My 6 Month Old Needs a Helmet!

I don't have any background on helmets (or bands) & need a little help. We just went last week for Wyatt's 6 month well visit & the ped referred us to Cranial Tech for a consultation. Does anyone out there have experience with this company...or others that offer the same service? I don't know how bad my son's head is, we will find out next week at the consultation. Insurance doesn't pay for any of it & it is very expensive! I've done some research on plagio over the last couple of days, but I would LOVE to hear from some moms who have any info on this. Anyone who has gotten a band or helmet...or anyone who decided against it. Thanks Moms!

Wow!! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read & respond to my request! You all have no idea how much help you all have been! We had our consultation yesterday with Cranial Tech...and Wyatt has moderate plagiocephaly and is a great canidate for helmet/band therapy. We also have a consultation with Hanger on Monday to see what they have to say & how much they would be.
After spending an hour on the phone with insurance before I wrote this request (and getting two different answers), they sent me a copy of the requirements needed in order to qualify for benefits. From my understanding, we should be able to get a portion covered (yea!!!). As I see it, any has got to be better than none!
I've checked out a couple of forums on plagio & know that it is the best thing for Wyatt. I didn't realize how much asymetry there was until I saw the all angle pictures! I was thinking that it would be a mild case at best...guess I was wrong! So anyway, look for us around town soon! Thanks again. You guys were a true lifesaver!

Hi J.
We were sent to Cranial Tech when my son was 4 months old. They did a consultation and gave us a bunch of things to try (ways to get him to reposition his head) and we went back 3 months later. The things we did ended up being enough and we didn't need the band. So don't panic just yet, going there doesn't automatically mean a helmet.
good luck!

Please get it. My nephew needed one and his Mother ignored the situation. She kept making him wear hats and such. Now he is 6 years old and his head is flat on one side. It looks like someone hit him on the side of his head with a frying pan. He is still a handsome doll, but flat heat! Get the helmet and be happy we live in a world where these things are readily available.

Hi... I don't have a lot of experience but my neice had to wear a helmet for a while. I think she was around 1 year old... I can't remember. She had a protruding forhead. My SIL was told that a helmet was best and best chance of correcting itself earlier rather than later. It took a while for my neice to adjust but my SIL and my MIL made it a little more fun for her in that they dressed it up with stickers/etc so she felt a little better about it. Good luck.

I declined doing the helmet treatment on my son because there was nothing else wrong with him other than a flat spot on the back of his head, so to me and my husband it seemed more cosmetic than anything. Not to be mean or shallow but often in society we seem to be obsessed with obtaining perfection and who has a prefectly shaped head anyway? We truly felt there are not enough studies to support or discredit the helmet treatment, no one know what will happen to the child if left untreated or what impact that helmet will have pushing on your childs skull (brain) 23 hours a day for months, other than to change the shape of their head. With massaging his head, repositioning and him getting older and turning when sleeping his head started to round out on it own. My son is now three, he head is not perfect,he's still is a little flat on one side of his head, but it is not very noticeable. In fact no one, including his ped, has said a word about the shape of his head since I declined treatment with the specialist, thus my thought is it couldn't be all that bad. You have to do what you and your family think is right for your child with all medical issues uncovered and discussed. I don't regret my decision of declining the treatment.

My son who is 11 months old had plagio & torticollis at 2-3 months old. My pediatrician also suggested I see a specialist. I chose not to. Instead, my chiropractor showed me some stretches do to several times a day for the torticollis as well as just massage his scalp. (Stretches can also be found online) I also had my cousin's mother in law who happens to be a pediatric physical therapist come over & check him out. She said he wasn't that bad - just to make sure he gets lots of tummy time & continue with the stretches. I also bought a noggin nest (a head rest with a hole cut out in back so his head doesn't lay flat) for his car seat.

Between doing all of these things, it all went away. So, if it's an option for you, you may want to try it first. Good luck to you.

Hi J.!
Our son ended up having to wear a helmet (doc band) for a few months. We went through Cranial Technologies as well. At first we were told that it would not be covered by our insurance, but after checking into it more (and with the help of the people at CT) a percentage was covered (can't remember how much). In the end we wound up getting a check back for the amount we overpaid.

Oh, and by the way . . . everyone at Cranial Technologies was great. They were always willing to answer any questions we had, and they were very patient with our son. They did a good job with everything, and Justin's head turned out fine. You can't tell he ever had a problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If your son needs a helmet it is possible he would qualify for Early Intervention services, which would cover most of it. the only thing is the he would need to be evaluated by them, etc.. so contact them ASAP!! basically if they determine that your child has developmental needs (which the helmet could fall under) you would receive a variety of services and pay a flat fee based on your income. My daughter has orthotics that we got from Sheck & Siress in Bannockburn (south of lake forest) and I think they do helmets as well.

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30321

Hi J.!I'm a pediatric occupational therapist whose seen a lot of kids in our clinic who have to wear a DOC band. I'd encourage you to follow the therapists' recommendations. Not only are there the more obvious, physical effects of not correcting a plagiocephaly, but there are more serious problems that could result down the road. Some things I've seen are vision issues and speech/language issues due to jaw problems. It's better to fix a problem now while your son is young. Plus, you can ONLY fix it up to a certain age. Good luck!

I just wanted to let you know that my daughter had the helmet, we went to cranial technologies and they did a great job with us.They were very understanding and caring throught the whole process and the helmet really worked for us. She had severe diformaties with her head that the helmet was able to fix. The price was a little high but there was a flat cost that covered everything so that was nice that I knew up front what it all was going to cost. If you appeal to your insurance they will sometimes pay for the helmet or part of the helmet because they can be considered non cosmetic. If you would like any more info just let me know.

Just wondered if you have tried contacting your insurance companies to see if they have any companies that are covered or offer a discount. Doctors are usually just used to referring patients to one particular place but I would definitely check with insurance first. Good luck.

1 / 3