My 5-Month Old Is in the 90Th Percentile for weight...should I Be Concerned?

My second child was born 10 days early weighing 6lb 12oz. The first 4 months were rough...she had rsv at 4wks, acid reflux which continues, and was quite fussy. I breast fed her for the first 7 weeks and chose to switch over to formula when she was having congestion issues and not eating too well from the breast. She's on Enfamil AR mixed with a little of the Enfamil Gentlease. At her 4mo check up she was in the 90th percentile for weight and only the 45th for height. She's now a week past 5 months old and weighing in at 17lbs. She's already outgrown 6mo clothing! She takes in 30oz of formula a day and several tablespoons of rice cereal/fruit and/or pureed veggies. She basically looks like a 7month old.

Should I be concerned? I'll have a more in-depth conversation with the doctor at her 6mo appt but wanted to see if there were any other mom's who experienced something similar. My husband and I are average height and weight as is our 3 year old (she was always around the 50th percentile). If you have anything to share I welcome your feedback. Thanks so much!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that I really shouldn't be worried at this point, even if her height is only in the 45th percentile. I guess the nanny that's been watching my daughter has given me somewhat of a complex about her being so big...and I let it get to me. I agree I should be grateful that she's healthy (despite the acid reflux) and gaining weight. My little "tub-a-love" is a real cutie and I'm sure she'll stretch out soon. Thanks for everyone's comments. Take good care...

I have two boy and three and a half year old and a ten month old. Both are/were in the 99th percentile for height and weight. As long as the height and weight ratio is good, meaning they are both in the 90's, there is nothing to be concerned about. My boys were typical weight when born, but then doubled their weight by 2 months. Both boys are/were 28 pounds by 10 mos, but the oldest weighed in at only 32 pounds when 2 yrs old. So when they start moving around the weight gain will slow down drastically. My 10 month old is in 24 mos clothing. The other thing you should know is that neither my husband nor I are overweight. I am 140 and 5 foot 6 and my husband is 6 foot and 200 pounds. however both of us were bigger in grade school. I was always jealous of my girlfriends who wore slim jeans, becasue I didn't wear slims until high school.

So my 10 mos old eats 4 jars of 2 oz food a day, plus cereal in the morning and at night. He easily consumes 32-26 ounces of formula and is also getting table food is small bits as he now has 4 teeth. Don't fret, just don't feed him sugars and junk as he is able to consume more adult-like food as he ages.

As the mother of a kid with reflux who doesn't gain weight, let me tell you that you are fortunate your daughter is gaining. That said, let me also say I understand your concern. Check with you doctor, but I babysat many kids who were on the heavy side as babies. None of them are now as teens and young adults. The only exception is one girl who is as solid as they come. She just has a larger build. Her sister if very petite. Some kids just come in a larger size. I wouldn't worry unless she doesn't start to slim down as she becomes more active.

Both of my children have never been on the chart for either weight or height. Our Ped says that as long as they are following the curve of the chart and not spiking up he has no concerns.

They say not to worry about your infant's weight. Feed them when they are hungry. My little one is pretty big as well. I know I was a huge baby and thinned out when I was about 4. I have never had weight issues.

Hi N. -
Both my kids were HUGE for the first year or so. My daughter just turned one and wears 18-month to 2T clothing! My son was about the same way but is now a pretty average-sized almost 3-year-old. You, of course, should always check with your doctor but I'd bet she is fine.

I really don't mean to sound rude, but are you kidding me? Your beautiful child is in the 90th percentile ranking for her age & height & your are concerned? I would be thrilled! My kids were always on the smaller side & always looked like there were from some remote region in a 3rd world country that didn't supply them with enough nutrients. They are fine now & very tall for their age but I would have given anything to have been told that. Leave well enough alone & focus on something else. Best of luck,

my 5 1/2 month old is as big as yours- no need to worry. At his 4 month check up( which was actually at 4 1/2 months) he weighed 16lbs, 14ozs, and he weighed less than my middle child at the same age. My two older children were always in the 90-100% percentile for height and weight until recently. As they get older, they seem to level out a little more( they are both now in the 50-75% percentile. I wouldnt worry too much about it- my 5 1/2 month old is the shortest of my three as well and still in the 75% percentile.

I went through the same thing with my son. He was 5 wks early and weighed 7 lbs. At 4 months he was 20 lbs and to big for the infant car seat (we had to move him to the convertable one. He was in 12 month cloths at 7 months. He always weighed in in the high 90's. (We used to call him lead butt because he was so heavy to carry around as a baby.)

He is now turning 4 (tomorrow) and has no fat on him at all, however he is still in the high 90's for both weight and height.

Chunky babies are health babies. I wouldn't start worrying about it until she get older. It should start evening out when she get to be about 2.

1 / 3