My 20 Month Old Keeps Taking His Diaper Off!

He's 20 months old and started showing interest in his diaper & privates. But now, he always wants to take it off. I started having to use the wide clear tape and tape it all the way around. Sometimes he even gets that off. It usually happens when he goes to bed and then we find him naked in the morning, laying in his own pee! For a while, I would just tell him to leave it alone. But I got desperate & starting taping. Is this just a phase? And any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Thanks so much for the responses. We would LOVE to start potty-training, but how does one stay consistant when dad just had back surgery, Mom does EVERYTHING, and then works at night, and the kids get sat?!! I'm trying!!

My son was doing the same thing and I started trying to potty train. Although he's not doing great with the potty training, he doesn't take the pull-ups off so even if you aren't ready to start potty training, maybe you could try pull-ups. Good luck.

If he taking off his diaper's its time for him to be potty trained, start asking him if he need to go to the potty everytime he says yes take him, sometime's it will be a false alarm but he will get the hang of it and you will notice he will start heading for the bathroom by himself, thats how I got my son trained, he's 5 years old now but it was pretty easy for me try it, put him in pull up's it will be easier for both of you.

My 21 month old are same as you are.... All I do is get your 20 month old start potty training... that meant that your 20 month old did not like wear diaper ... you have to buy him training pull up to make him think that his underwear... my 21 month old go potty trainnig everyday when 21 month old tell me that 21 month old got go potty....

Good Luck in your future!!!!

It sounds like he is ready for potty training.My daughter was 18 month when she started potty training. We would put underpants on her during the day and for about 2 weeks at bed time we used pullups, then it was just underpants. she was very easy to potty train.

Guess what, Mom. It is time to potty train. He is telling you he's ready. Let him go bare bottom around the house when it won't stress you out. The best time is when you will be outside. That way he gets to know exactly what happens when he pees. I would also suggest pull-ups for the rest of the time. Congrats for being at the next step.

Sounds like your little guy is ready for potty training... instead of taping, I'd start training... doesn't mean you won't wake up with him laying in his own urine, but if he's so determined to take off his diaper, big boy underpants might really motivate him.

I would use onesies with pants over them so he can't get to his diaper, unless he knows how to take pants off, and unsnap the onesie at the crotch. Good luck.

My little girl who is also 20 months (September 20th) is doing the exact same thing. She even takes it off during the day while watching Elmo, pees on the rug in the living room, comes to get me to show me her "No, NO". All of her babies have to be naked also....put clothes on them and she freaks and wants them off! She wants her shoes OFF all the time too. I believe it's just a phase. I'm going to move her potty into her living room while she watches Elmo to see if that helps. She has gone in her potty twice (when outside) but never in the house yet. I'm really in trouble because she throws open the door when her father and brother are going pee and so now she stands up at her potty (when trying) and pees on the floor. UGH.

I wish us both luck!

Hmm. It seems like mine went through a brief phase where they did that, but it passed. What does he sleep in? If you make sure to put him in PJ's that are difficult to get to the diaper in, it might keep him from messing with it... Maybe try a different brand of diaper that fastens differently ( some of the tabs are much more difficult to pull than others --- or, it might be that he is not comfortable with the fit). Also, you could consider getting the training underwear and plastic covers for him to wear at bedtime (assuming that is the only time of day he does this)... Maybe you could tempt him to try using the potty during the day? It could, perhaps, just maybe maybe, be that he is developing an interest in that... (not likely, but it couldn't hurt to at least introduce him to the potty). Good luck. My hunch is that it is a phase he will get over quickly.

1 / 3