My 2 Year Old Has Kidney Stones

Last night was a hard night. We spent the whole night and morning at the ER. My 2 year old had blood in her urine and was vomiting all night. After many tests, an ultrasound, and a CAT scan, we find out that my daughter has Kidney Stones which is VERY RARE in 2 year olds. So now we have to go to a Pediatric Urologist. Has anyone heard of kidney stones in toddlers and what can be done?

Well we are still dealing with the Kidney Stone. We were back in the ER one more time because of vomiting and dehydration. She ended up having to have surgery last Friday because her kidney had been backed up for almost two weeks and the doctors were afraid of kidney damage. So now she has a stent that connects her kidney to her bladder. She will go back to get the stent removed in a week and half and hopefully the stone will pass or they can get it surgically. Wish us luck!

Yes, kidney stones are possible in toddlers. My son is at high risk for kidney stones. (He went through cancer treatment for Rhabdoid Tumor of the Kidney 3 years ago and his only remaining kidney is having issues with calcium oxalate. He is at high risk for kidney stones. He is followed by a nephrologist and we are working to make sure that the stones never develop). The biggest thing that you can do to try to prevent the stones is to limit the amount of sodium in the diet and make sure that she is getting a lot of water. There is some research that shows lemon juice helps, however there is a still some debate about this suggestion. (My son loves lemonade, so we make it a lot...it can't hurt). We also have been instructed to limit his consumption of strawberries, spinach, nuts, chocolate, and rhubarb. I hope this helps.

I just read this in the news about plastics and milk from china, is there a chance she may be ingesting plastic somehow?
"Melamine is used in making plastics and is high in nitrogen, which registers as protein in tests of milk. Though health experts believe ingesting minute amounts poses no danger, melamine can cause kidney stones, which can lead to kidney failure. Infants are particularly vulnerable. "
quote from here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080921/ap_on_re_as/as_china_...

Oh my gosh, your poor baby. I had kidney stones about 10 yrs ago. I woke uo one morning and thought I was having a miscarriage. That is exactly what it felt like to me. The "contractions" were almost as bad as actually being in labor. And, I had bleeding too. Fortunately, mine passed with no problems. Over the years, I make sure I get extra fluids and I have not had any more problems.
I have not heard of someone so young getting them. And I hope this is the only time she ever has to go through that( and you) My 2 yr old has her own water bottle( sports top) that she carries around and sips on. She also gets Koolaid, tea, hot chocolate, smoothies, milk, popcicles, chunks of cucumber for snacks.
They usually pass on their own and it probably will hurt when it does- the main thing for dr is making sure that it does not block anything and pain control. If they do not pass or are blocking ( 10 yrs ago) they could do( do not remember what it was called), but it sends vibrations or waves through you and break up the stones. worst case was surgery to remove them. By the time I made it to the specialist, mine were gone. They also gave me this little strainer thing that I had to urinate into and check for the stones. Hope your little one is still in diapers......

Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about this. My 10 year old HAD them also. We started him on Natural Calm. It is a magnesium taken like a warm cup of tea every night before bad. Everything I have read in research said that the stones are basicly an over load of calcium, which your body doesn't know what to do with, so it just stores it. The magesium helps or allows it to absorb and be used naturally.

Peter Gillham's Natural Vitality, Natural Calm, it comes in a special formula for young children. My son loves it. Try googling it.

Good luck!!

Sorry to hear about your daughter. My son sees a ped urologist for a number of issues he was born with. We really like Dr. David Lashley. He has an office in NW Portland and is also available at area hospitals.

OOps I typed a great response and then realized my son has gall stones, not kidney stones. Sorry!

Lately the only cases I've heard of were people referring to the tainted formula in China, of course. But any upset in the diet seems to be able to cause this, my sister's baby was dumping her water on the ground rather than drinking it and got a stone in her kidney. And once it happens the chances for a reapeat are so high!

I'm so sorry to hear that your little girl is in such pain. Our thoughts are with you as you go through this terrible time.

For a number of years we have seen a pediatric urologist for my son. He's now 9 years old. There are only 3 I know of in the Portland METRO area. We have seen them all and would recommend Steven Skoog at OHSU.

1 / 3