My 6 Month Old Baby Has Torticollis

My daughter was diagnosed with torticollis a few months back. If nobody knows what this is, it's a condition where her neck muscles are tightened and she tils her head to one side constantlys. My question is, does anyone else have any experience with this. She is doing physical therapy for the past week. Has anyone else had this problem with there baby? I'm really concerned about it. Is there any long term effects? I have seen no improvements over the past week. Any advise would be great!

I don't know much about it except that a friend's son had it. They did therapy and he wore a helmet for 6 months. After that, he still did therapy for 6 months but was able to take the helmet off. The helmet keeps his neck straight. I would recommend it before he develops too much.
ps/ you can google it and get tons if info....
Good luck, W. M

She may just outgrow it, if the muscles are exercised daily. Without treatment it u8sually tends to get worse, but not necessarily. As the neck muscles pull the head toward the favorite side, they tend to constrict & get shorter while the muscles on the opposite side stretch out thus gradually worsening the condition.
I would recommend follow up with a chiropractor who has advanced training with newborns.

My daughter developed torticollis as an infant from sleeping with her head to one side. I did a lot of massage (I'm a massage therapist, but you don't have to be)on her neck and shoulders to help alleviate the tightness in her neck muscles. It took some time to release (weeks, maybe a couple of months), but eventually it did and she has no problems now (she's 3). Good luck and don't worry too much, she'll be okay.

Hi A.! My sister's son had it as well, and with time, it will definitely resolve (at leat her son's did), but you have to be patient. Continue the PT sessions as well as be very diligent with the home exercise/stretching program, and you will see results. Its hard to hear them cry during the stretches, but its key to success. When she sleeps, make sure head is tilted in the corrected direction (check with PT). It can definitely be corrected with no long term effects. They told my sister that this most likely happens b/c of position/activity level in womb. Good luck!

My youngest (now 9) had mild torticolis as a baby. We took her to a chiropractor a couple of times and that took care of it. Ask around for a chiropractor who's good with kids.

A..

My 4 month old was diagnosed at his 2 month checkup. We have been doing PT for 2 months and I have seen a great improvement in his neck. We are now working on positioning to round out his neck and find out next week if he has to wear a helmet. If you are in the Wilmington area Renee at oleander rehab is a great PT.

my daughter was also diagnosed with this at 4 months. she is also going to physical therapy. they gave us some exercises to do at home which include literally stretching her neck in the opposite direction and also placing toys to the side she tilts to so that she will turn her head in that direction. that seems counter intuituve, but the neck muscle is both tight and twisted. you probably have noticed that when she sleeps she turns her head opposite of the neck tilt. you want to encourage her to turn it toward the neck tilt. i can share more specifics of the exercises if you like. my daughter's is not severe and is getting better over time. we also had xrays done to rule out any malformation of the spine. it was fine.

As a peds nurse, it is very normal, physical therapy is a great thing, you just have to retrain her neck. don't worry about this, have you read about it on the internet, go to www.webmd.com and type in Torticollis. Good Luck. J.

My daughter had that also but she started her therapy when she was about 8 wks old - she went from May until September - once a week. Just start doing everything the opposite way you normally would - I found that helped quite a bit. When you hold her hold her on the opposite arm etc.... Don't worry she will be fine!! You wouldn't notice too much improvement right away. Give it a little time - do the exercises at home that the instruct you to do. Feel free to ask any more questions - I'd be happy to help!!

1 / 3