My 6 Months Has a Cold

My daughter has a cold and she 6 months old. I was wondering what i can give her. She has a cough, stuffy nose, and she is congestion. Should i go to the doctor? She dosen't have a fever and she has had it for the last 4 days. Help please.Thanks

Thank you to everyone. My little girl is doing much better. Thak you for all the suggestions. They really help. It took 2 weeks for the cold to be gone.She is doing great.

Make some echinacia tea and give it to her in a bottle. (Whole Foods Market carries a great array of teas and medicines for kids) A steam shower would be great, with tea tree oil and/or eucalyptus oil to inhale. If not, just steam. She doesn't even have to be in the shower, just in the room, but I believe the warm water helps. Another tip: Make warm salt water about the same taste as tears.(This is what saline solution is) Put a few drops in each nostral. This will loosen any mucas and then try to suction it out with a bulb syringe. You basically want to keep her sinuses as clear as possible and keep the mucus from settling on her lungs. If you get a chance to shoot up to Whole Foods, ask the people in the health and vitamin area. They are full of information. I have three kids, my youngest just had a cold at three weeks old. He had the same symptoms, and this was what I did, minus giving tea through a bottle. I breastfeed, so I just took the tea myself. I hope this info helps.

Hi Angie,
My daughter is also 6 months old. She just had her first cold, I called my pediatrcian and she said to start out just putting the baby saline drops in her nose and running the humidifier. So I did and then a few days later she started running fever, so I took her to the Dr. and she had the begining of a sinus and ear infection. So my advice is to watch her closely and if she starts fever then take her to the Dr., Hope this helps, J.

well i wanted to tell you about the lil' noses and cough.. it is really great for infants.. youcan get it at just about any drugstore or HEB.. so anyway i hope that help.. also if you want a more homeopathic remedie use nettles and eyebright(herbal medacine) tutaloo S.

My daughter is almost 4 months old and has a cough that sounds like she is congested really bad and her pediatrician said to give her some of those PediaCare infant drops. A nurse also said that having a humidifier would help her as well by keeping some moisture in the air. I hope that helps you some. :-)

Hi Angie,
My son is 10 months old and is just now recovering from his first cold, too! I didn't want to take him to the doctor, because a cold is a virus and there's nothing that they can do for him there, and I would spend an hour in a waiting room with other sick children while my baby's immune system is already compromised. So I understand how you feel!

I did several things that helped my baby a lot to relieve his symptoms and make him more comfortable.
1. Tylenol makes some infant drops for cough/colds and stuffy noses. It is not the same as the regular infant Tylenol, it is a different medicine. That helped a lot to clear his congestion.
2. I also put a humidifier in his room to prevent his nasal passages from drying out.
3. I used Little Noses saline drops in his nose, then used the bulb syringe to clear his nose. He absolutely hates it, but as soon as it's over he feels a million times better.
4. Lastly, I give him a bath every night with Johnson's Vapor Bath, with very warm water in a hot bathroom. It is very soothing and helps to clear his little nose.

I hope this helps!

When my son had a cold and was totally congested the ped told me to buy a humidifier or if I didn't have $ for it to steam up the bathroom and let him play in there. The steam really helped him. Also our ped prescribed a cough/cold medicine called Ceron, i think. I hope this helps.

Sorry to hear your little one is sick. Mine is too. I would put a call into your pediatrician/nurse. I called and mine said to give her Infant Pediacare (which by the way I've only found at HEB - not at Walmart or Walgreens) and use a humidifier. Also use some saline drops in her nose to clear it out. The plug-in vaporizers are great too. Colds are viral and there's really not much you can do but them run their course. We used to give our child Pediatex (someone mentioned that here) but as of a few months ago our pediatrician said the FDA has not approved it for children under 2 yrs of age, so she said to throw it away (our daughter is 11 months). Good luck - I hope she gets better soon!!

I give my son Triaminic Thin Strips for infants. It helps him get the stuffiness out. Unless she developes a fever or is extra fussy and seems like she doesn't feel well, there isn't much the Dr can do any way. My son has a history of ear infections, so I'm pretty quick to take him in. But without any sort of history, just a little TLC should be fine.

Whenever your child is ill, you should conult a doctor. If you do not have one, you can usually call the ER at your local hospital and ask to speak to a nurse. Never treat your child with medications you are unsure of.

L. G.

my daughter had the same thing, congestion, cough, runny nose. i took her to the doctor all he said to do is wait.he prescribed some dimetapp and that was it. thats pretty they much what doctor is gonna tell you. as long as theres no fever. just try giving her some cough medicine, i used tylenol cold and cough for infants before i took her to the doctor. if you feel its not getting better take her to the doctor.

1 / 3