My 3Month Old Son Have a Cough Anr Runny Nose What Should I Do???

Ok my son is 3months & he has a cough & runny nose but he dont have a fever but im a 1st time mom & idk what to do. Im still tryna get his insurance 2gether what can i do... I dnt want 2 take him 2 the er bcuz its not that bad my aunt told me 2 give him infant advil....

I wouldn't give him anything (medicine) without speaking to the doctor. My son had a cold at 5 months. The doctor told me there isn't much you can do at that age. You can use baby saline drops (Baby isle in grocery store) along with baby nose syringe. (Again, Baby Isle at grocery store.. try stop and shop). You can also try using a humidifer. At night you may want to prop up the mattress a little. Put a wedge or blanket under his crib mattress. Elevating his head will help with congestion.

I would never give a baby that age any kind of medicine without a doctor prescribing it!!!
My almost 4 year old son just had a cold, runny nose, stuffy at times, etc...developed a cough after the cold was gone and the cough sounds horrible. My ped...even for a 4 year old said he doesn't need any medication. He's not sick, the virus is working itself out. So we are doing the old school stuff...
Sitting in a steamy bathroom for 10 minutes. I've been putting that Johnson's vapor bath in there and he breathes it. I put some vicks on his throat and chest and back. They make a very mild one for babies (NON medicated). We keep the humidifier on at night. He is getting better. I would suggest the same things for you UNLESS he developes a fever or is lethargic or something like that. Then you have to take him to the doc...or the ER if you have no other option at this point. He is very little, so you don't want to wait if he gets any kind of fever.
I hope he'll feel better soon!!

A., don't give your child advil. Advil is for children 6 months of age and older. It can cause serious problems with the kidneys if given in children younger than 6 months. Additionally, advil only treats things like fevers and inflammation, and not colds...

Why don't you have insurance yet? In many states, you can get insurance for your child even if you don't have a job or if your job offers no benefits.

I would recommend that you see a doctor right away. Online resources like MamaSource are good places to start but they do not substitute for doctors. We don't know what your child looks like. We can't do physical exams. As you say, don't go to the ER if you feel your child is not that sick. You'll be stuck with a bill that you may not be able to pay. Find a local pediatrician, make an appointment, state that you don't have insurance and ask can you pay for a visit out of pocket. An honest pediatrician will charge you no more than $45-75 for what's called a sick visit. Then, make sure that you don't find yourself in this position again -- get your insurance situation straightened out ASAP.

On the other hand, if your child is really sick, you have no choice but to go to the emergency room, but prepared to pay a bill. While you are there, state that you have no insurance (or you need help to get it ready to use right away) and usually a social worker should be there to help you with that. If you really have insurance but paperwork and stuff like that is pending, they may be able to use your insurance right away and you won't have a big bill.

Get a humidifier. Or a vaporizer that you can add vicks menthol drops too. You can also buy vicks vapor rub, rub it on his chest under his clothes. Be careful with this, where you rub it, keep it away from his face and eyes. It can burn his nose/nostril b/c it is so strong. Make sure he gets plenty of fluids, and watch for other symptoms i.e. fever, vomiting, diarrhea. Also prop his bed up, elevate his head, this will help his sinuses to drain. We used a wedge type pillow, some people just put some books or blocks under one end of the crib. You can also take him into a steamy bathroom before bed.
Advil will not help for this.

I hope he'll feel better soon!!

Dear A.:
Please take your little one to a doctor ASAP. Colds usually have to run their course but it is highly recommended that due to the immaturity of your child's immune system at this age..any child with a cold who is under 6 months should see a doctor. It could so easily turn into something much worse. Also I would not give him any medication unless told specifically by a doctor as you may not know which dosage to give him or it could lead to more harm than good. In the meantime, up his fluid intake. It is important to keep hydrated. Use an aspirator in nose as well as saline drops for babies that will loosed hardened mucus. You might also want to try vicks baby rub made especially for babies 3 months and older. Good Luck!

Babies under 6 months of age can not have motrin/advil/ibuprofen. They can only have tylenol. And if he has no fever I wouldn't give it to him anyway. The most you can do is spray saline in his nose and suction him out. It works pretty well, actually. And if he does develop a fever then you should take him to his pediatrician and not the ER. The ped will work with you on price and let you pay off the visit until you get his insurance settled. The ER will not and will just send you a bill and then send you to collections when you don't pay it. If he has no fever just suction his nasal passages well. There is really nothing more that can be done at this point. Just make sure that he is breathing comfortably and not gasping for air. Good luck!

Please don't give him any medicine without speaking to your dr. I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old and the only thing i give without Dr approval is infant tylenol.
That being said, my littlest is also currently congested. I have placed a pillow under the crib mattress(he is actually in the pack and play still in our room so the pillow is under the pad) the elevation helps the congestion and he can sleep.

no advil for a baby that young. you could use a cool mist humdifier for the cough and for the runny noe use nasal saline and keep his crib elevated.
good luck.

Hi A.:

Have you researched the negative effects of infant advil? Another option is to utilize natural remedy to care for your son's health.

Organic Mommy & Baby Healthcare Solutions is a natural therapy service that you can consult with. Visit webpage at www.wholecreations.com/wombfull.html and call office for an appointment ###-###-####).

All the best,
N.
Holistic Healthcare Provider

1 / 3