My 3 Year Old Is Vomiting

Hello moms,

My son I think has his first stomach flu, he is 3. WHAT DO I DO????
I am not good at this kind of thing, not that anyone is. But does anyone have any great ideas or miracle cures you can pass my way?? Thanks for your time.

The biggest thing is to keep him Hydrated. If he keeps vomiting for more than a couple of days, take him in to the DR. I usually just get told to keep him hydrated. I hope he gets better.

My son had that and it was aweful. Watch out you'll get it too! Pedi light is the only thing that you can do. As long has he can keep it in is sytem for at least 10 min. before he vomits again. It is working.

get some cola an let it go flat it will settle his tummy

Hey, T.,

There are some homeopathic remedies that can stop vomiting in minutes to hours, after a single dose. With no side effects! I'd recommend getting a little booklet on remedies for children, and keep a few of the basics on hand. They're also great for bruises and injuries, high fevers, stings, bites, and a variety of other childhood issues.

E. Mendenhall, ND

Make sure he is getting LOTS of fluids. Pedialyte (sp?) is great. Once they get dehydrated they will keep vomiting more and more and then get more dehydrated. It is a viscious circle. Have you taken him to his pediatrician?
Oh, and popsicles are great too. They have to eat them slow, and you are getting just a little sugar in them for some energy as well as "fluids". The all natural fruit juice ones are the ones I would recommend.

I lay down towels where he is resting so clean up is a bit easier and the mess doesn't spread as easily. I also give him only clear liquids! His last bout of 24 hour flu, he looked like he did not feel well (I knew his cousin just had it) so I put him to bed on top of towels. Sure enough he threw up. At least clean up was limited to the towels and the bed spread. After that I only offered him clear liquids until his fever broke. He was much happier than the last time he was sick and I let him eat.
So nut shell: lay down towels for easy clean up and push liquieds and with hold solids.

We all had a horrid GI bug when my son was 5 (his first). We gave him a bowl when he was in bed or towel and asked him to try to throw up on that. Ginger ale on ice and chick soup and dry toast when he is ready to eat again...but do push fluids, not too sugary, watered down juice or 7-up or ginger ale (ginger has a calming effect on the stomach) or hot tea, if that feels better. Be prepared for the other end, as that often goes with it....and is worse to clean up!

HI T.,

My daughter who is three had a horrible stomach flu last year. She threw up and had the runs for several days. Luckily she was still nursing at the time so she got some fluids in her but not much. She was very sick and then got an ear infection on top of it. I was visiting my mom in Cal and both she and I got sick. Talk about misery! So I feel for you.

What I learned is to watch for signs of dehydration (dry skin to the touch, deep set circles under eyes, very weak, unable to hold down fluids for at least 20 mins) If you suspect that he is getting dehydrated take him to a clinic or his doctor at once. Also watch for signs of other complications like an ear infection which can easily happen after the flu. Give him ice chips until he stops vomiting for 24 hrs. Then introduce small amounts of crackers until he can hold those down. Stay away from dairy or anything acidic for several days but do give him probiotics to help his digestive system heal. You can find them at PCC. And make sure to get some support for yourself. The sleepless nights nearly did me in!

Hope he gets well soon and you stay well.

Also - I am so sorry to hear about the disease your second child has. I do believe in miracles as it sounds like you do too. Still it has got to be heartbreaking and I wanted to acknowledge that.

Mom to Savonnah
Snoqualmie

Hi T. :)
Just make sure your little one has plenty of fluids. Most of the time, you just have to let him ride it out. If he is not able to keep any fluids down, or gets diarreah, I would call your doctor and talk to him or her. As for your little one you are carrying, the doctors don't know everything. Keep your faith and remember......God knows a lot more than the doctors ever did or will!

Best of luck...

1 / 3