My 2 Year Old Runny Nose

What is a good home remedie for a runny nose?

Well he dont know how to blow his nose yet so, thats the main problem. He has a mild cough and a runny nose thats it.

My 2-year old just got over this. We used Nose Frida - it is WAY more effective and safer to use than the bulbous thingies - especially when it's a fight to the death to get DC to let you suck the nasty stuff out. We also used Little Noses saline mist, and fed him:

* home cooked chicken soup (with "nooloos") or chicken stew - changing it up a bit with each serving by adding different veggies like cauliflower, sweet potato, cabbage, etc.
* watered down room temp apple juice
* room temp honey & lemon juice

There's really no home remedy for a runny nose unless you know the cause.

If it's allergies, no home remedy is proven to work - medication or patience will be required to control the body's allergic reaction.

If it's a cold, it's a virus, and it will need to run its course.

If it's bacterial, you'll need an antibiotic to help treat the infection.

My kids don't know how to blow their noses either, so we either constantly chase them with a tissue or the nasal aspirator.

With a 2yr old...you pretty much just have to have them blow it all the time to get the mucus out. Hope it goes away soon!!! Is the child sick or is it allergies? If it's allergies...I know you can talk to his/her pediatrician about beginning allergy medicine.

I also have a 2 year old, and he often has a runny nose (since he started daycare). He cannot blow his nose, and those blue rubber bulbs don't work well. What works best for us is to spray his nose with saline spray (such as Simple Saline, which stays sterile) to soften the mucus and then suck everything out with a battery operated nasal aspirator. It is much better at cleaning the nose than just wiping.
I also sometimes wash his nose at the sink with warm water and get as much as I can out. Warm water softens his nose so it is easier to clean.

1 / 3