My 13 Month Old Won't Eat & Still Prefers a Bottle!!

My 13month old daughter eats like a bird! We offer her many variations of foods and she is either very picky or just gets really bored with what she eats. She also has to have something in her hand to munch on while we feed her her meal. However, even with that, I don't feel she has had enough to eat. She takes about 4-5 spoonfuls of her meal & she's done. (She will eat ALL her oatmeal & yogurt, though.) I want to make sure she has the proper nutrition she needs! She had a weight check up last week & is right on.
Also, she does not like any of the sippy cups I bought her (Advent & Nuby) and refuse to buy all of them just to find the right one. She does take a cup/straw, but tends to lift the straw/cup like a bottle. Of course gets frustrated because all the liquid drops to the bottom.
Need your feedback, please! Thanks!

Ladies! Thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback. So, here is where we are. Over the last week, I reintroduced jar food along with table food and what I realize is the reason why she was getting so angry and refusing the foods I was offering her was she wanted to feed herself!!! Duh? I started with giving her a spoon to hold while I fed her, that worked for a couple of feedings, then she expressed interest in feeding herself, so I gave her a bowl & a spoon.
Now, for the bottle, we are only offering it to her in the morning (milk) & the rest of the day it is water, fruit juice diluted in water, or milk in the sippy cup. Yes, she sign languages MILK in milk, but I have been consistent and just give her the sippy cup. She does get angry, but she gets over it :) Starting tomorrow, we will let her know that we are giving away her bottle to another baby that needs it more & have a 3rd party take it away. Love that idea! Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback!!

My son was 15 months and still on a bottle. He was on chemo and I didn't want to take it away but he got to where he wouldn't eat and only wanted the bottle. His dr. said to start adding a little bit of water so he wouldn't like the milk as much. Over the next week add a little more water and keep going week by week till he got to where he didn't want it anymore. It worked great. He gave up his bottle on his own and wanted the sippy cup. Hope this helps.

Vikki

As far as her eating goes my oldest son was like that and his doctor said that as long as he's still growing and gaining weight not to push the issue. He will eat when he's hungry. My youngest son preferred to graze until he was about 3. We would just leave his plate at the table and he'd come take a bite here and there.

Have you tried sippy cups without a no leak seal first? There are some pretty cheap travel type ones at walmart. She may just need to get the hang of it before she tries the other ones. As far as the cup/straw goes keep offering her those. She'll get the hang of it. It takes time just like everything else she'll learn.

hey- i did buy some of almost all of the sippy cups to find one that would work for us. PLAYTEX is the one... the valves are easy to wash and the same valves work with all of the playtex cups...stage 1-stage 3. my son hated the nuby cups, tolerated the advent cups, had the same problem your daughter has with the straws, but the playtex cups worked for us. try it!

Well the good news is that your daughters weight is right on target for her age. I remember worrying about nutrition when my girls were young too. Then my doctor told me that their taste buds are still developing and their stomachs are really quite small. He basically told me to serve them the foods they would eat and not to worry about how much they ate.

As far as the bottle goes, it sounds like it might be one of those times where you will need to endure some crying when you make the switch... One thing I did with my girls that really helped us was to talk about how they were growing up and that on Firday we would be packing up all the bottles to send to another little baby that needed them. We talked a little bit about the giving up bottle event coming up everyday (sort of a countdown to Friday) to help prepare them for the transition. Then we also talked about looking for a new cup for them to use once we sent the bottles off. When they have a love affair with the bottle, they never like any sippy cup you give them at first!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I know you've gotten a ton of responses already, but my 2 1/2 year old has been going through this since she was 6 months old. We've been to monthly weight checks (she's not just tiny, she's bony) and to see specialists. The biggest help they've offered: Carnation Instant Breakfast. We call it her 'milkshake' and she loves it. We were using Pediasure, but apparently it's the same stuff, just a lot more expensive. And if she doesn't eat ... oh, well. But I feel better knowing that she's getting all her vitamins and such.
I reassure myself by remembering that it's my job to offer her the foods, and her job to eat them. Hope that helps.

Ok, I'm going to go one issue at a time.

Sippy cups-my son hated hard spout ones so I tried the Gerber trainers (silicone blue spouts) and he loved them!! After about a month of using thoses, he would use the Playtex ones no problem and that was at 12 months old. Now if you daughter is still using bottles, I'd start putting water in them and only putting milk and juice (or dulited juice) in the cups. Water in the bottles won't make it worth her time.

Eating-you didn't say what you were trying to get her to eat (baby food, regular table food, etc) so here is also what I did with my son. He at just about everything we at starting at 11 months. He didn't want baby food. I would take say chicken and the veggies I cooked for dinner and put it in the blender to chop it up for him and he loved it. Noodles you can cut up into small pieces. Also, Hormel makes these kids dinners that are really yummy too. Same size as Gerber grads just half the cost! You can find them over by the Chef Boyrd stuff. Same thing with fruit-buy the canned fruit that says no added sugar or light syrup. It is fruit and either pear or white grape juice-same thing as gerber but way cheaper and more fruit. All you have to do it cut it up into bite size pieces.

Good luck!! I hope you can find something to get her eating a little bit more!
~S.

When my son was a year old he went on a goldfish diet. He wouldn't eat anything but goldfish no matter what I did. I started getting creative and I started breading chicken with goldfish and he would eat it because it had goldfish. I asked the pediatrician and she said he will eat when he is hungry. He had goldfish 3 meals a day for two weeks and then he didn't want them anymore and he started eating anything you put in front of him. As far as the sippy cups give her the cups with the straw she will figure out how to use them. Put something in there that you can share and show her how to drink everytime she turns it up gently take it from her hands and say watch mommy. She will figure it out.

B. M.

My four-year-old, like your daughter, doesn't eat a lot in volume. I've voiced concern at the pediatrician's office many times and I always get the same answer, "She's growing, she's smart, she's thriving! Leave her alone!" So, I make sure to feed her healthy things when she does eat and nervously watch my little fuel efficient model of a child do just fine. She only gets milk once a day(because it's so filling) and I "spike" that with Ovaltine.

Recently, I asked the doctor about giving her Ensure or Pediasure and was given the nod.

Don't worry about the cup and straw thing. She'll get it. It's frustrating but it takes time. (Of course, you have two older kids and you already knew that...) Sounds like your daughter and mine are very much alike. I would ask the ped for advice or his/her thoughts, of course, but if she's doing fine, Yay!

hi, my name is A. Connell and as a mother of 2, one is 2 and one is 1, I am very concerned about my children and their health. I am not sure if this will help but my daughter wouldn't take a cup at first either, have you tried the gerber graduate cups? My daughter had an mri done and thats what they gave her when she woke up and hasn't had a bottle since. Also, I would love to tell you about a company I have started shopping with online that is safe for my family. Please visit my website and complete the learn more section so I may contact you and give you some great information on the toxins within your home.

A. Connell
workathomeunited.com/huntleigh

1 / 3