My 16 Month Old Has Had DIARRHEA for a WEEK!!!!!

My son has had diarrhea since Sunday (1/4).... The doctor says they don't worry unless it's been two weeks..... I don't know what else to do.... I had some type of stomach bug on Tuesday- vomiting and diarrhea it lasted about 8 hours, but my stomach bothered me until yesterday! My son doesn't have a fever or anything and is ALREADY a picky eater and is now being even MORE picky!

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try.

My son is FINALLY better! The B R A T diet worked.... I also gave him yogurt with baby cereal so that it was thickened up some!

Thank you all for all of your support and ideas!

Reading everyone's idea's HELPED ME CALM DOWN ;-)

I've found the best thing to get rid of my daughter's diarrhea is rice cereal, or the rice cereal with bananas. Also, if he has a diaper rash from it, you can try putting some baking soda in his bath - this changes the ph of their skin so it doesn't chaff as easily (this really helped with my daughter as well.)

When my daughter has messy BMs with no fever, I think of two things. Ate a food that didn't agree with her? Is she teething?
It could be that he has the same bug that you had, just reacting different to it. Keep him hydrated and push the crackers, at such.

Hi - I don't know about anything that can stop it, but while he has it make sure he stays hydrated - with pedialyte and lots of it. My pediatrician said not to use water for their first year of life.

Is your little one teething? When my son was about this age he was teething with 8 teeth at once and he had diarrhea for 3 months straight. There was nothing we could do about it since he was eating and drinking normally. I would suggest adding a little fresh minced garlic to some of his food if you can. Also shredded coconut will work. Both have an ingredient in them that help with abdominal issues whether it be viral or not. Keep up with the fluids and eating his normal foods. You can also try Rice Milk or Soy Milk as sometimes Cow milk is upsetting to the digestive track therefore causing diarrhea. Although Pedialyte is good, Koolaid (without the sugar) and Propel are cheaper and just as good. Others mentioned Rice Cereal with Bananas and that is good. The BRATT diet always works: Bananas, Rice, Apples, Tea, and Toast. For Tea, use Black or White because Green will make diarrhea worse. My mother also tells me to put a little milk and tea together and then give it to the kids. My kids love it and it does help with diarrhea. Hope this helps you and I'll be praying that your little one gets over this diarrhea soon and that you will continue to have the strength to handle it. God Bless.

D.,
Hi, I'm R.. I am an ER nurse and I can tell you that I have dealt with diarrhea in all ages for the past month and a half... I don't know what is going around but it seems to be miserable for everyone! I know it is especially miserable for the little people, but I am sorry to tell you that in most cases it is totally a viral issue and there is nothing to give them except for lots and lots of pedialyte and butt paste :o( --because they need hydrated and they are going to be sore back there. It is good that he doesn't have a fever. But if he does get one you should take him to the doctor again. So, try pedialyte, popcicles and lots of love. I'm sorry that there is nothing else really for babies. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
!
R.

ps This is a great way to teach him how important it is to wash his hands! Plus, you don't want to get it too!!!

I would only let him have very simple plain food until his stomach is better. try plain toast, saltine crackers, diluted apple juice if he is tolerating the other well. plain white rice and apple sauce are other simple foods. Pedialyte popsicles are great for this situation too because it keeps them from getting dehydrated. If he drinks too fast it is more likely to upset his stomach. popsicles make him slow down. I would watch carefuly and don't be afraid to call your dr. if he doesn't look right to you. You know your child better than anyone else.

My son had diarrhea last summer and my ped told me to give him Floramax for kids (I think that is the right spelling). It is over the counter from the pharmacy. Mine did not have any in stock but got if for me - I have since seen it on the shelf. It is probiotics (like what is in yougart now), and it seemed to help him. Hope your little guy is better soon.

My 23 month old is just getting over a bout with diarreah that started at the beginning of December. His stool is still loose, but it's not the terrible stuff it was for so many weeks. I had him in to the doctor as well, but there's nothing they can do about a virus. Make sure he gets enough to drink... push water - it's the best to keep him from getting dehydrated. That's the thing to pay attention to. One way to make sure he's got enough to drink is if he's peeing enough. Check with your doctor about frequency of wet diapers.

The other thing is to make sure your diaper cream has 40% zinc oxide. Desitin original has it. My little guy's bum was so angry red and he was filling his diapers with such toxic waste that I couldn't get it better.

Make sure to use lotion all over his body, too. My little guy gets dry skin and he was scratching all over... had to keep his fingernails clipped regularly! After I started using lotion (right after bath works for us) he stopped scratching.

Oh, I almost forgot! We also put him on lactose free milk for a while. The Dr. said that when they get a stomach bug like this, it sometimes takes a while to get the enzymes that break down milk back up to a level that will work. He's back on regular milk now and doing fine.

1 / 3