My 16 Month Old Is Afraid to Poop!

Hello Mamas! Has anyone ever had a situation where their child was afraid to poop? I started my child on vitamin D milk when she was 12 months old. It made her severely constipated. The doctor told us to use Miralax for the next 6 months or so, and adjust the dosage as needed.......I really don't think this is the answer to her problems! My daughter is on soy milk, and no longer constipated, but every time she gets the urge to poop she cries, and screams, and holds her legs stiff as a board while squeezing her butt cheeks together. I think its more a fear of pain, than the actual pain. Her poop comes out solid, but soft enough it shouldn't hurt. I have taken her in to two doctors....should I tak eher to a specialist?? Any help you can provide would be appreciated! Thank you all!!

My daughter did the same thing at the age up till 3 years old!! No she is 4 I still have to go in with her and hold her hand awhile she talks it thru wtih me. Yea she use to hold it as long as she could sometimes up to 7 days!!! I know how you feel. When she is in the process try talking to herand let her know that its ok, everyone does it. Later I found that She like when I rub her back.

I hope things get better.

Our Dr told us to use Simply Apple juice, 1 glass and it really works. It's cloudy and you have to shake it to mix the stuff off the bottom of the bottle. Doesn't make it too loose but makes it move but still in control. Usually work it about 20 minutes. Our Dr used it when she was pregnant and you could mix it with other juice if y'all don't like the taste (reminds me of watery applesauce). Hope this helps!

I would naturally soften her poop with lots of fruits and veggies until the fear passes. Good luck!

Hi K., put your baby back on Miralax. It is great for what she's going through. She can't tell you how she feels. My daughter went through the same experience and Miralax put her at ease both mentally & physically. This was 3 years ago and she's great now.

I hope things get better.

I disagree about the Miralax. It helps the problem by making the poop softer,so there is no pain which in turn helps solve the issue. My son went through this twice. It was caused by constipation. I used the Miralax as the doctor said and he tried to hold it , but eventually he had to go. We had several accidents, but after a few weeks, things went back to normal, once he realized it wouldn't hurt to poop anymore. Good luck.

I've been through this with my daughter, and what the doctor said is what fixed her issues.
He has probably learned to be scared because of a painful poop. He then probably started to hold it in, which stretched out his rectum. Poop should not be stored in the rectum, which is where the Mirlax comes into play. Keep his poop soft enough that he cannot hold it in, so over the next 6 months his rectum will shrink back down to normal size and stop storing the poop. By then, he will no longer be afraid of pooping. Something that comforted me is to know that Miralax does not absorb into your body, what goes in, all comes out. It is kinda like water absorbing plastic, and the molecules are too large for the body to absorb. Instead of his body sucking all the water out of his poop while in his system (which happens to make poop really dry and constipates) all the water stays in the Miralax to keep poop soft. It is important to keep his poop the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Feel free to ask me any questions, as we have absolutely been through this! (10+ days of my daughter not pooping...over and over and over again...)

Hi, K.. This is a very common problem in children your daughter's age, and from what I understand, even more common in girls. I had three boys, none of which had this problem, but my daughter experienced exactly what your daughter seems to be going through. I would strongly suggest sticking with the Miralax. Because you have seen two pediatricians, I assume they have ruled out any digestive or developmental issues, and as your pediatrician has probably told you, Miralax is not like a true laxative, and therefore is completely safe in that your daughter's body will not become dependent on it with continued use. It will, however, prevent her from being able to hold it in. With the correct dosage, she should be able to go comfortably, but at the same time, not be able to hold it in either. This is most important in these months prior to and leading up to potty training. On the other hand, if she continues to hold it in, you/she will experience continued problems and difficulties throughout potty training, as well. I hope this helps, and good luck!!! :-)

Oh this was my world for about a year... my daughter started doing this at 2 and right before age 3 we finally stopped the Miralax and she started going on the potty. I HATED the Miralax too for exactly the same reason - it's not addressing the problem, only aggravating the control issue. It is a control issue. Period. I don't know why they fixate on this, and it is so frustrating!

We even had to visit the ER after she didn't go for 10 days (and was obviously in pain) and while in the waiting room she went...now dubbed the $150 poop.

So, we talked about it constantly with her. Now, we still talk about pooping and size and when did you go, etc. Also, we totally removed all cheese, milk, and fried foods from her diet. It helped that Dad was diagnosed with diverticulitis about the same time, so we really "fiber'ed" up.

We only used about 1/2 tsp with my daughter (the ped recommended 1 tsp). I felt that if we could get her to not hurt when she went, but not lose control, it would be better, and it was. Really, it was a big fight for awhile. I'd catch her clenching over behind the couch and pick her up and run into the bathroom and sit her on the potty. She'd cry, I'd cry. But it taught her that going was OK and that the potty was a safe place where she had privacy. Also, I did NOT make a big deal about it with cheering, etc. as this tended to aggravate the control issue. I'd just calmly go in there and wipe her and say "good job, does your tummy feel better?" and things would go back to normal.

I wish I could offer you more, but you certainly have my moral support! At least I can say that it is a phase, and "this too shall pass". Now, she's totally cool about it and will even go at the grocery store.

1 / 3