My 4 Month Old Has a Lump Under Her Nipple

A couple of months ago I noticed a pea sized lump under my daughters nipple and now it's doubled in size. She saw her former pediatrician on October 13th and she said that it was normal. She said that it was from me feeding her formula and not breast feeding and that the formula has hormones in it from the cows. After I got home that day I said to myself "wait a minute Layla is on soy formula" so I looked at the ingredients. There wasn't any cows milk in it at all. The doctor didn't even tell me what the lump was. She just told that it was normal. Layla will be going to another doctor on November 1st and I hope he can tell me what it is. I don't think it's cancerous or anything because it's soft and mobile. I've been told by one of my Gyno's that cancer is hard and doesn't move. Well I hope to get a few replies on the subject. It's really bothering me.

Well Layla's doctor told me the lump was nothing to worry about and it's from my hormones still coming out in her. He said the variations in the size are also normal and just keep an eye on it. So I guess I'll chill out and quit being a hypochondriac. LOL. I love her new doctor he actually explained things to me and he was very pleasant to be around. The only problem is that I don't think Layla cares for him to much. As soon as he started his exam she started wailing. Oh well I suppose she'll get used to him or at least I hope she does. Well thanks ladies for all of your comments. They were very helpful.

Mnay years ago when my now 33 year old daughter was little I had the same problem and immediately paniced because my Mom had just died from breast cancer. The way the pediatrician explained it to me it was a residual of hormones from me from birth and that it would go away. She was also bottle fed and that issue never even came up. I would go to a new Dr. also but relax and try not to worry it is probably nothing.

I would get a new pediatrician.

Dear D.,
I would suggest a second opinion so I am glad you are doing that. Any lump should be checked out!!! I wish you luck! K.

I did not have this situation with my daughter but I do now that infants may get breast lumps related to estrogen from the mother. The lump will generally go away on its own as the estrogen clears the baby's body. It is suppose to be very common for young babies to have swelling of their breast tissue because of their mom's hormones in the womb and I heard in cases it can last well into the first year. I would not worry too much just make sure you get her into the doctor as soon as possible and get all of your questions answered. Don't be afraid to call the doctor's office with more questions you think about once you leave like the soy milk. Cancer in infants is so rare that I would say she is fine, it might also be a cyst. Good Luck!

I couldn't be begin to know what it is, but you're doing the right thing by taking her to a second doctor. If they give you the same line, call a third. If worse comes to worse, take her to your doctor, and let them know what the pediatricians are saying. Don't slack on this issue...please let us know how it all turns out!

God Bless you and your sweet baby...

Ok now I have a question about that question... My lil girl (4 months old) has that right now in her left nipple. How long does it take to go away and was it only in one nipple or both??? I'm worried because my good friends daughter is fighting what the Dr. Thinks to he breast cancer and she is 3 years old.

It might just be breast tissue. I heard that sometimes babies get extra breast tissue. Another thing it might be is what my daughter has. I think its called a hemagioma?? I'm not sure on spelling. A lot of babies get these and they are little lumps under their skin (they have something to do with blood vessels) However, my daughters had red markings on it on her skin almost like a little birthmark. Hers was on her stomach and I thought she might have a hernia! So, don't worry until the doctor tells you that something is wrong because chances are this lump is totally normal.

Hi I am a new member but and old greatgrandma. My daughter which is now 44 had the same thing you are talking about under her nipple when she was a few months old. The pediatrician said it was normal and I suppose it mush have been because it disappeared. I hope yours does too.

1 / 3