My 11 Month Old Has Yellow Spots on Her New Teeth!

last week, while tickling my 11 month old baby girl, i noticed she had a yellow spot on her top tooth. very concerned (freaked out :-) i called our dentist, who specializes in pediatric dentistry, and he asked me to bring her in immediately. upon examination, he told me me that it was NOT baby bottle mouth, just some discoloration. well, 2 days ago she cut her other top tooth and i can now see a yellow spot on the little part that is exposed! i'm totally at a loss here. this is my 3rd child and my older 2 have perfectly white, healthy teeth. what do i do? it looks like decay to me, but i have never seen actual baby bottle syndrome. can a child get it this young? can teeth come in decayed? please, share your experiences with me, i'm so worried!

thank you for all the wonderful responses. your answers were were not only informative, but comforting. paisley saw her pediatrician today and was diagnosed with missing enamel. we are going to be referred to a specialist and go from there. the is upsetting, but we will get through it, and if i have to sell my house, she will have the necessary care she needs. thanks again so much!

I don't know if you have done this or not but we got one of those infant tooth and gum cleaners (finger brush) and the infant toothpaste. Now, I have to admit I don't do it every day but we try to "brush" his teeth in the morning and every night before bed.

I just didn't know if you had tried that or not, but maybe it would work?

When my 19 month old got her two top teeth, I noticed a small soft yellow dot at the gum line where one of the teeth were coming in. At first, I thought it was egg, I had tried to feed her egg beaters for breakfast, so I thought it had gotten stuck in her incoming tooth... well, needless to stay, when the entire tooth was in, the spot was still there, and now at 19 months, the spot is still there. But now it is a very very small brown dot with a small ring around it. I too, took her to a dentist. They weren't that worried. They told me the same thing, keep it clean, it did seem to have a slight hole there, they didnt know how she could have gotten it, (I never got sick or took antibiotics while pregnant and wasn't on antibiotics either) They said if it worsened, then to come back and they would see what could be done. Honestly, you can't really see my daughter's imperfection (as the dentist called it) but I can see it. I know it is there.. and my daughter was a breast fed baby, not bottle fed... and she never goes to bed with a juice cup now.. yada yada yada.. we just have to hope her permament teeth come out sparkling white!

What is in your drinking water? I grew up in a town, where the water had some mineral that caused the teeth to yellow.

Make sure that flouride is added to you drinking water if it is not you may want to supplement.

Has she had a lot of ear infections or a need for antibiotics? Amoxicilin causes yellow spots to form on kids teeth if they've had to have a lot of it. My sister had it on her baby teeth but when her adult teeth came in they were fine.

Teeth can't come in decayed. They need to have been exposed to sugar, and for bacteria to have eaten away through the sugar and into the tooth. It sounds to me like a vitamin deficiency (or possibly too much of a vitamin).

Consider these milk teeth to be the canary in the coal mine. Start a food journal, noting everything she eats (and I mean everything). Then check it with a nutritionist, or just do some research online on amounts of vitamins and minerals babies of her age need, and what foods supply those amounts.

Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food has charts that make this easy. She covers all of this in great detail, so all your bases are covered. Probably, if this is a vitamin or mineral issue, you will figure out what it is, and start increasing the foods that she needs to overcome the deficiency (or balancing out what might be causing an oversupply) and she'll be fine. But you really want to intervene ASAP so she doesn't suffer in other ways than just her milk teeth.

One way to start to get a handle on this immediately, before your detective work gets you answers, is to offer your daughter a great variety of very healthy foods. Wean out anything that doesn't deliver a serious nutritional punch. Even snack foods (which, for toddlers, make up most of their diets) must be healthy, nutrient-dense foods, not what fall under our adult conception of treats (cookies, unhealthy crackers, processed foods...). This is for the very reason that snacks make up most of a toddler's diet. But it's all the same to an 11-month old, who doesn't have to know that canned, drained, rinsed, mashed (i.e., choke-proof) kidney beans aren't popular, tasty snacks (try 'em. They're pretty good!). Cook her up some red lentils (takes 10-15 minutes), don't salt them, maybe add some Italian herbs, and mash them up to use as a dip for foods that she doesn't like as much on their own. And let her choose her snacks from a variety, which you offer. Studies show that, when offered a variety, even very young children will choose the options that give them what they need at the time. Kind of like a pregnant woman who has a craving. It's the body telling you what it needs.

lots of kids have missing enamel..most can be fixed with just white plastic fillings..i worked for dentists since i was 18 their not that expensive and can be done at a later time ...if it was baby bottle tooth decay your ped. dentist would have definatly told you

While I hate to disagree with a dental personell, I have to.
My mother took some antibiotics while preggers with my younger sister. They DID come in rotten. And not only that, but they eventually turned all-out black.
Many of them came in that way. Her permanent teeth followed suit, and now she has a mouthful of porcelain crowns...white teeth for the first time in her life, but it cost her thousands of dollars. Now I don't know if there are preventative measures at this point. I would do some research on my own if I were you.
The truth is--even though they now know that the antibiotics my mother took aren't good during pregnancy--some docs STILL presribe them... during pregnancy! (tetracycline-type antibiotics). Also, the average shelf-life of a pharmaceutical is now only 5 years before they say, "Oh no, it's not safe after all." Drugs are being pushed through before adequate testing is done, because pharmaceutical companies are paying the FDA to hurry them through. This is not hear-say. This is legitimate and legal! SO...all of that said, look out for taking ANYTHING while you are pregnant. Avoid it like the plague. In the meantime, I will pray that whatever is wrong with your little one's teeth isn't serious, and is treatable.
Many Blessings,
H.

I am a dental hygienist. I cannot tell for sure without seeing your daughter, but it sounds like the teeth are just discolored like your dentist diagnosed. These spots can appear when something was going on while that part of the tooth was forming during your pregnancy or her early infancy...a cold, a fever, possibly something you didn't even know was going on. In many cases, the enamel is fine and is simply discolored, but take extra care in cleaning these areas well as sometimes these areas can have a weakened enamel structure. My son has these yellowish spots on his front teeth too. If you keep juices and sweets to a minimum, don't allow your daughter to go to bed with a bottle, and keep the teeth clean, there shouldn't be a problem. More than likely, the permanent teeth will not have this "defect."

Did she have a high fever before her teeth grew in? That caused mine to have stains.

1 / 3