My 2 Month Old Won't Sleep!

My son just turned 2 months old. He has never gone to sleep easily, but the last 2-3 weeks have been nearly impossible. The only way I can soothe him to sleep is by doing Karp's 5 S's. It used to take 15 minutes; now naps are taking over an hour to soothe him to sleep! Plus he typically only naps 20-30 mins. Bedtime at night can take up to 2 hrs for him to fall & stay asleep. And he will not sleep in the car or stroller- as soon as he's sleepy he cries & cries but won't fall asleep.

I've tried everything - starting soothing earlier or later, varying the way I soothe him, etc. He seems to have reflux, which may be contributing to the problem. Anyways, I'm at my wit's end. I spend 5-6+ hours every day trying to get him to sleep, & I can't leave my home w/ him!

Please let me know if you've been through this or have advice. I thought it was a "phase" that we'd be over by now.

Hi J., When you say sooth him to sleep, what exactly is that? I always gave my baby's rice cereal at bed time and rocked them to sleep, and from about 6 weeks on they slept through the night. If he does have reflux that would explain it. I have a 6 week old in my daycare and he has reflux, and he cries more than any baby i have had over the past 13 years. I do believe one reason baby's don't sleep as well as in my day (80's) because they are slept on their backs, all of my daycare parents sleep their baby's on their stomachs because they say they sleep longer. J.

If you think he has bad reflux, talk to your pediatrician about it. My daughter had it, and we had to start giving her medication for it. It seemed to help some. It didn't make her sleep really well, but she was much less miserable and therefore fell asleep easier.

I hope it gets better soon. I know all to well how miserable it is for both mommy and baby. Good luck!

Congrats on your newborn! Well, welcome to mommy-hood. Your baby is normal and I hate to say it but I think you need to get out of "it's my life" and into an "its our life" state of mind. Is your son getting enough to eat?
I don't think it's safe to take a baby less than 3 mos old out in public anyway, so if you need to get out, have someone watch your son. As for sleeping, write back if he's still not by 8 mos. Otherwise, if you have made sure he's not wet/dirty, well fed and burped (my kids were really hard to burp and would wake up screaming after 5-10 min of being asleep), then he's a newborn and try to be more understanding from his standpoint.
Hang in there! This will pass and you'll forget it ever happened ;)

Will he sleep on you? That's the only way my first son would sleep. We tried the 5 S's and they helped, but he wanted to be held.

Invest in a good carrier and wear your baby...you will have your hands free and can do what you need to do. We ended up co-sleeping as well for the same reason.

I wasted way too much time shushing and swaddling the first 4 weeks when I should have just put the baby in a sling or carrier. Wanted to add that I think Karp is right on, but carrying baby close to you takes care of a lot of what he suggests.

Check out the Ergo, my absolute favorite! Good luck mama.

No rice cereal that early! It is so so so bad for them. Google "infant open gut" and read for yourself. Solids are best started at 6 months.

And I think you have a right to your life, at least some sanity...trust me! Wear your baby, go for a walk, go grocery shopping, cook some dinner, work on the computer...you can do it all in a comfortable carrier and baby will sleep well!

You said he "seems to have reflux..."
So did you take him to the Doctor and remedy that?
Reflux makes babies unable to sleep and uncomfortable.

Are you feeding him on-demand?
If nursing, do you have enough milk? Is he latching on properly? If not... then a baby will always be hungry and not be satisfied nor able to sleep.

This sounds basic, but its what happened to lots of my friends. They didn't have enough milk and their baby was hungry. They didn't know. And the baby was not latching on properly... thus the baby was not satiated.

He is so young... they usually nap a lot.
Maybe he is sensitive to noises/temperatures/lighting/etc.
My daughter as an infant, would wake even if the toilet flushed anytime. She has real sensitive ears.

Does he have gas problems? This is another reason why some babies are uncomfortable.
Burp him frequently or give him infant gas drops. It helped my daughter a lot.

In infants, growth-spurts also occurs every 3 weeks... then at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and so forth every 3 months. They need extra intake at these times especially. And infants will frequently "cluster feed" meaning they need to feed even every hour.
Thus, feed on-demand.

Over-tired babies and children, also do not sleep better and sleep worse and have a harder time falling asleep and they wake more.

Do you know his 'tired' cues???
An infant, will typically get tired after about 2 hours of "awake" time. And if over-stimulated, they can have a hard time sleeping and settling down as well.

all the best,
Susan

Have you tried a swing? My now 4 month old daugter was very similar, and the swing saved my life. Now, she happily sleeps all the time! Also, if you need to get out,seriously, go for it. Unless there is a medical issue with your son's immune system, if you really need to go somewhere to save your sanity, then wash your hands, take some sanitizer,common sense, etc. and just do it! I took both my babies out early(also have a 3 year old), they both got colds, early too. My 1st baby, my son, I panicked, he lived and was fine,about time my daughter came along, I had no worries, but she got a nasty cold from her big brother, and needed amoxicillin, but is fine,big, hungry and healthy. Being at your wit's end is not a good place to be, so be somewhere you can relax a bit until it passes,it will.

I used to spend hours a day as well trying to get my baby girl to sleep. It was a challenge especially with having an older child as well but I just kept reminding myself that it won't last forever. I can't offer a lot of suggestions. Only try to remember when you are tired and frustrated that you are a good mom and you are doing what you should be doing for your child. Try to feel pride in that no matter how tired you are. If you think he has reflux call your doctor and see what they can do.

I had the same issues with my son, he pretty much stopped napping at 2 months, and then I finally started to nurse him in bed on my side. That was the only way he could sleep. We had sleeping problems forever, but my son did finally grow out of it and now sleeps well.

Have you tried wearing him in a sling or an upright baby carrier (mai tei, moby, or ergo)? That way you can carry him around and do whatever you need to, and he may just fall asleep. If he does have reflux, an upright carrier would probably work best.

1 / 3