in early childhood and is NOT related to diet, exercise, or even heredity. Many children end up critically ill in diabetic ketoacidosis (which can lead to coma or death) because parents don't recognize the symptoms or doctors misdiagnose it as a behavior issue or other non critical problem. I doo't want to scare you but I do want to drive home the point that this is very serious and needs immediate attention. we didn't recognize the symptoms in our daughter, who was 2 at the time, until she was so sick that she had to spend 6 days in hospital once the doctor realized what was wrong. Please don't ignore this. Your child's life could be at stake. For more info on this you can visit www.childrenwithdiabetes.com or www.diabetes123.com. You may also email me privately at ____@____.com

1 / 3