My 18 Month Old Son Has hives...Help Please

About a week ago, my son woke up covered in hives. They were on his belly, arm and legs. i took him to his ped. They said give him benadryl. Two days later they were all over his face, I took him to urgent care and now he is on a steroid. They will go away and reapear elsewhere. We are awaiting an app. with the allergist, but I can't think of anything new or different that he has been eating. I thought it was a new play tent so I got rid of that and they still appeard. I need help. My son is cutting 4 teeth right now. Can teething cause hives? Has anyone heard of this or any advice. He hasn't been sick or had a fever. No new soaps, perfume,or new food. I have gone through just about everything. We do have a dog but the dog has been around as long as my son. Please help. Thank you

My first guess would be the laundry products you are using. Even some so called hypo allergenic and fragrance-free products are petroleum based. The fragrance-free-products have a chemical to mask the smell of the chemicals in the detergent. My friends even tried Melaleuca laundry and broke out, but they have no problem with Shaklee laundry products. Reactions can build up over time and just manifest quickly at some point. If you need any help, please contact me. Good Luck, M.

My daughter got hives from lavendar about two months ago. It took some serious thinking about what we put on her to cause it. We remembered that she used to break out when she was in cloth diapers. We stopped using the diapers. But, now we realize it was the lavendar in the baby wipe solution I had made!

Topical hives from lotions and soaps may not show up for 48 - 72 hours after they have been put on. So, you may have to think back 2 to 3 days.

My daughter didn't react to lavendar until after she had been exposed to it SEVERAL times over several months. It may not be something new, just something that finally started bothering him.

I think I have read that teething can cause hives, but we don't have any experience with that.

A fever can cause hives, but you don't mention a fever. I think I've heard of teething causing hives, but I haven't had that happen either. New laundry detergent or shampoo? Good luck.

I don't have experience with a child- but I personally started getting hives when I was in my 20's. It took a specialist in Texas (after 3 years of other dr's bouncing me around) that gave me answers! Of course, now I don't remember what the actual term was- but in short- my histimines were over active. I took Allegra & Rinitadine (like Prevacid-it blocks the histimines in your intestines) for a couple of years- every day. Once I got pregnant, I had to stop- and the hives stopped for 4 years. They are now making a comeback, but I have only been taking the meds when needed. So- if it gets to where nothing else is working, you may want to explore this as a cause and see what your drs say. Good luck.

Sometimes it is not necessarily something new. Some people's allergies actually build up over time. Hopefully the allergist will be able to pinpoint it for you.

I agree with Cindy B., rather than worrying too much over what might have changed - I have a friend whose son is 7 and he just had this happen. The allergist said allergies can develop over time, and over time the amount of something your child is exposed to can gradually get to the point where he has a severe reaction even though the symptoms weren't noticeable before.

In my friend's case, it looks like the culprit is going to be milk - which obviously he has had his whole life, but his body is just now getting to the point where any milk is too much milk.

Just an idea, I know it is frustrating and worrisome - maybe you can get on the cancellation list at the allergist's office or plead your case with the staff to squeeze him in somehow. Or maybe another allergist has an opening. Don't be afraid to go to the ER if something scares you outside of your pediatrician's hours, just in case it is an allergy.

good to see the allergist but if they find nothing it could be stress. My nephew started getting hives whenever he got worked up bad or good. if he was playing to wild he would start breaking out. if he got angry he would break out. if he worried he would break out. he is 11 now and has mostly out grown it. so it may just be the way his body reacts. Perhaps the pain from the teething is causing the hives. If the allergist finds nothing then i wouldn't worry to much just keep him from itching them and treat him with the Benadryl as needed (find out from the doc the right dose and the frequency allowed) my nephews often showed up on his lower back, forehead and arms but weren't limited to that area. once you scratch them they spread. Hope this can ease your mind some :)

I had a similar situation with my son. I took him to a dermatologist who first of all informed me that when other doctors look at skin ailments they are usually wrong. In my son's case, he had had a cold recently and so it was his skin's way of fighting the virus. You said that your son hasn't been sick, but it might be worth seeing a dermatologist since you said that the hives are going away and reappearing elsewhere. We ended up using several different creams and I believe an antibiotic before it all went away. Good luck!

1 / 3