My 2 Yr. Old Is Having Trouble Talking All of a Sudden

I’ve been noticing over the past couple of weeks that my 2 ½ yr. old son has started stumbling and almost stuttering over his words. I’m worried that he may be having some sort of problem but I’m also wondering if his vocabulary is growing faster than his brain can keep up with. He’s always spoken very well and never had to search for his words. He tries to tell a story and says a lot of uh’s and repeats words like “and, and, and” and stuff like that. He’s also started getting very upset very easily about transitioning from one task to another over things he’s never had trouble with before. Like completely falling apart when he goes to the dinner table because his plate is not on the table yet, or not wanting to take a bath (one of his favorite things to do). He goes to day care and switched to a new class about 2 months ago and seemed to being doing great so I don’t know if that’s something that could be bothering him. I’m also 7 months pregnant so that could be it too, or maybe it’s just the fact that he’s 2. My biggest concern is they way his talking as taken a downward spiral. Should I be worried about that enough to call the pedi or wait a little while longer? Sorry to be so long winded and thanks in advance for any input you have to offer!

~G.

My son did this exact same thing! I talked to my pedi and he suggested I keep a log of what he was saying, what was going on at the time, etc. for a day. The log was very helpful. We did meet with the ECI person - they were great. The case worker determined (through playing and talking with my son and watching him play with friends at home) that he didn't need special help. She seemed to think that the problem was basically he was thinking faster than he was able to get the words out, causing frustration, which brought on the other high-strung-like behaviors. She said he was aware that it wasn't coming out like he wanted it to and that he was sensitive to that. She suggested that we just let him take as much time as he needed to say something. She also suggested that if he's noticibly upset to have him stop, take a deep breath, think about the words, then say them. Then we repeat back what we heard him say so he'll know we understood his point. She said it is very common in verbally advanced children and that he'd be able to work through it - and he did. It lessened over time and is completely gone now. Hang in there. Don't be afraid to call ECI - they are great and you'll gain some peace of mind. Try the log idea - the more data you can produce for the experts, the better!

I do think you should call your doctor and talk to them about what is going on. You should not be too stressed at the end of your pregnancy, but some of what you described can be cause for concern. A consult with your pediatrician should either put your mind at ease or let you know what else to look for. I hope it is nothing, but you should definitely check it out.

G.,

I'm no expert - but I wouldn't want you to be worrying about anything at 7 months pregnant!!! Just call your pediatrician - it's worth atleast a call - to ease your mind - and go from there!

God bless!!

My daughter did the same thing at about the same age. She would get very frustrated and throw horrible temper tantrums. Even though we took her to the pediatrician and had her ears checked, etc. and he said everything was fine, we did wind up taking her to Calliers in Dallas as they do multitude of testing for many problems. We found out through testing, that she had excessive fluid behind her eardrums that was blocking her hearing even though she had never had an ear infection! She was getting frustrated because she KNEW she couldn't communicate like she wanted to, nor hear/understand us.
Pediatricians do not have the right equipment to "see" the fluid or other problems like specialists do. After having ear tubes put in, within a WEEK she started talking almost normal again for her age, but we did continue for a while with speech therapy to play "catch-up" as this is a crucial time for speech. Her tantrums also went away.

She's 12 now and everything is just fine!

My son did the same thing at that age. We were worried, but my mother in law who keeps kids said that tended to happen to some of the one she watcbes. On the bright side, she said that it was usually the smarter kids that had this problem, because they knew more words than they were able to pronounce. By the age of three, my son has completely outgrown this problem. He now speaks better than just about any kid his age! Good luck.

As a teacher of preschoolers I saw this happen sometimes to my students. I wouldn't say that it is something that is common but it can happen and can be corrected with some coaching from a speech therapist. It is kind of like the brain is moving faster than his mouth will go for him and doubled with some frustration it makes it worse. He is developing by leaps and bounds now and it can get hard for everything to work together in sync for him. :)

Put your mind at ease and just call Early Child Intervention (ECI). It is free to have your child evaluated by a Trained Child Speech Pathologist.
If they find nothing wrong fantastic, but if they do find something that needs watching or help, they have what you would need in the services for help.

ECI also has Occupational Therapist and Therapist that can help evaluate your son for sensory and sensitivity issues as well as personality changes. (You said he has suddenly developed an Upset at transitioning from task and a new dis-like for baths, etc.)

If it turns out there is a problem, if I remember correctly they will also do All Therapy based on income or for free by trained therapist. The earlier you can get intervention and Therapy, if their is a problem, the better the out come will be.

I've been in your boat. Its hard having the extra worry when you are expecting, but everything will be ok. From my experience, 7 Years later I can tell you calling ECI was the best thing I ever did for my Son back then. If intervention is needed... the earlier you can get it, the better.

OH boy is this familiar. My daughter did the same thing. We didn't do speech therapy for her nor were we advised to. I would sometimes just coach her & remind her to slow down. The stuttereing just passed mostly on its own. I can't even remember how long it lasted. The funny thing is that my MIL used to always tell me how her one of her sons went through a stage that he studdered all the time because his brain was working faster than his mouth could....
I would say that if your gut tells you it might be serious than consult the doc.

I've watched a lot of little ones this age and a couple of them have gone through this. Many times they are "getting their words" and the stuttering is a result. Everything I've read about it and asked a couple of speech teachers about has said to not make a big deal of it. Don't bring attention to it, do what your doing and remind him to slow down and take his time. I rented a video at the library about techniques to help them if they go through it and it helped a lot. It answered a lot of questions and gave some advice about what to look for when it might be a more serious problem. I can't remember the name of it, but I just did a search and found it. You could also just give the school district/early learning center your in a call and ask them to give you some resources that would help. I wouldn't worry to much but talk to pediatrician about it next time your in and see what he/she has to say. Congratulations on your daughter!

1 / 3