My 2 Year Old Has Frizzy Hair

Hi, I recently requested some information about how I could enhance my daughters Shirly Temple style spirals! I would just like to say thank you to everyone who offered their advice! Now my new problem is that once her hair has been combed out (with a wide toothed comb), after being sprayed with water & conditioner her looks beautiful, shiney, and each spiral is just perfect! But after it has dried completely it starts to separate and look frizzy, with a few of the spirals staying in place. But her hair on the top starts to just frizz. At night I must comb her hair with the water/conditioner and then put in two separate rubber bands. One on the top and one in the back that way her hair is not drying down, but drying tamed! If anyone knows how I can add some moisture to her hair, and tame the frizz without weighing it down or making it look greasey I would appreciate it!

Thank you

Hi Everyone,
I just want to say thank you to all the advice I have received on my daughters hair! I would like to let you know that I went into a salon to have my boys hair cut and decided to ask them what I should do about my daughters hair. Basically she needs something that adds moisture and will reduce the frizz. They told me to buy some curl products that are in green bottles, they did not work! I was upset at the fact that they sold me $30 in products (which was a shampoo, conditioner and some spray that would leave her hair shiny) I called the next day to let them know that the spray was not working and was told to use it on wet hair and the bottle clearly says to use on dry hair. So after using the products for that one night her hair looked horrible! I could barely get the comb through it even after it was saturated with water! So needless to say when I went back and returned those useless products I saw a product strictly for giving moisture to hair (a leave in hair dressing)! Her hair needs that, and what angers me more is that she was there for them to touch and look at her hair and they did not even suggest this product. So right now I am still using the Infusium 23 hydrating shampoo and conditioner, along with the hair dressing (which is light) that I purchased in the salon. When needed (which is often) I use the conditioner/water mixture to wet her hair before styling.

I have always been a big fan of Paul Mitchell products, and they make a product called Freeze and Shine. Its a combonation hair spray and conditioner/hair shiner. It is perfectly safe, you just wash it out at night. It cuts down on friz and keep the hair in place and looking fresh all day.

I have used a product called Frizz-Ease in the past and it works very well. It readily available in the hair care products aisle, and comes in a clear container of clear liquid. It definately helps tone down the frizz, just be careful not to over do it or the hair starts to look greasy. Good luck!

Hi M., my almost 3 year old daughter and i are both bi-racial and we both have very dry hair. I relax mine, so i must maintain big time. My daughter has beautifully curly curly hair, but the same as yours, it gets very dry and the frizz starts to come out at the top in one day. I found a website with hair care specifically for multi-racial people. It's called www.curls.biz . I use the curly q's milkshake cream on her hair i wash it and condition it and when I touch it up during the day. before that tho, i use a little of my advanced expressions conditioner and rinse it out just to smooth it out a little. this is the first time I ordered form curls and i'm happy. i plan to order more. the only thing is when i ran out of the cream, i used the spray and that didnt'work too well, so i used carrot oil and that keeps it smooth and shiny too. Tea tree oil works well too, but the smell is not that nice after you've had it in there for a day or two. i don't wash her hair everyday because it's so dry. i learned that about my own hair. hope this helps! check out the website. good luck!

M.,

I'm a hairdresser as well as mother of a bi-racial child. My little girl has the same exact hair that you described. Even as a hairdresser, I had trouble taming her hair. I called my MIL who suggested a lot of products but I found that they did nothing but goop up her hair and made it impossible to comb through while washing it out.

I did some experimenting of my own and found that Frizz Eaze(or any generic form of it) works best. After she gets out of the shower, I towel dry, comb through, then use generous amounts of Frizz Eaze, then comb through again. If we're going somewhere, I'll just let it air dry or if we're home for the day I'll put in a braid while it's still wet. I assure you, her hair will not be greasey. For a quick touch up the next day, I'll just spritz with a water bottle, add some more Frizz Eaze and we're good to go. I also forgot to mention, DO NOT wash her hair everyday. Hair that is that curly tends to be on the dry side. Washing it everday will only dry it out and cause it to frizz even further.

Give it a try, and let me know how you make out. :)

You could try a product called Potion 9 by Sebastian. It's a light cream leave in conditioner and styling treatment. The only thing that sucks, is it might be a bit pricey. If you don't want to pay for a professional product, look for any styling product with a creamy consistency. It will give her hair some hold, without making it crunchy or greasy. Start by applying it to the ends, and working your way up. Use the very last bit from your hands up at the scalp (to keep the hair from looking dirty too quick). I actually have a friend who would use lotion in her kid's hair, because it helped tame the frizz. Hope this helps.

My daughter has the same hair. She's half white and half Dominican so it's very course and dry, but also very, very, very curly. I use water and conditioner, but also defrizz stuff. I'm not sure if you've seen it in the stores, but most brands have some type of defrizzer. I use Gardnier(sp?) Fructis(sp?). You know, the green stuff. They have a product called Soothing Milk or Smoothing Silk. I'm not sure which I always get confused. If I'm going to put her hair in say a ponytail:
wet it
comb it with wide tooth comb
just before you put the ponytail holder in spray around her hair line with water
use a comb with pegs very, very, very close together
put the hair in the ponytail holder
then immediately put the defrizzer on the hair

It's the only thing that even comes close to working for me. Hope I helped.

S. Beth

Hi M. M,
I've been a hairstylist for 10 years, I would suggest using a leave in conditioner for children. Not the water and conditioner only because the conditioner you might be using might have an extreme amount of alcohol and generic chemicals. These chemicals will dry out her hair and possibly over lay like a wax while sealing the cuticle without giving it moisture or protien. The safest leave in cond. that I have found is a proffesional Great Clip Afraid Not Detangler. I also would not put her hair in pony tails for bed while it is wet or not. The friction of her head against the tension of the band will cause breaking and more frizziness. Try the leave in and if that doesn't improve your situation there is a whole line from matrix called Curl Life for curly hair that has an all day reactivator for spiral curls that is very lite.
I hope this helps
N.

Hi Michelle,
I think Paul Mitchel leave in detangler/conditioner and super skinny serum would work great after a moisturizing shampoo. Use small amount of serum and hair will not get greasy feeling. I have used these products alot on customers.
I hope this helps.
A.

Hi M.:

I have curly frizzy hair too.. You can use CatWalk products for curly hair. It works well. There is a shampoo, conditioner and a spray. I love them. You can get them in a salon or beauty supply store. We have one at the mall. They are a little expensive, but I'm sure you won't use that much. I have long hair and still have plenty to get me through the summer.

Check out www.ouidad.com
They have a line of products just for kids as well as hints for curly hair care

1 / 3