My 3 Month Old Has Green Poop

My 3 month old is really gassy, he has been since he was born..so the doctor put him on a formula that's sup post to help. well ever since he turned 2 months old is poop has been really green and smells really really bad. i asked the doctor she said nothings wrong. But i kinda think there is. and he's still really gassy. he's not getting anything but formula. whats do you think could be wrong?

I don't think the green color is a problem. I think my pediatrician says green was from a lot of carbs. Can't remember tho. I had breast feeding troubles so I pumped exclusively for the first 3 mos. My supply decreased, so I had to start using formula. First just one bottle a day. Once I was up to almost half formula per day, that's when I noticed problems with gas. Now my son is fairly gassy, but at this point, it was clear that the gas was causing him to be uncomfortable, fussy, and cry. I had originally used regular Enfamil. I switched to Gentlease, but my husband & I did not care for the primary ingredient being corn syrup solids (or something like that). The formula was very sweet & sticky. We ended up switching to Nestle Good Start. The one we used was actually a bit more expensive, but no more gas pains & troubles. Perhaps you need to try other formulas

Sometimes it's brown, or orangey, sometimes it's green, like neon green, grassy green, blue if they eat blueberries...as long as it's not black.

I have 3 kids and 1 is 5 mos, all had (have) green poop when I stated to give formula before having solids. When my babies were exclusively breastfed, poop was yellow. Once adding the formala (to supplement) the poop turned green. It is the formula, what it is made of. What goes in is what comes out sometimes. As far as the smell....formula smells bad before its digested, so yuck! and the poor babies, can't wait to suck it down and then ask for more. My 1 yr old niece had a bowl of blueberries and her poop looked like she ate smurfs. I just relized I'm writing an awful lot about poop....don't be alarmed, your baby has normal poop. Hold your breath...poop only gets worse!

My baby just turned 4 months and she has basically had green poo since she was born. She was on Breast Milk and is now on Formula for Sensitive stomachs. She isn't really gassy or anything. Doctor said it was normal and my other daughter had green poo as well.

My daughter is 2 months old and I am experiencing the same thing. Her poop has recently just started turning a little green. She was very very gassy but it is getting a little better. She is on Enfamil Lipil. The doctor doesn't seem to be worried at all. Said "this is normal. Her body is just figuring things out".

my daughter was the same way and she also get diarreha but she is find so dont worry as much jus watch if he gets a temp then you can worry.

Green poop and a rash around the anus is a sign of an allergy. Formula fed babies poop always smells really really bad.

Hi T.,
My name is J. and I myself have a 3 months old girl. As green poop is concerned, its normal. my doctor told me the same thing last time and said that the poop will be bad for 1 year!! I was also told by a friend to change my diet because I breastfeed or the other thing I could use was the formula. So far, nothing changed and the poop still the same and its annoying but I know that is how it goes with infant. How can green poop be normal? only with infant.
Try not to worry and just give it time.
J..

Hi T. I have no idea what could be wrong if there's anything wrong at all. Maybe get a second opinion. Doctor don't want babies to have solid food until they're over three months old know. So the doctor knows best. Getting advice on the internet may not be a good idea because each childs case is different.

Formula poop seems to come in quite the variety of shades! We fed both formula and breast milk and noticed everything from green to light green to tan to yellow, etc. Chances are, nothing is wrong. Before you start switching the formula (which could make things worse) or even trying to make formula on your own, perhaps get a second opinion from another pediatrician. Why take a risk of feeding your baby some homemade concoction or a special, more expensive formula he doesn't need when it is highly likely that what you are witnessing is normal?

Hey T.,
I would get him on a pro-biotic right away. If you go to Whole Foods they will be able to help you choose one that is age appropriate. We use Renew Life- I hear they're the best. Pro-biotics aid in digestion- sounds like your little one could use some. :)
Blessings,

What I learned is that yellow poop has gone through the digestive tract quickly. Green is the next stage and is perfectly appropriate for 3 mos. Brown means a slower trip and comes when whole foods are introduced. Not to worry. The smell probably comes from the unusual formula.

I would not worry at all about the green poop...I have a two month old and his poop has been green since he was about 3 weeks old. All the books and my doctor say this is totally normal! Its common to be shades of yellow and green. And my son's poop smells bad too...we always know when he poops because we almost always hear him and we can smell it! I'm not sure what to do about the gassiness but we have that too sometimes and it seems to pass on its own. Good luck!

have you tried eliminating all dairy for a bit to see if that changed? that is not normal at all. My child passed gas the other day and I realized that was the first time I heard it in a long time. Obviously she passes gas more than that but I never hear it or smell it. Good for youfor being aware! Docs sometimes just arent listening when we speak, or they think we are overreacting. If your doc isnt "hearing" you I would move on. Good luck!!!

It could also be any food allergy, not just dairy and not just intolorance. You don't say what formulas or if you are nursing (iirc)

www.kidswithfoodallergies.org is a great resource

I don't think it's normal. You may want to consult a ped allergist. We go to Children's in Glenview

Trust your mommy instincts

The green is normal enough. If he's still really gassy, have you tried gas drops?

Hi T., It is the dairy. I copied the below. Try a new doc. Whole foods may have something to offer. Good luck.

Lactose Intolerance
Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose, the sugar primarily found in milk and dairy products. It is caused by a shortage in the body of lactase, an enzyme produced by the small intestine, which is needed to digest lactose. While lactose intolerance is not dangerous, its symptoms can be distressing.

What Are the Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance?
Symptoms of lactose intolerance include:

Nausea
Cramps
Painful gas
Bloating
Diarrhea
Symptoms tend to develop 30 minutes to two hours after consuming milk or dairy products. The severity of symptoms varies, depending on the amount of lactose an individual person can tolerate. Some people may be sensitive to extremely small amounts of lactose-containing foods while others can eat larger amounts before they notice symptoms.

Change formula? Go to a whole foods or other super healthy store- they have different formulas- Check out a holistic doc too.

Poor thing!

Hi T.. Even though it's been a couple years since I dealt with this, I remember we were given a "color chart" from our Pediatrician that indicated green poop was fine poop! I hope this makes you feel better!

It is likely the formula. Try as they might, science cannot make a formula that perfectly mimics human breastmilk. That is what their little tummies are made to digest. Cow's milk (what most formulas are made from) and soy are not able to be fully digested by a baby's immature system. That is why formula fed babies have more issues in this area than exclusively breastfed babies.
That being said, I'm sure it is perfectly "normal" for a formula fed baby. I never used any so I didn't have these problems with my daughter. If your heart tells you something is really wrong, I would seek a second opinion.

Green poop and gassy can mean a dairy intolerance. I'd talk to the doctor again. Is it a hydrolysed formula or just sensitive. The sensitive stuff may not be enough. You may need to go hydrolysed. I have a recipe for a homemade rice based recipe. Both my boys were on it because they were gassy with green poop. We got the recipe from a naturopathic doctor. If you are interested, send me an email.