My 4 Year Old Son Has a Chronic Cough

Three weeks ago my son came down with a cold. No fever, just stuffy and a cough. He is well enough to go to school, and is in great spirits. It's just that this cough has held on now for three weeks, and while he is predominantly OK during the day, every night at 3am exactly he wakes up with a sever coughing bout and it sometimes lasts for 20 minutes. I have given him a nightime cough syrup to help when these bouts happen, but do not want to continue it for longer than 7 days. Has anyone else experienced this with their child? And what remedies did you try to help. I have heard that sometimes these coughs last for weeks, but I guess I want to know what is normal and what invites a visit to the Pediatrician. Thanks!

To all you great moms who gave awesome advice (and some who scared me to death!): I took him to our Homeopathic Pediatrician (Dr. Murray Clarke, LAc), and the poor guy has bronchitis. After being on homeopathy and a natural cough medicine for 48hours he has shown immediate improvement. Last nite was the first nite he slept completely throught the nite. (I also took your collective advice about the Vicks on the bottom of the feet and humidifier in the bedroom). Thank you thank you thank you. I love this website, because I never feel alone as a mom. Much love to all. J.

A few months back I had a cough that lasted for 2 months. It started the same way, with a cold, but the cough would not go away. I went to the doctor and had some tests run. I had bronchitis which was caused by an allergy to dust mites. If he's waking up coughin at night, it might be an allergy.

Is he having trouble breathing? My son had a persistent dry cough that was worse at night and has been diagnosed with asthma.

YES. My daughter had a cough for 6 months, sometimes waking her throughout the night and causing vomitting. We took her to specialist, had chest x-rays, allergy tests, blah, blah, blah. In the end we were told her lungs were still young and immature and she just needed to grow into them. We have put humidifiers and air purifiers in the bedrooms and that seems to help. We also use essentials oils of R.C. and Raven to keep their sinus open and uncongested.

a lot of colds come with a nasty long lasting cough. i would go ahead and take him to the pediatrician just to be safe. for the cough, put a nice coat of vicks vapor rub on the bottom of his feet and cover with a pair of socks (i used to warm the socks in the dryer first) right at bedtime when he wont be getting back up. it doesnt hurt to put some on his chest also. I typically pin a warmed small towel over the chest behind the neck under his pj's. i know the vicks on the feet sounds kinda off the wall, but it works wonders! good luck.

Probably should take him to the doctor. I had a cough for a month last year; just couldn't get rid of it. It ws the worst at night, keeping me up. Finally went in to the doctor and he gave me an Advair (?)inhaler (steroid, pretty strong!) for 7 days and that finally kicked it. Apparently, my vocal chords were pretty inflamed. I would take him to the doctor. Also, a home remedy that works fantastic is to buy Vick's Vapor rup, smear it on the soles of his feet at night, then put socks on. Really helps the cough at night. But still take him to the doctor.

Take him to the doctor. This may be allergies, and it is being set off by something, but then again it could be asthma, and to let it lie without the proper medication can be very dangerous. It could also be bronchitis, which is pretty much a chronic wet cough after a cold. Please take him to the doc to find out which you are dealing with.

Honey is a great natural cough suppressant. You might want to try it out. I used to have a lot of problems with chronic coughs when I was younger and my mom would give me honey. It helped and it wasn't full of weird chemicals.

As you can see from the list of responses, the cough could be attributed to many things. But I think everyone will agree that you should take him to see the pediatrician to make a diagnosis and suggest a remedy. Our son had a cough for about 3-4 weeks before we took him to see the doctor, who then said that we should use a nebulizer (which we already had, though not for asthma) with Xopenex (a bronchio-dilator) to relieve the cough. Although Xopenex alleviated the symptoms, it didn't cure the underlying reason for the cough. So, the coughing continued for another many weeks. We went back to the doctor and she then determined that he had a sinus infection (bacterial) and started him on anitibiotics (amoxicillin). The cough went away within a few days.

We have had the experience where my son's cough lasted for quite a few weeks after getting a cold. It's extremely frustrating. The best thing to prevent coughing at night is to keep his room cool and run a cool air humidifier when he's sleeping. Also have him sleep with his head slightly elevated. If his nose is dry use saline spray to keep it moist. One time though the cough did turn into asthma and we had to use a nebulizer for a few days - so definitely check back with the doctor to make sure everything sounds ok in his chest or if you find that he is wheezing.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

1 / 3