My 1.5 Yr Old Has Very High Fever

Hi All,

My daughter is 17 months. She was perfectly fine till yesterday evening when I brought her from day care in the evening, she seemed very hot. I thought its because of the weather. But then she was very fussy. We checked her fever and it was 103. We kept giving her tylenol regularly all through the night but the whole night her fever was mostly high sometimes normal. Today we showed her to doc and since she could not diagnose anything else she said it should be roseola. Has anyone experienced this before for their baby. Can you share your experience?

Thanks
V.

Fevers tend to rise at night.....don't know why. Just keep giving her the Tylenol or Motrin.....whatever. You can also bathe her with a cool cloth to help cool her off, or a lukewarm bath. It cools the body some, and it is easier to keep a temp. down than to get it down.

My daughter always get high fevers when she gets sick. I scares me to death!! Every time I take her in the docs just tell me it is a virus and to give tylenol and motrin. And to come back if she gets worse or is not better in a couple of days.

my 2 yr old son experienced 105.3 degrees of fever in January. Doctors diagnosed it as a viral.it wasnt coming down for 3 days and we were beginning to get concerned.My husband himself being a doctor was also now worried.then suddenly the 4th day it tuched down to 99. we knew he will be fine now. We gave him azithromycin and crocin and loads and loads of liquids. he didnt eat anything at all for 4 days and would also throwup his medicines. but we didnt give up. apart from good medical advise u need loads of patience and belief. It very painful to see your baby in discomfort...be a rocking support by the child, she will be fine. God bless her!!

All three of mine have had roseola, I had them at the doc the 2nd day the fever was high (104) He did all the tests and said that everything looked fine. Wait for about three days, the fever will go down and then they will get a rash. He was right! Kids don't really act like they are sick when they have roseola, and you can't get the fever to stay down, even with meds. (I still would give tylenol.)
A.

Try a clean cloth with luke warm water and rubbing alcohol, the alcohol draws the heat out of the body. You can also switch back and forth from motrin and tylenol.

Our son had roseola when he was a baby. It wasn't a bad experience. We just had no idea what was going on as first time parents.

My best advice to you should anything like this happen again with a fever that high is not to be afraid to call the Pediatrician "On-call" and ask their advice. Physicians usually rotate "call" with their partners and other doctors, and they expect to be interrupted while on call for emergency issues.

Febrile seizures can result when fevers spike that high, so I personally don't have a problem calling our pediatrician (my nephew had a febrile seizure around that age). Even if they just say to give Tylenol/ibuprofen, monitor and see them in the morning, it's better than playing it safe and ending-up in the ER.

Hoping she gets to feeing better soon.

yes i can honestly say i am going through it right now.its not fun.my ped said rotate tylenol and mortin every 4 hours,give luke warm baths.try fever cool patches they sell them at walmart or even a cool washcloth.if you can let her be in just a diaper the whole time heat makes it worse.If you need more info about it you can look it up and send me a message.hope this helps

Hello,

My daughter never had Roseloa however she would get fevers as well, I took her to the doc and they said the same thing. They told me she may get spots within a couple of days. She did not. What I discovered is she gets fevers when she is teething. I have twins and they act differently when they are teething. I would switch from tylenol and mortin.

1 / 3