My 5 Year Old Is Being Tested for Lactose Intollerance - Need Some

So I have to go 7 straight days without any milk products for my 5 yr old son. I bought the lactate milk so he would have something to drink and I'm reading my lables but wow this is difficult. I was wondering if any moms of kids that are lactose intollerant had some advice as for food options, especially for breakfast and snacks. After the 7 days are over the Dr. told me to give him the milk products back to see if his stomach aches come back but I can already tell it must the be problem because we've only gone 2 days without any milk and he hasn't had a single stomach ache. My only hope is that we won't have to be 100% no milk. For now I just needs some ideas. He loves waffles and instant oatmeal but they all contain milk. I've noticed that most of the cereal he likes has milk as well. We've been eating eggs with just jelly on the toast and pretzels with some honey to dip in. Not so bad now but if this is a long term thing I'm going to need other options. Thanks in advance! L.

my 9 yr old daughter is lactose intolerant. she takes an over the counter med "Digestive Advantage Lacotse Intolerance" for kids and is able to get buy with a little dairy. She cannot go without her chocolate milk and ice cream every once in a while!

My son is dairy and soy intollerant. We have been off of dairy and soy for 2 years now. It gets easier. And reading labels is hard at first, but boy do you learn a lot! We have gone with Rice Dream (rice milk) for some of his calcium needs, but it isn't the best source. We supplement and he can have almonds and other foods that are good sources of calcium.

With three boys, I can't imagine you have a lot of time. If you do, you can make some of those foods (waffles and oatmeal) from scratch. You might also ask for a tour at Whole Foods. They have a lot of different options, and they are incredibly helpful.

It is doable. If he is only lactose intollerant, you won't have a lot of severe restrictions.

Good luck and God bless.

Try soy milk.
That is what my grand children have and they are doing well with it.

You'll get really accustomed to it after a little time. At first it will be hard, but there are many things you'll be able to do. My nephew is lactose intolerant (just like my brother-in-law).
He drinks soy milk, eats lactose free yogurt. Most hard cheeses (parmesan, etc) are low in lactose. I'm sure a search on google will yield some good results.
They do a lot of sorbet for treats since it's juice-based.

Can you try non-instant oatmeal instead? Get the quick oats and prepare with water? One recipe we saw recently said to add applesauce to oatmeal (pancake, waffle mix, etc) - it was phenomenal.

Load-up on fresh fruits, veggies. You'll be able to determine quickly which foods are irritants and which are not.

BEST THING YOU CAN DO: SEE A DIETICIAN!!!!!!

My 5 yr old is lactose intolerant as well - we have known about his issues since he was about 1 - he can eat cheese and yogurt in small amounts, and we buy lactaid milk for him (giant eagle usually puts it on sale about every other month or so) - it takes some adjustment, but once you get used to it, it isn't a big deal :)

good luck!
~T.

http://MamaWorksFromHome.NET
http://FamilyBenefitsLive.com

My son is allergic to dairy, so I know where you are coming from. A lot of processed foods have milk in them, so I've had to go back to making things homemade. You can use the lactate milk in place of milk in recipes (we use soy or coconut milk). I have found a dairy free butter (Earth Balance in the natural section of the grocery store). The one thing I have had trouble replacing is cheese since a lot of the soy cheeses still contain milk. In some ways, it's been easy for my son since we discovered his allergy at one year old and he's never tasted milk product (after the huge outbreak of hives with his first drink of whole milk).

Some breakfast food ideas are homemade pancakes, waffles, french toast, english muffins and homemade muffins. As far as snacks go, you can't go wrong with fruits or veggies, graham crackers, and natural fruit sticks.

A great resource for us has been this website:

www.godairyfree.org

Even though it's been difficult, our family is eating healthier because of his allergy :-)

You could try soymilk, my son loves it, especially the Very Vanilla by Silk SoyMilk!

There are multiple things in milk that can cause allergic reactions:
Caseins: milk protein (there are other proteins as well)
Whey: milk protein
Lactose: sugar found in cow's milk

There are multiple replacements on the market for milk and dairy products. Some have the lactose removed. There are multiple replacement products from soy, rice, almonds, coconut, etc. for milk products. I just bought a coconut milk to replace cow's milk. It tastes similar to skim milk and just a teensy bit sweeter. I like soy milk by Silk, SunSoy and 8th Continent. I would try the vanilla flavor first. You can use it as a milk substitute in cereal and baking breads, cake, etc. It doesn't taste right in things like scrambled eggs or items that do not have a bit of sugar in them. For those, I suggest buying the "original" flavor without the extra sweetened taste of vanilla.

There are cheese and yogurt replacements. Some have the lactose or proteins removed. Others are made of soy or some other vegetable product. It's kind of a testing process to find exactly what suits your taste buds. I haven't found many good tasting cheeses in the regular grocery store, but that might be because I do not live in a major city like NYC, Indy or LA. I have better luck at smaller chains or health food stores (since they tend to carry mainly specialty items).

There are egg substitutes that come in a carton... kind of look like the milk cartons kids drink out of at school. Horizon is one brand that is very common everywhere. Some have the proteins/lactose removed while others are purely from some other source...can't remember what off hand...

Don't let people scare you into thinking your child will suffer from not having enough vitamin D or calcium. There are tons of other sources, plus, most of us probably need a daily vitamin to actually receive the suggested FDA vitamin requirements anyways. I haven't eaten perfect by any means the last year or two, and I was just tested for my vitamin ratios. I was only lacking in vitamin D surprisingly enough... and I don't eat veggies and fruit everyday. I have noticed that many orange juice brands, cereals, wheat/bread products and other foods are fortified with calcium, vitamin D, and the daily recommended vitamins, etc.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-y...

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68e.stm

Lots of kids have trouble with unprocessed dairy (milk, ice cream) but not processed (yogurt, cheese), so there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. But, it doesn't have to be hard. Is it really a big deal to not use butter? There's dairy-free margerine, all sorts of non-dairy nut butters and other spreads. There are dairy-free cheeses, he can drink rice, almond, soy, and probably goat milk.
I'm a little confused about your pretzel remark, do you usually dip them in something? Maybe you need to reevaluate your eating habits. If plain pretzels aren't enough, what about salsa, at least there isn't a bunch of added sugar like with honey!
Make your own waffles and pancakes, it's easy and much more healthy than Eggos, and you don't have to use milk in them, water or juice are good substitutes. Instant oatmeal is horrible for you anyhow. It's loaded with sugar and sodium. Get a canister of plain quick oats, make it with water, and let him use some maple sugar and fruit to sweeten it.
Stay away from processed food and start making things from scratch. They are better for him (and you) anyhow. There are lots of books and websites to help you. Just type in "lactose-free recipes" and go from there.
It sounds like this might really help your family become more healthy! Have fun learning new recipes and how to cater to his needs. Good Luck!

1 / 3