My 10 Year Old Has a Few Gray Hairs

Hi Mama's...Here's the thing, I noticed a few gray hairs on my 10 year old about 8 or 9 months ago and shrugged it off. He has lots of highlights and colors in his reddish brown hair. (we just plucked them out) I noticed more again on Saturday. I was told that it may be a medical condidition. So we looked it up online and found that it could be a vitamin deficincy (B12) or even related to a bowel issue. (He has had the stool holding since he was a baby and takes miralax now, and other stool stofeners over the years). I called my pediatrician to schedule an appt, because on line it said a simple blood test could determine the vitamin defincincy. When the doctor called me back (not the one in the practice I like, by the way) she told me that she had never heard of this and I should take him to a dermatologtist. He didn't need bloodwork...Have any of you ladies heard of this before? I am a little concerned and to tell the truth, I am not sure if she is doing this because of insurance reasons. (her first question was what med ins do the boys have to which I answered none, my husband lost his job in August and I have applied to Kidcare and I am awaiting the approval. the insurance coverage at my job would be 1/2 my salary) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much....

Hi Mamma's!! Thank you for all the advice...I will be calling MY pediatrician and talking to him about what happen when I spoke with his associate. I also printed some of what I found online to send to his office to show that not only are my concerns valid, they are well documented. I appreciate all of your answers and support and as soon as I have either a diagnosis or response from the dr. I will let you all know...Thank you again so very much!!!!I pray that it is the "nothing" I am hoping for.

I wouldn't bee too terribly concerned about it. I started going gray around 12 or so. I'm now 34 and almost totally snow white. My brother was the same way, he's not quite as gray as me though. I'm completely healthy, I have 4 healthy children. My brother is healthy with 3 healthy children. We just stared to gray early.

Mt 11 year old son also has a few gray hairs always has. Once a hairdresser told me they were just non pigmented hairs. He also has a lot of hightlights and just an unusual hair color.

D.,

If you feel your son needs to have this further investigated, then that is what you should do! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!! They are the most valuable tool we as mothers have. Call your Dr.'s office, request a call back from YOUR son's doctor and discuss it with him/her. Let your Dr's office know that you have already applied for kidcare/family care. (they cover 90 days retroactively) Most practices will take it if you are an existing patient. Or if you can get them in through health connect which is a part/division/health care plan umbrelled by kidcare. If you need more information I can help. I've unfortunately been down this road before just recently. It's frustrating until you get everything set up correctly.
e-mail me any time or send me a message on here either way. (if you need assistance)

D.,
Why not add B Complex and see if it helps or makes a difference? B vitamins are best absorbed when balanced, and so it's never a good idea to take just one - taking a complex ensures you get the right (safe) balance and that the body can absorb the nutrients properly to actually be able to utilize them. I am a Shaklee rep and could give you more information on this and even the business if you're looking to make some extra money and get a discount on your products. I'd love to help so just let me know.

Thanks,

Hi D.,
My husband started going grey around 10 years old. His parents went through the same ordeal with the doctors and testing and it ended up being noting, just premature grey. While it might be a good idea to visit a dermatologist it might just be really pre-mature grey! Good luck!

I know that thyroid problems can cause grey hair. Keep googling and see what you can find.

Didn't Blagoavich get some kind off insurance program in place for kids in this state? I would check into that for your sons insurance needs.

My sister-in-law who is now 50 years old has always had a gray streak of hair....not just a few hairs, it's about an inch wide...and she is perfectly healthy. My son also has a friend who is a senior in high school and he has the same wide gray streak in his hair and he is fine also. Now my cousin when he was little had his whole head turn gray and the skin on his hands and feet became loose because his parents didn't make him eat anything healthy and it was malnutrition. So I would get it checked out for your own peace of mind, but it's probably nothing.

If you are willing to pay out of pocket for a bloodtest, then you can demand one. I would definitely worry about the stool softeners causing a deficiency.
Also, with B deficiencies, it is not because you don't get enough of the vitamin, but because your body can't absorb it. My dr said that something like 80% of Americans can't absorb B vitamins- we don't have whatever enzyme in our system that makes it possible, and you can't just take a vitamin to "fix" it- you have to have injections so it goes straight to the blood instead.
I would call the dr's office back and leave a message for whatever dr you normally see and deal with, or just make an appt with that dr.
There is a great dr in St Charles, if that is near you, at Valley Family Medicine- his name is Dr James Sanders. He is wonderful with the entire family and I'm sure he would order tests if he felt there was any chance there may be something wrong.
On the other hand, I had grays come and go throughout my life- I remember quite a few of us had them in middle school, so it could be a hormonal thing too.

Hope you get some answers,

Follow up with your pediatrician. However, like a few others have said in may be normal. My mother had a gray streak in her hair as long as I could remember. It came back both times after chemo. We considered her gray streak a birth mark. Is the gray hair in the same location? Something to consider.

1 / 3