My 3 Year Old Still Has Very Little Hair

My daughter turned 3 in October & she still has very little hair. It's not even to the bottom of her neck. The top is getting thicker but not longer & in the front, it's very thin. She is very small (only 25 pounds) and between that & the lack of hair, she looks much younger than 3. The doctor hasn't shown any concern over it, he says it will come in eventually. He ran some blood test to rule out any disorder & all came back fine. I'm just concerned that she doesn't have hair yet even though the doctor says she fine. Has anyone else experieinced this?

Thank you

My cousin had, what I would call, peach fuzz until she was almost 5! She now has a full head of hair! The rest of my counsins had more hair at a younger age and my aunt worried about it but the doctor told her that it just happened sometimes and it would eventually grow in.

My nephew was the same way. He was completely bald until 14 months. His hair, when it did start to grow, grew in so slow! He was also very small for his age. Being a boy it wasnt that big of a deal but my sister and I both still worried. (on a side note he also had a soft spot that didnt close for forever) Eventually his hair grew and now he is 13 and has the thickest hair out of all of us, which is really saying something in my family. I think as long as the Dr. isn't worried you shouldn't either:) It will grow in...but I too have heard that if you give it a trim it stimulates growth.

I too had little hair. My mom always says that she could not even get a baby barrette to stay in my hair until I was five. It just took a while to grow in because my hair is very fine. It is still fine, but I have lots of it. I'm sure your daughter will have wonderful, lovely hair in a few years. :)

My daughter will turn 3 in March. She has yet to even consider her first haircut. (I just couldn't shave her head for wishing she had more hair though). Her front is no where close to her eyes and the back is slighly longer. I console myself by looking at pictures of her and noticing that that little wisp that sticks out behind her ear has gone from the top of her ear to the bottom of her ear in the last year and a half (I know-wow!). She is often mistaken as a boy even in pink clothes. I have clips for her hair called "no slippy hair clippy" which have magnets in them. They are quite spendy and she is not a big fan of them so I save them for special occasions. I guess I am telling you that I know how you feel--It seems a bit shallow or vain to wish my daughter had hair and I know she is beautiful as she is. I can't help wishing she had some tresses. I know eventually they will come. Patience, I tell myself.

At the age of 3, my friend's daughter was pretty bald. She actually used to march up to people and say "I'm a girl, you know!!" We had to laugh, but obviously the baldness was an issue and she knew it. Anyway, to make a long story short, she's a very well-adjusted 14-year-old now with beautiful, thick, ringlets down past her shoulders. Her hair started growing more and more and by the time she went to school, she was fine. Hope that helps.

Thanks God, at least everything is fine with her. I would suggest that you stop worry and if you really want to do something about it, go and buy 2 cute hats and just shave (do not cut it) shave her hair. When it is shaved the hair comes much stronger, much thicker and much quicker. Shave it at least couple of times. You will be amazed with the results. I know it is sounds weird to have your little girl head completely bold for a while, but the trick really works. And I'm sure that you have seen results like that if you ever had shaved your legs or private areas. Good luck!

I know it sounds weird but try cutting it. My son's hair came in a lot quicker after his first hair cut.

Happy birthday to your little girl! Our daughter also turned 3 in October. :-)

I've talked to our daughter's hair dresser (that's funny, she has one but I don't) about her hair. She has a full head of hair, but there's still a lot of that baby hair and it's really fine. Anyways, she said that it can take until age 5 for kids to get their actual hair. It can even drastically change in texture and color right around that age. I don't think it's that uncommon for 3-year olds to not have much hair - unfortunately, it's much more noticeable on little girls (especially when you see the rare 2-year old with the thickest, longest hair you've ever seen).

Both my husband's sister and my mom's sister were practically bald until after age 3. And, when it did start coming in, it was so blond/white that you could barely see it. Eventually they got a full-head of hair and it didn't stay that light.

The hairdresser did recommend cutting it by now (even if there's not much to trim). She said that it will grow better and keep it healthier. So, if you haven't, you might want to take her for her first cut. :-) I highly recommend a kid's salon, they make all the difference in the world. It's the ONE time out daughter will actually sit still and enjoy herself.

1 / 3