My 2-Week-old Is Constipated

My baby is showing signs of constipation (hard tummy, grunts a lot and seems to be "pushing" but when we check her diaper it's very small amounts of liquidy poo). A note, I breastfeed and formula feed, although lately we've been giving her more formula than breastmilk. Could this be the cause? Anyone ever experienced this at such a tender age? Any suggestions for how to help soothe her tummy? Thanks much.

I would give her 1-2 teaspoons of sugar in her formula to see if that helps when she is constipated per my pediatrician;-) After 4 months old, you can give her apple prune juice to help her;-) Good luck!

I had a similar experience at the same time. My daughter did not have a bowel movement for 2 days. I put in a call to the pedatrician on a Wednesday. He said if she had not had a BM by Friday to call back. That whole day she cried nonstop. I had no idea what to do. Later that evening, she had a massive BM. After that she had one everytime she ate. I attribute it to her body changing.

For constipation even at that tender age what you can give her is a couple of drops of the white Karo syrup in her formula. I don't know how many months she is but if she's like under 3 months you may just want to give her this remedy once a day until she starts doing it normal. The formula does do that to babies when you switch from breastmilk to formula. It may be the iron that's causing her to get constipated but this remedy will help her. Well hope she gets better.

STOP FEEDING THE FORMULA! Your breastmilk has colostrum in in for up to 8 - 10 weeks and will be all the laxative that your precious little one needs! If you are having trouble keeping up your milk supply you can buy a tea at a nutrition store called "Mother's Milk Tea". You can also take fenugeek. Increasing your fluid intake will also assist in increasing your milk supply. Please talk to your doctor before giving your tiny one something so harsh as a suppository or other stimulating medications. You never know if there is something more serious going on and a visit to the doctor is the best thing. But in response to the mom suggesting you listen to your elders, I would say that my elders always said that "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" STICK WITH BREASTFEEDING!!!

Good luck and God Bless!

I breastfed both of my children and most of the advice you will find on breastfeeding will tell you that your milk supply will not completely get established, or it will diminish or completely dry up if you formula feed and breast feed. Also, you need to be aware that the iron in the formula will block the iron in your breast milk from getting to your baby. Also, the iron in the formula is constipating. Mother's milk is best for your baby and no chemist has been able to duplicate what God created, so do your baby a favor and don't mix formula feeding and breast milk. Once your baby is older, you will be able to pump milk to store in the freezer for when you absolutely can not be with your baby to feed him/her. I hope that this advice helps you and your baby.
Blessings to you and yours,

Very, very, very normal. Your baby's digestive system is newly working those muscles. If her BMs are soft and very liquidy as you said, she is not constipated!! It is just her muscles are being trained and she has to work at it. I had the same concerns with mine, but the doctor and all the books said it was normal. It happened with all my children. As long as you are mostly breastfeeding, your child won't get constipated. If you are only formula feeding, you should offer water once a day to compensate. Otherwise, all this is normal. I breastfed and gave formula to all my children. They are all very healthy.

This is very normal! Our baby did the same thing up until she was about 4-6 weeks old and it really freaked me out at first, but I went to the doctor and he told me this was perfectly normal. Remember that breastmilk is like a natural laxative and is much easier on the tummy than anything else. If you are still worried about it, take your baby to the pediatrician and set your mind at ease.

On another note, I noticed that several folks posted that you might consider giving your baby Karo syrup. Please know that this is definitely something you should talk to your pediatrician about before you do that. Manufacturers of corn syrup cannot guarantee that their products are free from Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which can cause infant botulism, and for that reason most pediatrician's do not recommend using this method. For more information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/karo-syrup-for-constipat...

Congratulations on your new sweet baby!

I would have to say that the mixture of both breastmilk and formula is not a cause. These tiny little people, so new to the world, havent yet developed those little digestive tracts.
Here is my "old school" advice. Put her on the changing table, with a diaper under her, of course. Gently massage the rectum, without "poking" in. This causes the natural reflex to poop.
If that doesnt work, lubricate the end of a thermometer with a little petrolium jelly. Only insert were the silver part is. (about an 1/8th of an inch) This, too, will cause that "urge" to poop. If she is truly constipated, the results will show it.
My own daughter went through the same thing and I was given this advice from two Grandmas and a Great Aunt. It worked.

Happy Pooping!!!

M. :)

P.S. For what its worth, I find in this day and age, we simply dont listen to our elders. They, in my opinion, are a font of information. They arent always right, but by golly, sometimes they are right on the money!!!

No she is not constipated. The formula is upseting her stomach and causeing the gas and bloating etc. Give her MORE BREASTMILK. Constipation is not based on how often we have a bowel movement, although most people think that. If you are able to breastfeed quite giving her that fake stuff. She needs your milk.
Sam Evans LM CPM
wholisticmidwifery.com

Hi A.

When my daughter was born 4 months ago, she did alot of grunting and I mean a lot with constant pushing. Does you daughter cry when she does the pushing and grunting? What formula do you have her on? My daughter also did the combo of breast feeding and formula feeding for the first two weeks of her life. I was told by ther doctor that the grunting is just what she does, it's just her expressing herself. I was worried about the pushing, worried she's give herself a hernia or something but she is fine now. She never cried along with the grunting and pushing. Now at 4 months she is very verbal constant babbleing and I was told that all the grunting and pushing was just because she was going to be very verbal and she is. I did have to change her formula to sensitive and that seemed to help the pushing. Hope you find some relief in my email. If all else fails take her to her doctor. Have a wonderful day

I just wanted to let you know that I sent you a pm. Please read it and let me know. Also, don't believe every little article you hear about bf vs. formula feed babies. I want you to think about people who adopt and do not have a choice but to feed formula. Their babies are just fine and their IQ is very high. Trust me! Plus, my best friend has a serious illness that won't allow her to bf. She does not produce the hormone Oxytocin which is what "stimulates the ejection of milk into the ducts of milk." Her doctor tested her levels and this is after she took fenugeek/blessed thistle/goats rue/mother's milk/ and an illegal drug which you could only buy in Canada..anyway, her levels were so low that the doctor was impressed that she bf for as long as she did. This doctor fed her 4 babies bm for a year. I just say all this that no matter what you decide to do that as a mom...you know what is best between you and your doctor and WE SUPPORT YOU!!! Hang in there and READ MY PM to you!!!!!!!

much love and support!!!!!!

1 / 3