My 3 Year Old Is Constipated

Hi there,
I have a problem that I need help with. I have a 3 year old girl who has been potty trained, but is having trouble going potty for #2. She states that she holds it in because it hurts. I give her prune juice every morning and also she loves to eat dried prunes, but is doesn't seem to help her, she is constatnly afraid that it will hurt. I have explained to her that she needs to let it out, but no success yet.
Does anybody have any suggestions? I would truly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much to everyone that responded.
I was so happy yesterday when my little girl cried mommy from the bathroom and had passed two balls of BM. I know she still has some inside, but at least it's an improvement. I did tell her that if she kept it in I would have to take her to the doctor and they would put a huge needle in her little butt, also that she could not watch anymore TV if she held it in. Seemed to work yesterday :)
I'll try some miralax and other suggestions.
Thanks again and god bless.

The step stool is a good idea--it is hard to relax for a a child hanging onto the big toilet--I had one for my kids when they were little. Probiotics are necessary for most people, and look into food sensitivites, dairy foods and gluten foods are a big cause of constipation or IBS that is often overlooked. I remember when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter and had increased my use of dairy thinking I needed it--I was severely constipated much of the time, once I ate a whole jar of prunes and drank 2 jars of prune juice which did not do anything except make me more bloated! Later when I learned about dairy allergies I quit dairy and most of the problems went away and later quit all gluten containing foods and no more bowel problems!

Two pieces of advice given to family members by doctors are: put mineral oil in juice (whatever juice is a favorite) it's supposed to help #2 slide right out. The other is a children's laxative. Good luck!
H.

My 3 year old son was also constipated. The doctor ordered an x-ray and saw that he was backed up. He complained a lot of belly aches. She told us to add some Miralax to his juice in the morning. He doesn't notice since it's only about a teaspoon that we give him and drinks his apple juice with no problem. Since we started, his stools have been easier to pass and we have gotten no complaints about a tummy ache. By the way, Miralax used to be a prescription, but now it is over the counter. I hope this helps. It is not fun to see a little one in pain.

She might have an anal fissure. I'd take her to the doctor to see. If she does, acidophilus helps. She could eat yogurt to get that. Good luck.

This does seem very common my son had it as well when he was this age until he was 4. Our Dr perscribed Metamucill which worked ok but then I put him on activa I got the vanilla flavored and put it in his sippy cup and put water in to fill it up shake it up and give him a "milkshake" every morning after a few days he has been regular ever since he is almost 5 and we still do this every day. I have since swithced to the Meijer brand which is probiotic and he always asks for his milkshake. I am praying that his younger brother does not have this issue. Best of luck.

dear M.,

hi. i have a now 5 yr old grandson, who, at the time as a young toddler, had the very same problem. it was on-going, and caused alot of problems. my son for some reason started giving him soy milk. it was like magic! within a few days to a week, my grandson started going on his own, daily! they tried a couple times putting him back on regular 2% milk, and had bad consequences...back to constipation and not wanting to go. you might give it a try! it can't hurt anything, and if it worked, it would be well worth it for everyone involved. oh, my grandson's FAVORITE flavor is vanilla, and very vanilla!! he LOVES it!! LOL they put it on his cereal and everything!

best of luck with all,

M.,
Have you ever checked out www.askdrsears.com? He has an excellent A-Z index and under "C" he gives great suggestions about constipation. I had to look it up because my 10 month old was getting constipated! One of the great suggestions he gave was mixing flax seed oil into foods or drinks. Its a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, unlike mineral oil which doesn't, but has the same effect as mineral oil. I have been mixing it in with my son's yogurt in the mornings. It really doesn't have a taste. And, the probiotics might help (yogurt).

Two Fiber Gummies a day. My son was having a horrible time going poop and once we started the Gummi bear regimen it cleared up in a couple of days. Yesterday he went poop and then started yelling my name. When I got to the bathroom he said "Look mommy, it doesn't hurt anymore" It works.

My pediatrician recommended Miralax. My son, who is 18 months now, sometimes has problems as well. He uses the clear powdered form that has no flavor and I put it in with his drinks. You would probably need to check with your child's pediatrician or the pharmacist to make sure that you get the correct dosage. It doesn't make it runny it just makes it softer so that it will come out easier. He is normally a very content kid but when he is constipated, not so much. He is much more himself since we started using the Miralax to help him out. :o) Hope it helps.

On top of the prune juice give her oatmeal. The type of oatmeal I used for my son when he had this problem was weight cotrol oatmeal made by Quaker. It has 6g of fiber in each package. When you go shopping look for high fiber foods, and drinks which should help after a little bit of time. Good luck.

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 boys ages 10,7, and 4.

1 / 3