My 2 Year Old Is Terrified to Have Bowel Movements, Help Please!

I've taken him to his pediatrician four times over the last 6 months for him to just tell me that there is "a lot of it in there but it doesn't feel hard." So if he's not constipated then why does he scream while he's going, finally, after holding it in for as long as 4 days at a time? There is no way I can even start potty training with this going on. He does ask to go "poo-poo" in the potty, and has several times, but usually as soon as you put him on the toilet he will cry and say he's done. I try to wait until I know that there is no way he can delay it any longer and actually hold him down on the toilet seat until he goes, and yes he's screaming and begging me to let him down saying that it hurts. It breaks my heart but I do not know what in the world is going on with him or how to help him. I have 3 other children and worked in daycare for 11 years and never have I seen a child do this. Should I get a second opinion from a different pediatrician?

I just went through the same thing with my almost 2yr old. After pinning her pediatrician against a wall, he finally gave a referral to go to a Digestive Health pediatrician. Problem solved!!!!! My daughter is healed. That dr's name is:
Dr. Argao - ###-###-####(he just opened a Plano office).

My daughter went through the same thing. And for 2 YEARS! they could not find a out what the problem was. She gained so much weight because it just kept backing up in her. Although she would have bowel movements. I took her to several different doctors over the 2 years and no one can find anything wrong. Finally I took her to a stomach specialist and she diagnosed her right away. She has a condition called Chronic Constipation and she will be on medication for the rest of her life. Please take the baby to a stomach specialist and if you can let me know how you make out.

Hello A.,

I have worked with many children, as well as adults, who are not going to the bathroom at least once daily. My first recommendation is to add a friendly bacteria (acidophilus &/or bifida bacterium) the one I use is called BeneFlora and it also contains fiber and enzymes. I mix it into some applesauce and give to them at breakfast and supper. With his size it should not take more than 1/4 capsule twice daily to build up the friendly bacteria in his colon. This should help keep your son's stool thinner and soft which should make it easier on him to go. I would also encourage you to make sure he gets plenty of good filtered water through the day as being dehydrated can cause constipation. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call. I hope you and your son will have better bathroom experiences real soon. J. S. ###-###-####

I'm not sure what to do, but I don't think holding him on the toilet by force is the right thing. Put on a diaper and let him go when he wants. Give him some Myralax(stool softener), if the pedi says ok, and he will have no choice because they can't hold it in while taking it.

When my daughter was little like your son, had problems going to the bath room, I gave her just fruit, juice, childrens spinach etc. and still very hard bowl movements, and took her to Dr. and he said her last intestines were secreting too much water, that she didn't need a laxative, but that colace drops would help the last intestine not to secrete too much water, and that did the trick. No more problems, and she didn't need to stay on the colace indefinately either. I think you can get this without a prescription, but otherwise, I think I'd try ad different Dr. if I were you, if he still keeps having the problem.

Hi A., when my daughter was two she did the same thing. She screamed when her bowels moved. I took her to the doctor and he said, dont give her any milk and see if it helped. Dr. said her rectum was to small. Well it didnt help, so back i went to dr. So, he suggested getting me some surgical gloves and put vaseline on my finger and place it right inside her rectum and move my finger around and stretch it. It sounds awful but thats what i did,and after a couple of weeks of stretching it. she was able to have bowel movements without screaming. She also watched her sister who was 15 months older than her, use her potty and she started bringing me the potty, i wasnt wise enough to realize what she was trying to tell me until she had tenkled twice at my feet holding her sisters potty.She was 2 yrs old, This was 48 years ago. You might ask your dr. about doing this. Doctors now days have their on ideas. Hope this helps.

IT never hurts to get asecond oppinion, listen to what YOUR gut is telling you.

Good luck, I would give your son some Fiber one granola bars they always help my kids go poop... he may ust need more fiber to help get it all moving.

HTH
A. J

YES! Definately get a second opinion from a different Dr.
That is not normal. Try apple juice, apples, pears, and see if there are some children's gentle overnight stoole softners.
Apple juice has always helped my kids. They drink it and it tastes a lot better than prune juice. Also, try the baby food plums - it is like plum pudding, and that might help as well.

I feel for you and your son. You didn't mention if BMs were this dramatic in the diaper nor how often. My son had several bouts with hard stools due to inlaws insisting on giving him milk & cheese to build strong bones even though he was allergic. They also had issues with informing me if he had a BM while in his care. With Dr's approval, I did a stool softner with laxative gave it an hour, then filled his lower intestine with an enema (child size), laid him in the tub on a towel and massaged his stomach. I encouraged him to hold the enema as long as he could and gave him permission to go in the tub if he needed. He jumped up on the potty and asked me to keep squeezing/massaging his colon area. Out popped the rock. I spoke to my in laws about cutting the milk/dairy & need to know if he had a BM but they dismissed me. God is good ya know, they ended up getting to deal with the next difficult to pass hard rock. They called me frantic that my child was very sick & I needed to come take him to the hospital because there was nothing they could do to help him. I had all the stuff in his napsack and told them the steps to take with him. Needless to say they cut way back on the dairy & informed me if he had a BM while in their care. My child had a healthy diet but grilled cheese sandwiches, mac n cheese, nachos, noodle ramen with cheese at grandparent's worked against him. I kindly added the need to reduce processed sugar on my own which even my kid agreed to after his experience. You know it's painful when a kid will give up sugar. As time went on we found out that some people who have a high fiber diet and eat healthy need more WATER, not soda or sugary apple juice. My child has an inherited condition where his colon over draws the water from the stool period so stool softners are required.
See if your son will eat the prune fruit & juice, they now come individually wrapped and different flavors. Brown rice, granola, spinach are high fiber foods.
Also, you can take a higher dose of vitamin C and it will cause the body to eliminate. I did this under a Dr's guidance. You can find info on this in the alternative/natural health books.
The epsom salt drink works too but we learned to dissolve the epsom salt in less water (measure how much you use) than the box suggests, then gulp it down. Have ready another glass of water or juice with the remaining measurement of water suggested for the dose. Read the epsom box & this will make sense. Pineapple & grapefruit juice worked best in cutting the salt taste. This method according to the box of epsom salt I have pulls water into the bowels. I would check with your Dr on what amount if any to use. I would work on encouraging him to stay on the toilet without having to be held down. He is already in pain and the toilet seat can add to that pain cutting into the back of the legs. I noticed the correlation with my child starting to do these loud burps with an oncoming episode of constipation, next came the stinky toots! He knows now if he starts the burps to ask me for extra stool softner. I sure hope your little one finds relief for both of your sakes. Of course all I've included is my experience/opinion so take from it what you choose. Best of life to you.

1 / 3