My 4 Year Old Is Getting Adult Teeth BEHIND His Baby Teeth!!!

Tonight when I was getting the kids ready for bed, my son mentioned that his tooth hurt. I first thought maybe it was a loose tooth, but when I checked, I instead found that his right adult tooth on the bottom front has come in and the left is trying to break through. The strange thing is that his baby teeth are not even loose. Has anyone else dealt with this? What was the outcome?

thank you for your advice everyone! I called the dentist and they said it was normal and they don't even want to see him right now. They told my to just wait until his 6 month check up in june.

Yes. My son went through the same thing. I called the dentist and they said that is very normal. (Her son even had that happen!) He finally lost the baby teeth after both of his bottom front adult teeth were in completely. As soon as he lost the baby teeth the adult teeth just moved forward into place just like the dentist office said they would. His teeth are now really straight. Lots of people told me that he would have to have them pulled, but the dentist didn't even ask to see him. And, he thought it was so cool looking like sharkboy.

I just took my 5 y/o daughter to the dentist for this same reason last week. She had her 2 bottom teeth pulled out because they weren't even loose yet and her 2 adult teeth (on the bottom) were already almost in. The dentist said that she could have gone another month or so before she would've extracted them, just in case they would've loosened up on their own, but I didn't want to have to take my daughter back into the dentist.

This is perfectly normal. My oldest daughter had the same thing happen with her lower central incisors and as a dental assistant I saw several children come in with this. Usually permanent teeth come up underneath baby teeth and erode the root, causing them to eventually fall out. But if the permanent tooth comes in in a slightly different location that root erosion doesn't happen and you get two rows of teeth. You can either let nature take it's course and wait for the baby teeth to fall out on their own (which is what I did. Her baby teeth were getting loose anyway) or you can take him to the dentist and have them pulled. Some dentists would rather not do this since it's not really necessary and anesthetizing a child can be problematic. You'll have to talk with your dentist, but don't be alarmed. It's normal!

You will need to take him to the dentist. If the adult teeth don't push the baby teeth out the dentist needs to pull them. My kids both had serial extractions and later braces.
Otherwise he could end up with 2 rolls of teeth.

2 of my cousins had that and the baby teeth eventually fall out, but the older cousin was called shark face or jaws or something like that for awhile since he had two rows of teeth! His teeth are pretty straight now without braces. His younger sister currently has two rows on her top front teeth if I remember right.

This happened with my son. The dentist just went ahead and pulled out his baby teeth and all was well. The adult teeth went right into their "normal" position.

I have a ten year old daughter who has had four cases of this kind and her 12 year old friend has had a half dozen. From these experiences, I have to say to get to a dentist, PRONTO to avoid serious problems. ONce, my daughters whole face swelled up because the adult tooth was pushing a tight baby tooth so hard and that tooth was JAMMED, without even a hit of the root going away. EVery time we see a "jammed tooth" we get Josee to the dentist for an extraction. By having the baby teeth yanked right away, we are avoiding pain and the teeth coming in crooked. My daughter's friend had a whole bunch of teeth come in crooked and will probably have to have braces but they are looking better after the Dentist finally pulled the baby teeth from the double row of teeth that she had in her mouth.

H.

this happened to my son. the pediadontist said to let him have a frozen pop (to numb the jaw), and then wiggle each day...and they did eventually fall out. the first one fell out at school...he didn't even know exactly when/where.
they told me this was quite normal.

This happend to a friends daughter.. and they took he to the dentist.. and they were going to pull the baby teeth. But her younger sister beat them to the punch. when the kids were playing in the bath tub the younger sister riped a wash cloth out of her sister mouth and loosend the baby teeth and they fell out.. I would taker him to the dentist.
Lenci

1 / 3