My 4 Year Old Has Baby Fine Tangly Hair and a Very Tender Head. HELP!

I have been trying everything to get a brush/comb through Emma's hair. I have tried the detangler sprays, I have tried water, conditioner, anti-frizz creme's. I can not get a comb through her hair without her freaking out. She stands and screams EVERY time I brush her hair. I feel horrible! I start at the bottom, holding the rest of her hair in a pony with my hand to take some of the "pull" off of her head, and try combing from the bottom, working my way up a little higher. NOTHING works. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

have you tried this stuff by aussie called Knot Forgotten? I have a child with a sensitive head & if you put it in after you wash her hair & leave it in for 2 mins it works wonders..my child loves it & it makes her hair smell really good & feel really soft...just a suggestion.

Hello K., My 4 year old daughter had the same problem so we cut her hair in a bob style just above her neck, slightly layered in the back and it made all the difference in the world. It made her hair a lot thicker too. I was really nervous about it at first, but it looks so cute! Good luck, S.

I have very fine hair too and so does my daughter. I use Johnson and Johnson shampoo detangle formula for her hair in the bath. After I wash it, I comb it through to get out all the tangles while the shampoo is still in her hair. For myself, I use a detangle shampoo and condition, semi-expensive from Trade Secret in the mall. Any salon would have them too but I find Trade Secret to be less expensive (especially if you go to the discount area...there is always something there) I also comb or pick through my hair with the conditioner on it in the shower. Sometimes I use the really good stuff on her hair too. Finally try braiding her hair before she does to bed. It will keep it from tangling as much while she sleeps. Everything else you are doing right and it might be a control issue. Mom's get tested all the time.

K.,

You could start by using a wide tooth comb and combing her hair after shampooing with the comditioner in it. Then rinse it carefully so as not to tangle it, then braid it while it's wet.

John Frieda's Frizz-Ease is the best anti frizz product because it has dimethicone. Most of them don't and they just gum up your hair.

If your daughter has a sensitive scalp, then why don't you just bite the bullet and cut it for now? Poor baby will have the rest of her adult life to suffer in pain for beauty's sake! :)

I have naturally curly hair and I've learned after years of experimenting that brushing my hair ONLY when it's wet keeps it from getting too bad. Also, have you tried to use a dab of conditioner or even a leave in conditioner? I know I have problems w/ my hair tangling if I don't condition, so that was my first thought. I totally disagree with another lady's suggestion to tell your daughter to "toughen up". My sister has always had a tender scalp and it hasn't changed over the years. Some children are more sensative then others, you just have to be patient and understand that. Perhaps if your daughter has longer hair, you may try a shorter cut. This helps me keep my hair manageable and it doesn't tangle nearly as much as it used to when I had long hair. I don't know how you feel about this, but it's only a suggestion, so take it or leave it. I also find that starting out with a wide toothed comb and finishing w/ a brush that has the plastic teeth (goodies for thick hair I think)it makes it easier until you can get her hair trained. I hope some of this helps and feel free to e~mail me anytime if you need any kind of advice about this or anything else. :)

~{@ J.

K. H.
As a Cosmetologist here is my advice.

1. BEFORE you get the Hair wet for shampooing Brush it very well. Then DO NOT pile the hair on top of head to shampoo.
Get fingers into the hair and cleanse the scalp then work down to the the ends. By taking the hair in your hand and rubbing together to cause FRICTION, that and the soap clean the hair.
Rinse and Repeat even if you do not think you need to shampoo twice you really do. The first takes the dirt and grime off the surface the next one actually cleanses.
a GOOD SHAMPOO you should only need the size of a dime of shampoo. (First week using a good product--size of a nickle to quarter---this eats the wax that is in most cheap shampoos, work to reduce to size of a pea to a dime of shampoo)

2. NEXT use the conditioner, start at the Bottom of the hair shaft and work upward. Most of it is needed on the ends not the scalp. WHILE STILL IN THE TUB--Then take a detangler comb or a Large wide tooth comb and start while the conditioner is still in the hair and she is in the tub! THEN RINSE BY HAVING HER SIT UP AND PUT HER HEAD BACK. Use a wash cloth for eyes.
DO NOT RINSE AND RINSE. KEEP JUST A LITTLE BIT IN THE HAIR... NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE IT LOOK DIRTY BUT ENOUGH TO GET A COMB THROUGH IT.(USE YOUR JUDGMENT AND TRAIL AND ERROR)
Next use a detangle spray if the privious was not enough to stop the real bad pain.
Take SMALL sections of hair and comb from the bottom up.

