My 2 1/2 Year Old Has Terrible Cough!

My 2 1/2 year old has this terrible wet cough and I can't seem to get him over it. I'm worried about Pneumonia or bronchitis. He coughs during the day but it gets worse when he's sleeping or in the car. It sounds wet and I've been watching him sleep and when he has to cough, he stops breathing for about 30 seconds until he can get the cough out and his face turns beet red. I am going to call the doctor in the morning but I was wondering if anyone could help me through the night. I know they say that coughing is the last part of the cold to come out. And I hope that's true, but it scares me to death when he stops breathing. Any help?

Thanks guys! I tried everything mentioned but I didn't have any vicks. I took him to the doctor and he put him on an antibiotic and a nebulizer.

I did call the ER doctor that night and he said that he thought he should have his lungs checked, but he wasn't too concerned. I'm not fond of that doctor, we've had our rounds before. My son does have a touch of bronchitis.

Sitting with him in a steam filled bathroom will help a little. I usually blast the shower and sink on hot and shut the door. Best of luck to you!!

My 2 1/2 year old was coughing last night too. She just has a cold and is doing much better today. VICKS vapor rub worked!!!! I used the baby rub on her feet and almost immediately it stopped. It started up again a few hours later so I did it again and it stopped again!!! I have been using a humidifer also. My oldest did just have bronchitis and needed an antibiotic that cleared her up immediately.

I hope you get into the doctors quickly and hes better soon!!

Hi Kaylyn,

Take the baby to the pediatrician and get a cool mist vaporizer.

Good luck. D.

have a cool mist humidifier in the room. elevate the side of the crib where his head is. another thing to do that helps is to rub vicks vapo rub on his feet and on his chest. definantly call the doctor and see if he needs any medicine. it is hard when they are little because they can not give them a lot of medicines.

Bless your heart. I know exactly what you are dealing with. I went through the same process before my now 7 year old was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of two. First they said it was Bronchitus. He had a cough that would not go away. Finally diagnosing him correctly once I switched pediatricians. I have to agree with the suggestion for sitting n the bathroom with him with only hot water running so he can breathe in the steam. He is so young that it is not much you can do but try home remedies. Whatever you do, do not give him any meds unless prescribed by a doctor. That is the best advice I can give you.

Definitely get him to the doctor ASAP. It could be asthma. My son developed it at that age and it was a cough that wouldn't go away.

I have not tried this myself, but I've heard that Vicks Vapor Rub put on the bottom of the feet at night helps a cough. I told a friend of mine about it last year and she tried it for herself and she said it worked. I don't know about a two-year old, but you could experiment with just a little on his feet; also, you could google it and see if there are recommendations for putting it on the feet of children. Good luck. I know that coughing is terrible to hear at night.
-M.

Call the DOC on call. If he's stopping breathing for any reason, you should not wait until the AM! At the very least, call the nurse line. Our Ped has one that is 24 hours just for situations like this. I don't know why people feel embarassed to call the DOC if they are worried about a situation. That's why they have people on call! If the Dr. gives you a hardtime for calling, then get another doctor! But call!!!

Try the vicks on the chest and on the feet!!! We all forget how important reflexology is. FYI they do make baby/infant vicks, not as strong for sensitive skin. My son and I have been dealing with colds and this seems to work. Good luck and Hope you feel better soon.

1 / 3