My 2 1/2 Year Old Is Tongue Tied

My name is liz, and I am a single mom fo a 2 1/2 year old child, who is tongue tied. My best friend, made the opinion, that my son can still stick is tongue out far over is lips, that he should still be able to talk. She believes that he is refusing to talk. I want to know, if a child who is tongue tied can still be able to stick there tongue out, even though they are tongue tied?

Hi Liz,
I am also a speech-language pathologist who specializes in the birth-3 population and we get this question a lot re: tongue tie. The following is a very informational article on ankyloglossia (tongue tie). Typically, contrary to popular belief, tongue tie does NOT affect speech. Here is the website :) Just copy and paste it to get to the article.
http://www.asha.org/about/publications/leader-online/arch...
G.

my son is tongue tied, he is 19 now and talks fine even talked and read early. My grandma was also tongue tied and she could not even get her tongue very far past her teeth. they used to snip them maybe they still do but it is not required.talk to his dr. about his speach, but it is not related to being tongue tied.

My some is almost 3 and I just got his tongue tied corrected by a lazer treatment in Buffalo Grove IL. The process was so quick and simple I highly recommend it to anyone. Here is the website:
www.fredmargolis.com

E.,

I was born tongue tied as well. I could not stick my tongue out over my lips and spoke with a bit of a lisp. I got teased a lot in school, and whenever I meet other moms with tongue tied kids I urge them to get it clipped as soon as possible (medically, of course.)

I did have mine clipped in high school when I had my wisdom teeth removed. It hurt like the dickens and the stretching exercises I had to do to overcome my lisp were unpleasant. It is better to do it when they are little (ideally as newborns) but definately before their speech is fully developed. Occasionally people still notice my lisp when I use certain words, but not very often.

Hi Liz,
G.

my 3 1/2 year old is tongue tied too & has NO problem with his speech. he didn't REALLY start talking until he was a little over 2 & i don't think it had anything to do with his tongue. he has no speech probs either. can say "r's, l's, s's, t's" etc..... my son can roll his tongue out over his bottom lip but never fully "stick" it out. take him to an pediatric oral surgeon for an evaluation to see if anything is needed to be done if you are really worried. we did that when our son was just under 2 & on a scale of 1-10 (1 being NO surgery needed whatsoever, 10- immediate surgery needed otherwise speech/feeding issues could result) he was a 5 & the doc wouldn't perform surgery on something that moderate. good luck!

E.: I myself am tongue tied along with 2 of my 4 children . All three of us have no problem speaking. However , our Ear nose and throat specialist said had he known our 3 year was tongue tied at the time of her adnoid surgery he would have clipped her tongue, I worked as a dental assistant for 17 yrs. and my bosses take on it was if they eat fine and speak fine leave well enough alone. Does your 2 1/2 yr. old speak at all to you? also have you had his hearing checked. and what does your MD say about any of this?
Mom of 4 . 9,7,3,2

My son’s frenum was to his very tip of his tongue. My son did have problems breastfeeding, but overcame them.
When he got older we talked to his dentist about getting it snipped (his father was really pushing it). He actually never had a speech problem, which surprised the dentist because out of his 30 years of dentistry he never saw another patient whose frenum was positioned like my sons. When we talked to the dentist early on- he mentioned that sometimes the scarring cases more problems then actually being tongue-tied. (So that is why I hesitated)
Our dentist referred us to a different dentist, and he had it done, (years later-end of middle school -5th grade). He was only able to snip a little due to not wanting to hinder muscle control.
It has been some years now and my son can stick out his tongue, a little. He also says that the snipped area is sensitive to hot/ cold, and also there is a little (very little tissue where they snipped, that rubs on his lower teeth.)
My son could talk just fine early on, so I would say that there is no correlation to his being tongue-tied and not talking. (My son could not stick out his tongue, but there are some people whom can,-depending on where the frenum is located.)
There is great informational websites out there, just type in tongue tied

~Have a nice day

I highly doubt that your friend is right. I am a speech and language pathologist who specializes in working with 2,3 and 4 year olds. "Tongue tied" is really an old-fashioned term that refers to a short ligament that connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth. It has no significance to delayed speech. Children are delayed in talking due to expressive and receptive lanuguage delays/disorders. It is more related to the brian, rather than the tongue. Is your son talking at all? What can he say? Does he understand you? Can he follow simple directions? I would highly recommend being evaluated by a speech and language pathologist. His doctor can make the referral if needed. Let me know what you decided. I wouldn't delay.

Our oldest son was tongue tied. Our neighbor, who was a nurse, pointed it out to us. Our doctor clipped the little piece under the tongue; of course this was done when he was just few weeks old. It will affect their speech; we were told.

Check with your pediatrician and hear what they have to say about it.

1 / 3