My 5 Month Old Daughter Has a Lump in Her Breast

Today when I was giving my daughter a bath I noticed that she has a lump (about the size of a grape)in her left breast. I have never noticed it before. Is this normal? What is it? Has anyone else had this happen to their daughter?

Thanks so much.

Hi Jessica, I noticed the same thing in my daughters left breast when she was 5 months old. I called her ped. and she said as long as it's not hot/swollen/leaking or bothering her it could wait until her 6 mo. check-up. At her 6 mo. check up her ped. said it was caused by hormones - there's a name for it, but I can't recall what it is. My daughter is almost 8 months old now I noticed a few weeks ago that it's gone. I'd try not to worry about it and just keep a close eye on it. Good luck.

Hi Jessica,

I can tell you that all babies appear to have a small breast bud after birth. Don't quote me on the cause (it's early and I haven't looked it up recently) but I believe it may be related to maternal hormones. I have read that some babies even leak milk from their breasts after birth. I'm not sure how long it takes to go away.. my 4 month old still has these little breast buds, but what would concern me is the size, and if it's not equal on the other side. I highly doubt it's something dangerous, but in any event I would put a call in to your pediatrician to see if they have any ideas.

My daughter had the same thing, just before I started my period again. It went away within a couple of months. Our md said as long as it does not seem to bother her, is not red or hot, and she is not running a fever (unrelated to anything else) that we didn't need to worry about it. Some newborns have them when they are born. It is related to the mother's hormones.

please call doctor and get it checked.
Just to be safe

1 / 3