3. Let your daughter know that she NEEDS to toughen up her head some and this will help her later in life. (I still have baby fine thin hair but I have done this as well as toughened up my own head to make it work!) Remember the quote mom used to tell "We must endure the Pain to be beautiful!"

Finally, make sure you are using a good shampoo, talk to your stylist for her recommendations. Every Salon has a few lines to choose from and all price ranges. A good Salon formula will last longer and be LESS EXPENSIVE in the long run.
TRY THIS- GET A NEW BOTTLE OF YOUR CHEAP BRAND, MARK IT ON THE CALENDAR TO SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES YOU TO USE IT UP. THEN GO BUY A SALON PRODUCT-- MARK THAT ON THE CALENDAR TO SEE HOW LONG IT TAKE YOU TO USE IT UP. MOST CHEAPER BRANDS HAVE THE WAX. THUS, COATING THE HAIR. It usually takes a quarter or more for a good lather per shampoo.
The salon product as stated above--takes about a week-to two weeks to remove the waxy build up from the hair thus taking a size of a nickle. After that a PEA to a DIME size is all you should NEED!

After a baby is a year old they no longer should be using baby shampoo. This is why so many kids have cradle cap at 7-9 years old. It is for BABIES, before the glands start to develop. Always, brush the scalp BEFORE shampooing the help remove the dirt and grime from the scalp and hair shaft.
If you have a problem with this use a TEA TREE shampoo to help heal the scalp and hair.

ALWAYS SMELL YOUR CHILDS HEAD, to see if they are clean enough after shampooing. THIS WILL TELL YOU IF YOUR PRODUCT IS WORKING! If they still smell dirty-- THEY ARE---CHANGE PRODUCTS. What works for one in the house does NOT always work for everyone.
CHECK THE KIDS WHEN THEY FIRST START TO SHOWER THEMSELVES AS WELL. BIGGEST PROBLEM-- NOT RINSING THE SOAP OUT OF HAIR. CAUSES A SCALP BUILD UP AND CAN CAUSE SOARS ON THE SCALP WHICH CAN LEAD TO OTHER PROBLEMS AS WELL.
I hope this helps, I have added the other tips as well to help you with the older child too.
Best of luck

I have a 3-yr-old with super curly hair that can cause the same problem in the opposite way. She still gets the tangles and snags and I have found Suave Conditioner plus detangler for kids. It's tearfree and my daughter loves the fact that she gets to smell like a big bunch of grapes before she goes to bed. It's pretty cheap and I found it at Walmart. The other thing that I do because I don't want to put all the excess chemicals in her hair is I spray her head down with water right before I brush it and use what's called a 'Detangling Brush' I too have found this at Walmart so it's not expensive, but you may have to ask them to order it for you. (They had one for me) It looks like a comb with a handle. The difference is that the comb bristles are almost spread apart like a "pick" from us women in the 1980's. Mine is made by Goody. If I were you, I would go in there with no picture in mind and just read the labels. Now the only thing she throws a fit about is if I shoot her in the face with the water bottle! Good Luck!

Boy do I know how you feel My daughter has curley hair and if I dont get it brushed before it dries it will be a mess! She hated when i used to brush her hair but one day I was digging in her toy box and came up on her old baby brush that I let her have for her dolls. So I told her Why dont you let mommy brush your hair with this baby doll brush and I let her have the old brush for her baby dolls so I would use the soft baby brush while she used the big brush on her doll kept her occupied plus kept her from screaming that "IT HURTS!" lol
good luck! Also if you find a good shampoo/ cond let me know!

My 4 yr old has very curly hair like me and can't brush it out of the bath. I use Arbonne baby shampoo and then Arbonne Conditioner while the cond. is still in the hair I brush then wash out some. It still hurts some but SO much less. Then when she gets out I brush it again.. no trouble usually with that because of brushing it in the bath. I have to do the same with mine. I also use a conditioning spray from arbonne if I really have to.

1 / 3