My 5 Month Baby Doesn't Poo-poo After 5 Days Without Laxative

My baby son doesn't poo-poo even after 5 days and I have to apply Laxative everytime I wanted him to poo-poo. Is there anything wrong? My baby doesn't have any formula, but breast milk. I am really worried. Any insights? It has lasted for 3 weeks. Help please!!!

Thanks for all the great moms! My baby finally had 2 big poos today without assistance by liquid glycerin. What I did was to give him 0.5oz apple juice mixed with water. It worked!! Big thanks!!

Just as an idea and it worked for my little Grandaughter, when she was constipated.....the DR. told her to give her baby warm water to drink and it worked every time....good luck! Give more than once a day if needed....

I had the same problem with my last baby. She actually went about a week and a half before she pooped. I started giving suppositories to my baby every 3 or 4 days so I knew she was flushed out. Then I found out later that this can happen with brestfed baby's. I was told not to worry about it by my pediatrtian to make a long story short. I wish they had told me a little sooner. My baby never had a disdended stomach or seemed bothered so I probably should have gone off her signs instead of what I thought should have been happening. Good luck and I hope this helped.

When my breast-fed son was that age, he did the same thing. I read a lot on-line about it myself and was told by my pediatrician that this is perfectly normal. That it bothers us more than it does them. Breast milk is so easy to digest, they often digest it all without much waste. As long as he's not straining, I would try not to worry (easier said than done, I know).

My son who was exclusively breasfed for as long as possible didn't have 'regular' BM's until he started solid baby foods. If you are worried call his Ped and ask for advice. Our doc told us to not use laxatives on young ones as to not through their natural movements off balance...plus there are 'natural' alternatives that have the same effect like prune juice. But at that age he's most likely just getting what he needs from your milk and will soon be ready for more substance like cereal.

Best to you!

Is the laxative prescribed by your Pediatrician??? And what kind of laxative is this??? And how do you know the dosage?

You should not give laxatives unless instructed to do so by a doctor.
it is not good to give a baby this each time "you" want them to poop.

It is not abnormal for a breastfed baby to poop once a week...the breastmilk digests so quickly and is processed in the body pretty well.

Is your baby on solids or not? It's early to give solids, unless okayed by doctor.

Also, "constipation" is according to the texture of the poop, NOT the frequency. Laxatives are for constipation. Not, frequency.

Is your baby being nursed on demand? This is what should be done day and night.

Is your baby having adequate "wet" diapers??? If not he may be dehydrated.

If your baby having normal weight gain and growth?

You best take your baby to the Doctor to check.

Here are some links on the subject:
http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-many-times-a-day-does-a...
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/prepare/qanda.asp?c=bg_bob...
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-poop.shtml

Good luck, stop the laxatives...unless instructed otherwise by a Pediatrician.
~Susan

My daughter had the same problem. Her pediatrician said that breastfed babies do not have as much by product left from breastmilk, it gets absorbed and they have less to poop. My daughter would go only once a week, until I started introducing solids. She still doesn't go every day (she is almost 8 months), but goes about 3 times a week. I wouldn't worry about it unless it goes longer than 7 days. Good luck. You could try introducing water to him as well.

C.,
My son went through the same thing, I remember, right around 5 months. He too was exclusively breastfeed for 6 months. We talked to the doctor and she said that their intestinal track grows and they don't go as much. But you should definately talk to the pediatrician and state your concerns. Especailly since its been an ongoing concern for 3 weeks now. Call asap.
Best wishes!

It is normal for breastfed babies to go long periods without a poop (my dd would only poop about once a week, sometimes longer). My pediatrician said that as long as she didn't seem to be in any discomfort, there was no need to worry (except about who would be with her when the giant poop hit!)

-M.

Hello, C.,

Do you have a good probiotic? Check with a good authority at your health food store.

You may also contact me as I order a special one for my family and I will give you the details.

Thank you for your wisdom. We do not want to become dependent on laxitives, or anything for that matter.

My very best to you,

My oldest son had the same problem. We tried everything, but perscription Miralax worked and I kept a chart of his doses and poops. We were able to wean him off the Miralax after about 9 months. I know it is sometimes scary to resort to medication, but after going to the ER twice to get an enema, it really was a better solution. Good luck. The sooner you get him/her regular the better for everyone.

Its completely normal for breastfed babies to only have one bowel movement a week. You shouldn't give your baby a laxative unless it's been more than 7 days and you notice he's having discomfort. Check out the following websites...
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
http://motheringcorner.com/2008/01/17/breastfed-babys-stool/

1 / 3