My 2 Year Old Wont Stop Throwing Up!!

Hi Moms,

I'm really hoping I can get some ideas from you guys. This all started last friday, my 2 year old son woke up at 5am throwing up. Kept him home from daycare, fed him bland food, seemed ok during the day, but then threw up again around 6pm. All thru sat and sun he didn't throw up but had horrendous diarrhea. We decided to try cutting milk out since that is a popular 'intolerance'. Monday I took him to the doc to get checked out, they said he was ok, but did a cbc to make sure. Bloodwork was fine. Then wed morn around 3am he threw up again. I figured it was from coughing since he was coughing before. Wed he threw up around 11pm again. So today I kept him home from daycare again. I called his doc this morn and the nurse said there was a nasty virus going around that is lasting 7-10 days....I said ok, ill give him only bland food and see what happens. Well, guess what? He just threw up again tonight. We've cut dairy and pretty much anything except cheerios, applesauce, toast etc....if this really is just a virus then why does he act totally ok during the day. He doesn't act sick at all during the day, he's his normal happy, cheery self. Also he keeps throwing up at around the same time, late at night or early in the morning. He has never been allergic to anything, his dad and I have no food allergies, but I'm starting to wonder if this is a reaction to something he's allergic to. Also the idea of acid reflux came up, as I have suffered from it really bad since I was born. I just don't know what to do anymore! I'm out of ideas on what it could be, and I just don't know how to approach the doc w/this one and not look like a crazy mom. I'm tired of being told its a virus....I know how my son acts when he is sick and he has not been acting that way at all! Any advice, ideas, support.....I need it all! I don't want my son barfing like this!!!

Thanks Moms, sorry this was so long!!

****after reading some of the responses I just need to say the reason I'm pretty sure its not a virus is no one else is getting sick! I get sick pretty easily and I have not had one symptom and neither has my husband, and I've been barfed on and had to clean it up all week. Also he really hasn't been exposed to stuff in the environment that can make him sick. We do live in an old, non-updated house, but its my in-laws rental property and I know they have taken good care of it. But can mold cause barfing like this? Again it is not at all during the day, ONLY at night or early early morning. I have a call into the doc, so just waiting for the nurse to call me back.

One other theory... My daughter will throw up when she is really congested, and i will occasionally have the other when i am, but I don't always know that she or I am congested for a few days. Maybe trying the benedryl to help reduce the mucous which will keep it from going into the stomach and maybe stop the throwing up?

I'd say to try and wait it out. The amount of vomiting he is doing shouldn't dehydrate him if you are slowly giving him fluids throughout the day.

BUT-if it ever happens again, look up the symptoms of cyclical vomiting. My son has it and I would have never guessed or known but I have a close friend that is a doctor.

What about post nasal drip or allergies? All the mucus can irritate the stomach and it may be worse at night when he lies down or just when it accumulates? He wouldn't act or actually BE sick, but that junk in the stomach will make him vomit.

Flat ginger ale (leave the can open for a while or stir it to get rid of the bubbles) or ginger tea can settle the stomach. Do not use other soda like Coke - it's not the soda, it's the ginger.

There is also something you can do for your acid reflux from a nutritional standpoint if you are interested. I know this post is primarily about your child but you say you suffer. Please don't go the medication route particularly for your child.

My son went through something similiar when he was about 3 years old. He would throw up around the same time and would act completely normal. NO signs of sickness. The doctor said it was abdominal migraines (no head pain just nausea) and he could give us medicine to help when he threw up.... Umm, no. We decided to figure out the REAL problem and fix it. We went to a GREAT natural doctor in San Francisco and just found out that he was so constipated that we was actually back up and it made him vomit. Granted my son was not a good pooper, even from birth but he did still have a large BM every 2-3 days so it wasn't super severe or so we thought. He helped get all the poop out and helped us with some great pro-biotics to straighten his gut out so he would poop everyday like he should. Guess what? The vomiting stopped very quickly and after a year of diet changes and the pro-biotics he now poops everyday with ease! Remember, western doctors only know how to treat symptoms they do not know how to correct a problem. You may want to visit a natural doctor.

I had a stomach virus last year that seemed to last forever. It is probably just the virus your Dr was referring to. The nausea can linger. If it continues for more than another few days, I'd take him back to ped though.

That virus went through out family this week. Not fun!

It started on Friday with our 4 year-old vomiting in the middle of the night. It had been his birthday and was now mine. He vomited 2-3 times that night and another 2-3 times in the morning. Then we got the diarrhea.

Sunday night, it hit me. I spent most of the night either vomiting or with bad diarrhea. I had to take work off on Monday because I was exhausted and dehydrated.

It hit our daughter 3 nights ago, and my husband was lucky to escape with nausea, no vomitting.

Anyhow.....chances are, this is a virus (I know you don't want to hear it).
If it continued to be persistent, ask for a consultation with a GI specialist to see if there's a hernia or something pressing upon his diaphragm, Chron's disease, Colitis, etc.

It does sound like allergies. My son is allergic to most trees and grasses. If I don't have his allergy medication well regulated he complains that his tummy hurts and has had several bouts of throwing up in his seven years. Perhaps the fact that he is vertical during the day and horizontal during the night changes how much mucus gets into his stomach.

Any family history of migraines? Could be abdominal migraines.

You just have to ride it out....we just went through that, the WHOLE family including my parents. It was miserable and lasted a good week for each person.

My 2 year old was sick as a dog, but when he had this at Christmas, he had no real symptoms other than throwing up. He'd play, throw up, look confused, play for a while, want to eat, have a little diarrhea, play, throw up, etc. It never phased him at all.

Ride it out, don't get the doctor involved because some of them will start pacifying you with tests and meds just because they want to keep you happy,.

Get some probiotics and when you can, start filling your son up with good things like yogurt and kefir and add the probiotics to his diet to rebuild the good flora in his belly.

Keep him hydrated and make him rest as much as you can.

This was a much longer virus that we went through than our usual....the others usually peter out in 48 hours, this one was long.

Let his body do its thing.

1 / 3