My 14 Month Old Can't Poop

I have an almost 15month old son who has the hardest time pooping. If we are lucky, he poops maybe 2 or 3 times a week which seems like too far between. Also, when he tries to poop, he has the hardest time-his face turns bright red, he sweats, he sometimes cries, we can tell that he seems to have physical pain from not being able to poop. Most of the time, his poop is harder. I feel like we have tried EVERYTHING. We have added more juice (prune and pear and a little apple), we have added more fiber to his diet, we have even tried the very gentle laxatives for babies which make him poop but doesn't help the underlying situation that he can't seem to push it out. My other son never had this problem.

Please help! Thanks for your advice!

WOW! Thanks so much everyone for your responses and advice!! I really appreciate it! I am going to try some of the ideas out and see. I have started him today with drinking water in his sippy cup and he is liking it much better than the juices so that's a great thing (probably because big brother is drinking water all the time!). Anyhow, I actually did consult his doctor about the constipation and he did recommend more water and potentially adding in Miralax. So, we are going to start with more natural ways-prunes, apricots, and other things and as a last resort-we will try the Miralax. I am finally so hopefully hearing from so many that this is an issue with their little ones! Thanks again!

Get rid of dairy, especially get rid of cheese. Replace any white bread products with whole grain versions. Lots of raisins, beans, apples.

My prediatrician put my son on probiotics. There is a product called Baby-dophilus, I got it at Whole Foods. You add 1/4 teaspoon to a bottle once a day to help his digestion. It has really helped him. He still pushes, but he doesn't have to try very hard and he never fusses about it anymore. Sometimes he even poops while he is asleep, so the effort doesn't even wake him up.

My 9 month old has this problem. Every morning, I feed him baby food prunes and he's able to go regularly without too much pushing! Water is also a huge help.
Good luck!!

I would consult your doctor. They can take an x-ray of his abdomin and see how constipated he is. My daughter was 4 months old when she started having trouble and it took me until she was nearly 3 to get someone to believe me that it was actually a problem. They refered us to a ped GI specialist and my life has changed forever!!!!! They take Miralax everyday and it really makes a huge difference. I know a lot of people are against this, but until your babies are crying out in pain everyday trying to push poop that is too big to come out than they can't understand. I wish you the best of luck!

Try Natural Calm for Baby. It's a highly absorbable form of magnesium. You can get it at your local health store or on-line (just Google it). Great,NATURAL relief for him as well as a great supplement for your whole family! Blessings,M.

My daughter had that problem. She was dehydrated. She was drinking but not drinking water. She simply was not getting enough water and her poop was just so dried up she couldn't get it out. Like I said she was drinking but not drinking water. Somehow you have to get lots of water in him.

I've often heard of parents using a teaspoon of Karo Syrup in their child's milk about once or twice a day at the most to help them have a regulare bowl movement.

C.,

I feel your pain. My middle son who is now 6 has been going through pretty much the same issue you have just described since he was 10 months old. This is a very helpless feeling. The juices are going to help alot. The laxatives might help a little, increasing the fiber will definitely help. However, there may definitely be an underlying issue. You may want to have him seen by a Gastroenterologist. My son has been on Miralax since he was 10 months old to help him with going. We have done the diet thing and everything else. The doctor has now order blood work to find out if there are any other issues that could be causing these problems. I would suggest that you have him checks out by a GI doctor before the situation becomes unmanagable.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you have if you would like. ____@____.com

I wish you the best of luck.

36 y/o SAHM of 3 boys 14, 6 and 3

Hi, C.!

Poor Kid!!!!:(...here is an old fashioned tried & true thing, try putting a teaspoon of Castor Oil in something that he drinks each evening or you can give it to him in a spoon although the consistency is nasty. This will give the BM a smooth journey and soften the stool as well. Have you talked with the pediatrician? Hope this helps him, I have problems due to my meds so I know how hurtful it can be and with a babe who can't really speak to the issue to understand it must be mentally upsetting as well as the physcal pain....Good Luck to you both!

A.

Hello. I know for sure that apple constipates! My daughter was eating so much of it for several days and then she was extremely constipated for the next couple days.
So, I had to decrease the amount of apple I was giving her even though she likes it.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck to you!

www.WorkAtHomeUnited.com/M.

C., take him to the pediatrician. If all of the natural remedies, which are actually good for him, have not worked, and neither have the gentle laxative medicines, then something is wrong. He may have some kind of obstruction or bad formation of his colon. He might have something different about his anus that makes it hard for him to poop.

While you're waiing for an appointment, check to see if he's getting enough water? Even with the extra fiber you've given him, if he's not drinking any plain water, he will have the urge to go, but his bowel movements will still be hard and scratchy if there is not enough water in his system to keep the poop moist. Try getting him to drink a glass of water every day, and see if this helps him in a day or two.

Make sure that he does not feel pressured or forced to try to poop when he is not ready. It IS possible to make yourself poop when you're not ready, but it takes a long time, and it IS painful. He might be trying to please you and obey you because you are worried that he's not pooping enough, so there may be a little part of this that is emotional. But please, please, take him to the doctor and get some answers. It is not normal for a kid to have this much trouble having a bowel movement all the time.

I pray that it's nothing and that the situation resolves itself without any further discomfort.

Peace,
Syl

1 / 3