My 20 Month Old Has a Stomach Virus and Not Eating or Drinking!

This past weekend, my daughter stayed at her father's house. Her little cousin was there and had just gotten over a stomach virus. When she came back home on Sunday, she was vomiting everything! Then later started throwing up some green stuff. We took her to the hospital and sat in the emergency room for 6 hours! She never had a fever during this time. The doctor gave her an IV because she was so dehydrated and did not make a wet diaper for 9 hours. They finally sent her home later that morning. Since then me and my parents caught the virus, but we feeling better now. My daughter is feeling better, she playing and having fun but yesterday she was still having diarrhea. The only thing that she will drink and keep down is water. She will not drink Pedialyte. The doc told me to try Powerade and she wont take that either. We also tried Pediasure but she throws it up The doc said that there wasnt really any medication that they could give her, the virus would have to work its way out of her, and she said to try to avoid giving her juice because it can make the diarrhea worse. She said to try things like crackers, bananas, and rice. She will only eat peanut butter crackers and Goldfish crackers. I am just worried that she is not getting enough nutriance and I dont want her to go back to the hospital. Someone help!

I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I just let her eat the crackers as much as she wanted and then all of a sudden on Friday, we came home with some KFC. I went to the bathroom for 5 minutes and when i came out, she had eaten my whole bowl of mash potatos lol. I was so happy to see that she wanted some real food, but i wish i still had my potatos lol.

Don't worry, her body is telling her what to eat and what not to eat. Water is the best thing for her. If she is keeping down the goldfish and p'nut butter crackers than she is doinbg good. Each day will get better. The diarrhea is just the last part. She'll be okay. Just give her lots and lots of love and Saty away from anything dairy for at least a week.

hey, try mixing gatoraide the clear kind with water....half and half, i did that to my 18 month old and she didnt know the difference of it from regular water......she will know when she is ready to eat just make sure you keep liquids in her no matter what........soon enough she will be back to normal and all will be ok...they say that toddlers know how much they have to take in to survive......so just be patient.......they do have the pedialyte popsicles

Hi S., I agree with Jennifer. But stay away from sugar popsicles. Get the pedialite popsicles. The sugar will make her feel worse and make diarrhea worse.

both of my kids had this a few weeks ago, try filling a medicine dropper up with poweraid and give it to her every 5 minutes, this will keep enough fluids in her to keep her outta of the hospital, (this is what my childrens doc told me to do or she was going to admit my daughter that day) if you can get her to sip chicken broth or chicken soup it would also help her she needs the sodium because she has probably lost it all, and this will make her thristy. she is probably too young for any nausa medicine the doc. can gice you my son was.

good luck,

HI!! First of all, let me say that you are doing everything right!! We just got over this nasty stomach virus as well. My son who is 2...starting throwing up last Wednesday...it took him over a week for him to feel better. He wasn't eating anything, had diarrhea for almost 4 days and threw up for almost a week off and on. We had in the doctors office too and they said it would pass. My husband and I got sick too. This stomach virus is a rough one, but it will pass and she will feel better. She is getting enough nutrients...as long as she is having wet diapers, she is okay. I gave my son juice diluted with water because he won't drink the pedalite either!! oh, and he only ate crackers with peanut butter and I did give him soup (the gerber gradute soups) that helped.
I know it is hard to see your baby sick, but just continue to give her lots of love and she will feel better in no time!!!!

So sorry you are so worried!
Well just so you know my doctor told us the same thing. As long as she is drinking and making we diapers she is staying hydrated. When she is ready to eat she will start eating and make up for all of the food she hasn't eaten.

The doctor told us when (by the way I have a 3yr boy and 2yr girl) they vomit and have diarrhea it is their bodies way of getting the virus out of their system to let it take its course. I know it is hard to watch her go through it. I can tell you everyone is right with sugar comes worse Diarrhea. You don't want that either.

Also with the crackers, Peanut butter is a good source of nutrients, try making peanut butter with saltines/Ritz. (copied from site: Besides being fun to eat and delicious, USA peanuts and peanut butter are nutritious! One ounce of peanuts is a good source of protein. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)* one ounce of dry-roasted peanuts provides more than 13% of the daily reference value (DRV) per serving. Peanuts and peanut butter contain several vitamins and minerals. Peanuts are good sources of vitamin E and B vitamins. A USDA report shows peanuts supply minerals such as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium and zinc.)

Hang in there girl! She will be fine, just keep the water coming/fruit two o (flavored water with no sugar added), might be a good replacement too! Good luck! A. www.busymomsworkathome.com

try some popcicles. i think pediasure makes them now. maybe waffles too. add a littl syrup, or at kroger they have these pre packaged waffles that are ready to eat you just open and serve. my kids like them. i went through this back in march my 4yr who was 3 then was hospitalized for the stomach virus.she was vomiting blood. and was there for 2 or 3 nights. but if your girl is drinking water that is good. J.

These things happen and just need to run their course. So long as you are able to get her to drink water you are fine. Dehydration is your worst enemy. As for eating, let her eat what she'll eat when she'll eat it. She knows what is making her tummy hurt, so if she'll eat peanut butter crackers and goldfish only, so be it. It won't last forever. When she's hungry she will let you know. She will not become malnutritioned because of this. Remember how you feel when you have the flu, and remember that you don't eat either. She will come around, but pushing her to eat will only frustrate the both of you. Water is key. So long as you keep her drinking that, you will be fine. If it goes on more then a week, I'd call the pediatrician. There is something over the counter, Emetrol, that helps with the nausea and upset stomach due to flu. You can look it up online and buy it at your local grocer. A 2 year old takes 1-2 teaspoonfuls. Your 20 month old is probably close enough to take it. Ask the pharmacist what dosage would be good for your little one. It helps.

1 / 3