My 2 Year Old's Hands and Feet Are Always BLUE!!

She had a stroke at birth but I'm not sure if this could be related. Regardless, her hands are often blue (not red or purple, but BLUE), as well as her feet. We warm them up, move them around, get the circulation going but it reappears. This occurs indoors and our house is warm. Does anyone know what condition could be causing this and what we can do about it?

Thank you all very much for your insightful advice. I have mentioned it to her pediatrician several times before but because there were so many other issues to talk about with her stroke, this one always got pushed to the back burner and never got addressed. I've called this morning to ask for a special screening or testing to see if she has Reychaud's Syndrome or low iron so that we may treat her accordingly. Thanks for clueing me in to this possibility!!

Call your ped today. discoloration is caused by the heart/blood circulation and also lack of oxygen but it could also be as simple as poor iron levels having very low iron can cause extremities to not get enough of o2 in any case please please please call your ped this morning

H.,
I would suggest taking her to your pediatrician for an evaluation. Your doctor will be able to do tests and see what is wrong. Good luck!

Have you taken her to the pediatrician? Only a doctor can really diagnose her.

Hi H.,

You should make an appt to see your child's doc. It could be a problem with her heart and the symptom you're seeing is low blood oxygen levels. However, if you're only seeing it in her hands and feet, it could be something else too - like the other mom who mentioned the iron. Either way, check with your doctor. They could rule out something more serious and give you the best advice on how to deal with this. Good luck - I it works out for you/her!

Dear H.,
Please bring this concern to your doctor so your little girl may be followed medically for a check up. Blue lips, limbs are connected to our heart/circulatory system. It is best to have question such as this answered by a professional. Many blessings, N.

I haven't read the other posts but two things come to mind - is she getting enough Oxygen - that can easily be measured by your pediatrition, and the other is she may have Reynaud syndrome. It's not life threatening but does involve nerve innervation to feet and hands. My son has a mild form, he is 12, and his hands turn blue with white fingertips. He always wears socks to bed and when outside wears gloves. Check with your ped though.

I agree with everyone to make an appointment, but there is also a condition called Reynaud's Disease (not sure of the spelling) which is poor circulation in the extremedies. My husband and paralegal both have it. It is more common in women and my paralegal's case is so extreme her hands are actually very frightening when they are cold. But definitely see the doctor!!!

H.,

I have a girlfriend that has this issue. She takes medicine for it but again she is an adult. I would definitely talk to your daughters doctor about this poor circulation is a problem

Good Luck,
L. M

1 / 3