My 2 Year Old Daughter Keeps Getting Fevers Why?

My daughter has been getting fevers every 2-3 weeks and the Dr. tells me that it is normal. The last couple of times they have been low grade fevers but the times before those they have been high grade fevers but they just keep coming back time after time with no explaination at all. If anyone has gone through this same thing and have suggestions I am open to anything at this point cause I'm desperate for answers and I'm not getting any. Please help!

Children get fevers when they're teething. She may have a couple teeth breaking through. Does she have her back molars yet?
-O.

-O.

She could be teething. Keep her diet healthy, and there are lots of herbs on the internet. Google fever herbal kids and read up on several of the links.

I have two children and I would not say reoccuring fevers are normal. I would get a second opinion, like someone suggested, Children's Hospital.

My daughter is 21/2. Starting at 7 months, she would get fevers similar to what you describe. She was getting repeat ear infections. Does your daughter have any other symptoms? Does she eat well, sleep well?

Good luck with this!

My son has had a few fevers of unknown origin as well. He is now 19 months old. I have a very close friend who is a pediatrician and an infectious disease doctor. He recommended a urinalysis if it happens again. Kids can have chronic urinary tract infections, and if not treated may result in long term complications. I would recommend you talk to her doctor and if they are not willing to investigate it any further then you should seek a second, third or fourth opinion. The bad side to this is that they would have to put a catheter in her bladder to get the urine out. It should be quick but she will most likely not like it. I think it is a small price to pay for peace of mind and the chance to diagnose something that could lead to complications in the long run. To have fevers that often in my opinion is not normal. Good luck and keep us posted.

You should immediately see if she has a bladder infection/UTI. This is common in little girls, and the recurring fever is a symptom. Please take her in - perhaps to a different doctor - and ask about this specifically.

Hi A.. I had the very same issue with my daughter. Our dr. explained it as her immune system doing its job. If she's in daycare or with other kids a lot, she's probably exposed to a lot of viruses and the fevers are the body's way of burning them off. So I think it can be normal for some kids. I know it can be alarming, but don't worry. It lasted for about a year with my daughter. She's three now and doesn't get them anymore. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. ____@____.com

Has anyone suggested or looked for an ear infection? A lot of times kids will get fevers, both high and low, that come and go with ear infections.

That used to happen to my son when he was 2 and under. He used to get fevers of up to 104 with no explanation. I'd take him in and they'd find nothing wrong. He eventually grew out of it. While I wouldn't call it normal really, it didn't seem to have any negative effect on my son other than he didn't feel good for a day or so. I would just keep an eye on her and when she has a fever watch for other symptoms that could indicate something more serious. Other than that, I guess wait it out and hopefully she will grow out of it soon like my son did.

1 / 3