My 4 Month Old Shakes Her Head Side to Side....

My 4 month old has started to shake her head side to side vigorously. She does this many times per day. I was just wondering if this is normal? It worries me!

LOL, my child does all sorts of weird things like that! It is norm and just a phase. Do you live in Winchester?

I have a 3 month old girl who does the same. It looks like she is shaking her head "no" but more vigorously. She does it most often when shes on the changing table. I think this is just a normal thing since from birth they begin to get more control over there necks and now they are trying to use the control they have.

My son did the same thing. The doctor said it was just something he discovered he could do. He is now 4 and 1/2 years old. He is a healthy active boy. My daughter did it some but not as much as my son. He used to do a lot to the point where he looked as if he were dizzy.

A little about me:
I am a 35-year-old STAM and work part time at home, with a 4-1/2 year old son and 2 year old daughter and one on the way.

Yes, this is normal. She's just exploring what she can do with her body.

Does she have water in her ears??? My kids always shook their heads when they had water in their ears or an ear infection. Maybe its just a new stage and it may pass after a couple of weeks.

Hi M., I have twin girls that are 9 months old. I am also a first time mom. Ellie started doing the side to side head thing a while ago. Her sister doesn't do it. I have never been concerned about it though. She seems to do it when she is excited or eating. I think it may just be something they do to try and communicate with us. If you find out something different let me know...

make it a game!! she'll laugh like crazy soon! we played it with my boys and they are 3 and still do it!! its the "shakey shakey" game....shake your head back and forth when she does and say shakey shakey, shakey shakey!! my kids laughed so much over it!!

I can appreciate your concern, especially as a new Mom. I would say it isn't something to be overly concerned with, but if it makes you feel better most definitely bring it up to the pediatrician. I am not there to see your daughter shaking her head, and you know her best above all, so go with your gut. I believe that God instilled in each of us mothers a type of intuition to know when something is wrong or deserves concern. God made us the nurturers for a reason. That all being said, thank you for asking your question on Mamasource. Another new mom may share your same concern. Have a blessed day!

I would talk to her pediatrician. I was told that this could be a sign of an ear infection or water in their ears. But I would express my concern to the dr.

A little about me:

1 / 3