My 3 Year Old Is Limping

My 3 year old has been limping on and off for 5 days now. She woke up on Saturday morning and said her knee hurt and we noticed she was limping most of the morning but then it seemed to get better. She has had no falls or other incidents we are awar of. She was fine the next day but limped part of the day Monday. There is no bruising or abrasions. There may be some slight swelling but it is really hard to tell as her legs are kind of chubby and not too well defined to begin with. She does not wince when you touch it or squeeze around the area and is really not complaining, just limping. Also, has had no fever. I am completely perplexed as to what is going on. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I would advise you to take her to the doctor and get an xray of her knee - if she is limping then something is wrong.

Honestly , If you cannot explain the limp, take her to the dr. There may be nothing wrong, and I dont want to panic you, but when my son was 2, he started having discomfort in his hip. no bruises, we thought he had twisted it in his sleep, took him to the er for xrays, showed nothing. There was no fever, nothing but tenderness. I took him to his own dr the next day, they discovered a severe infection in his hip socket. He was in surgery before the day was out. This is something that only affects 1 percent of the population. The point is thought if i hadnt checked it out, the results could have been life long. Dont wait. have it checked out. It is probably nothing, but better to rule issues out .
A.

My only suggestion would be to watch out for fever as you are doing. My son had similar but more severe symptoms than what you described along with a fever. We landed in the hospital. He had to have 2 surgeries to clear a mysterious and nasty infection. Good luck. I hope for your daughter's sake it is merely a sprain or something of that sort. Best wishes for swift recovery.

You should be calling your pediatrician and running it by them it could be just growing pains or it could be something more serious or it could be absolutely nothing at all.

My daughter actually broke her fibula and walked all the way home. She was limping but able to walk. I took her to the ER and found out it was broken and the reason she could still walk without serious pain at all times was because it was not a weight bearing bone. I never would have thought she had a broken bone, I only thought she twisted it. I'd have it checked out as soon as you can.

I don't mean to scare you, but GET HER to the DOCTOR!!!!! It could be nothing, but it could be something as serious as bone cancer. Thats how a lot of it is first noticed. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, but don't take their brushing it off. Push for an MRI if you feel it's necessary. Good Luck!!

Have you called your doctor? She probably should go.

Take her to the Dr. as soon as you can, only they can tell you what is wrong.

My daughter had similar symptoms, with a slight limp, at age 4. I did not see any swelling but Dr said later that there was some minor swelling in her knee. My daugters symptoms got steadily worse though and after several days, she was unable to bear any weight on one leg. We spent 5 hours in the ER on Christmas Eve morning and it turned out to be Lyme Disease. Was treated and she is now great with no after affects.

1 / 3