My 2 Year Old Daughter Has a Lazy Eye, What Do I Do??

My husband and I just noticed that our 18 month old daughter has a lazy eye in her left eye. After plenty of research, we have are worried about several different scenarios. Will she need surgery? Will she need a patch? Will this be a perminant issue? I definatly think second opinions are best, however, what can I expect to hear from her doctor before he talk to him??

My nephew had a lazy eye. The doctor put the patch over his strong eye to help the lazy eye catch up. He did not always wear it but it is much stronger than before.

We had to do the patch with my son. It wasn't that bad. He wore a patch over the good eye for 30 to 35 minutes a day for about 12 weeks. Now he is fine. I work take her to the pedi eye doctor as soon as possible.

My now 5 yo daughter had a similar problem. We ended up with Dr beauchamp in Grapevine after seeing another doctor who immediately suggested surgery. With Dr Beauchamp we have patched her for over a year and her vision has improved in her bad eye from 20/150 to 20/40 with her glassed. Her eye only drifts now if she is not wearing her glassed and is very tired. The younger the better to start treatment. I really didn't like the idea of surgery until everything else was tried. The staff at Dr Beauchamps office is wonderful and this is their specialty. Good luck and I hope you get the answers that you need.

Hello! I had a lazy eye and it first appeared when I was about 2 yrs old. We ended up seeing the Eye Dr and he did my surgery. I had 3 eye surgeries from the ages of 3-6 yrs old. First they floated outward, then crossed and finally PERFECT! I am now 32 yrs old and have never had any issues with it. I use to wear a patch as a child as well. It's not a big deal over all. Since I was only a child then I can't tell you what to expect to hear from the Dr. But I wanted to send you some hope knowing that I have gone through this and my eyes are just fine :) God Bless

Well, I have a lazy eye so here is my perspective. I was diagnosed at 2, did the patching, and my mom did not know surgery was an option. After the child is a certain age surgery is no longer an option for this. I have horrible vision in my lazy eye although the eye is straight. The problem is not just the eye, it is also and mainly the brain. When the brain sees that the one eye is not as strong, it stops using that eye and the part of the brain designated to that eye will actually start to die due to not being used. Here are some other issues I am having:
*the diameter difference in my eyes (my 'good' eye is not really that good now either but is not lazy) requires that I wear contacts. I have glasses but they are very expensive and I do not feel safe to drive them very far---lots of glaring and easily dizzy despite high tech elements in lenses.
*With correction my other eye is definitely stronger, contacts do not do much at all for the lazy eye. Actually I can go without wearing it and can't really tell a difference. Lazy eyes are not really correctable with contacts.
*I can not see 3D---even with the glasses on.....since the brain is not using that eye, I will not be able to see 3 D.
*the doctor won't recommend lasik for me due to the slim, ever so slim chance that something would happen to my 'good' eye and being left with my lazy eye would not be good. When the benefit out weigh the risks we will look into it again.

I have had my children looked at since they were 6 months old; we have used Dr. Stager Jr in Plano. So far they are good. My 5 year old does not have a lazy eye, and we will still check the 4 year old again this year. I would have to say though that I would opt for surgery if it was at all an option just because of what I go through with my vision. I am not big on medicine and all that, but when it comes to effecting the brain, I feel like it has to get fixed all the way.

It is permanent, at least untreated, and it is genetic. My mom has it too.

Hang in there,

Well, you have to figure out what the exact problem is. My eyes were crossed when I was born, requiring surgery. My mother and brother both had "lazy eye' which also required surgery. My oldest daughter did too, and given our family history, we immediately did surgery. Why?? Well, because the problem with our family is that the muscle that controls the eye was too long, causing it to drift..esp when we are tired. The surgery was fairly simple, they went in and cut the muscle and reattatched it. My daughter was 5, and does not remember it. She was uncomfortable at first, esp coming out of the anesthesia, but within a day or two it was no big deal. We used Dr. Eric Packwood and were very happy with the experience. Good luck!!

I had one, too. It was the early 1960's and surgery was a little too brutal (now, everything is microscopic) so they used to patch my good eye. The good news is, I didn't lose the sight in my bad eye. Bad news is, I never developed normal depth perception.
But I'm perfectly O.K. now, and I don't notice the slight depth perception issue because it turns out the brain uses many types of cues to judge where things are. I can't play center field but I can shoot in video games, drive a car of course, etc. So try to just take a deep breath & realize this will work out O.K. Everyone, including my kids, has some slight struggle .

HI Katy, there are two ways to go - either surgery, but this could fail because the reason for the lazy eye was never addressed... or you can go with developmental optometry - in which the co-rdination of the two eyes is addressed in the setting of the whole body co-ordination. It is the co-ordination of the muscles of the two eyes that is the problem, after all. If you research this topic on the internet you'll find masses of info. I know there's a great optometrist in New Jersey - Dr Melvyn Kaplan... maybe you could start there.?

Does there eye drift outward or inward?

1 / 3