My 3 Year Old Is Still Obsessed with My Breasts After Nursing Has Stopped

I stopped nursing my son when he was 20 mos. Now he is 40 mos, and still obsessed with my breasts! Sometimes I feel that they are like a security blanket because he likes to put his hand in my shirt when he is upset. But, he also likes to do it at other times like when I am sitting next to him or when I'm holding him. He also likes to pull up my shirt and look and them, touch them and on occasion, lay his head on one and say "i love you boobie"! I know it sounds funny and somewhat inappropriate but is this normal? I don't so much have a problem with it, but others do and it is quite embarrassing if he does it in public. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. Thanks!

Huh. Well, my husband is 40 years old--he's still obsessed with my breasts, too. He would totally pull up my shirt and say, "I love you, boobie" if he thought for one minute that he could get away with it. Total Y-chromosome behavior.

Okay! (Jennifer w) I HAVE HAD SUCH A GREAT LAUGH FOR TODAY!! THanks so much!!! You are so correct. Men never stop...

My son will be 3 in May and I only nursed him for about 6 mos. He started rubbing on my breasts when he was about 2 yrs old and got rid of his pacifiers. Yes, more than one. He would carry around 3 or 4 at the same time. He uses my breasts as a pacifier, mostly when he goes 2 sleep (we have a family bed). He also does it when he is really upset and when he is sick.He has tried and learned that we don't do it anywhere else but home. At first I thought something wrong of it and of course my husband didn't like it, but then I think about how some women still breatfeed their children to age 5. I don't feel it is inappropriate in the privacy of your own home, it is nurturing. I chose to enjoy my bonding with him knowing that it is a phase he will soon outgrow.

Just like sucking thumb or the binky, I bet the breast is a form of security and comfort for your son. If you want him to stop, you may want to sit him down and explain that you don't want him to do that anymore and whenever he does, just gently remind him. It might take a while to break the habit.

My son has a bad habit of playing with his belly button and to ween him off we started telling him not to do it in public. Now we are at the point of not letting him play with his belly button at all. We are still working on it and constantly have to remind him.

My son stopped nursing at 9 months but he would also put his hand down my shirt for a long time after he stopped. When he couldn't do that he would put his hand down his own shirt. The problem was it would also do it to grandma and aunts. I think that your son is a little old to be doing this behavior still though. Of course it is also my opinion that 20 months is way to old to be nursing. Not to offend, but you did ask if it was "normal." So, anyway, I would just remove my sons hand and not make a big deal out of it and eventually he stopped. If he is doing this a year and 8 months after stopping breast feeding it sounds like you need to do more to discourage it. Remind him to respect your personal space.

I nursed my 3 yr. old son till he was just over a year when I became pregnant with his baby sister. He has seen me nurse her and we have had lots of conversations about "mommy milk". He too was obsessed with my breast. I have curved his obsession by letting him know that this is my body and that mommies have breasts for feeding babies and that now that he is a big boy he gets hugs and kisses and other praise for comfort and a job well done. It really helped to stay on top of acknolleging when he was being a big boy. I hope this helps.

I have a similiar situation. I nursed my son until he was 16 months old, he is now 41 months old. He is obsessed with my belly, I also think it is a security blanket for him. He usually only asks for "belly" when he is tried, but when he does it other times or in public I remind him that he only gets belly when it is bed time. Even though when he is sitting next to me watching TV I let it slide sometimes. It doesn't bother me, but it does my husband at times. I am not sure when this behavior will subside, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!

I am still nursing my 28 month old but only morning nap if she takes one and always bedtime.. then again only if she is ill will she get it on demand... i ran into a problem where i discovered just how much she depends on this as a security issue, whenever her older sister would leave after visiting she would come to my lap or hang on me(you know the way)because she really missed her and would cry too and couldnt really express herself and if i ignored her request to nurse she would just go and find way to masterbate...(her ped dr said its fine ... and some friend said once to me well at least she isn't going to hit someone or a pet or biting etc for stress relief) i discovered that my child is using nursing to console herself, she is verbally behind by about 1 year and while she adores my still chubby belly and will rub it for comfort she hasnt tried too much of the focus on my breast and I DO plan to wean her by 2 and half as is customary for our religion and culture... I think its not really a boy or girl issue its the only real true comfort souce of contentment to them in their entire lives however age they are now... we live in a society that is so apparent to strangers or friends rather than close family and while this creates situations where embarassment can creep in... most other nursing moms totally can relate to what you are going through and those that havent yet endure or accomplished nursing an older toddler seem to pass judgement when its quite natural in most parts of the world to nurse a child into their 3's. oh and i think its quite normal and even if its not who cares, he will grow up secure and loved,and thats what really counts

1 / 3