My 10 Month Old Does Not Want to Eat Solids Anymore

Hello- I started my 10 month old son on some solids about a month ago and he was doing great. He still wants to nurse, but won't take a bottle anymore- which is fine, his babysitter gives him breast milk in a sippy cup and he taks that just fine and continues to want to nurse when i'm home. the problem is- he no longer wants to eat solids. all he wants is applesauce and graham crackers. when i 1st started with solids, he was doing great- he loved avacados, sweet potatos, green beans, mangos etc... Now he just plays w/ his food and throws a fit when i try to get him to eat something. He's not loosing any weight and seems to be very healthy. What concerns me the most is that he's barely eating a thing while at the sitters house (while i'm at work) Before we started solids- he was taking 3- 6oz bottles while I was at work- but he doesn't do that anymore either.

any other foods i should try? Is he turning into a picky eater or am i worrying for nothing?
thanks

Hi, my kids are 4 and 5. They still go through food phases. One day they love something and the next they hate it. He is coming into his own. Keep introducing new foods and old ones. If he starts losing weight or becomes fussy in other ways, take him to the doctor, he may have acid reflux or something like that. Give the doctor a call , and ask for advice. I love being a mom too, you will never stop worrying, that's what makes you a great one. Good luck, J.

He's probably just teething very badly. My son went through the same thing. Motrin and baby orajel sometimes does the trick but you'll just have to wait it out for the most part. Just keep trying.

Is he fed similar solids each day? If so, it's possible he wants more of a variety. When my oldest daughter started on solids she wanted to try everything! My husband is the same way, loves to try new foods, so the two of them were always trying new things.

E.

So are you giving him these foods in chunks or are you pureeing them? My son is two years old and if he can't chew something up good enough for him to swallow it comfortably he will stop eating it. And he's two so I imagine that your 10 month old's throat is probably smaller and more sensitive than my son's. So I would try either cutting them into smaller pieces or pureeing the food. Just keep on trying different foods. And also, just because he didn't like green beans last week doesn't mean he won't like them this week. So give the foods a second and third chance. Don't worry if he's not getting a big variety of foods. The first year they are suppose to get most of their nutrition from formula/breastmilk. You are the one that cares if he gets a big variety of food or not. Your son doesn't care. Before you started him on solids he was just getting breast milk, every feeding, everyday. So he doesn't care if you feed him the same thing for lunch every day. If he likes a couple fruits, a couple vegetables and a couple meats and every kids likes pasta then that is absolutely fine. When he gets older he'll start to like more foods. Just because he only eats 6 different foods and pasta now doesn't mean that's all he's gonna like when he's a teenager.

Have you tried doing pick up foods? Perhaps he doesn't want to be spoon fed anymore. This might be exciting to him and you can sneak in some spoonfuls of other food while he is trying to feed himself. The baby does not have to have teeth to do this. Lots of good options - all of those foods that he had as a baby, but cooked and cut up small - peas, green beans, avacado, banana, crackers, cheerios, pasta, little pieces of toast with butter or jam on it... You can also try cottage cheese and yogurt. Keep experimenting - he's probably ready for more real food now.
You can check out this web site for some other great ideas... http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

E.

When my baby is distracted he tends to try to grab the spoon and not eat. Sometimes I'll only get a few bites in his mouth. I still nurse him too. I always do it before he eats as well. He's 9 1/2 months. My husband found this website, www.wholesomebabyfood.org (I think that's it)because we had wanted to make all his food. It has some great info, like adding cinnamon as a spice (sorta sweet and pleasant). We try to add sweet things that he will always eat, like banana, to things when they don't go over well the first time. Like pork. We usually buy the organic carrots and steam them, well one time we used these non organic ones I got from my mom and he would hardly touch them. So it could be quality. You should have seen his cute little face scrunch up. I don't know if you buy the jars of baby food, but I have tasted a few and they really don't taste good. Maybe try making your own?

I also have a 10 month old son and I understand what you are going through since my son has been doing some of the same things. It was really bad for about 2-3 weeks, he was doing just what you described. He would eat applesause, & Cherrios and maybe some crackers. He also was drinking very little for this period of time. He is now drinking his milk again ( he gets it from a sippy cup), and is eating more regular foods. He is still picking one or two foods from his meals that he really seems to like. I would reccomend that you go ahead and keep doing what you are doing in that you keep offering him foods, he should come out of the phase, sometimes it takes more then 2-3 weeks but as long as he is not losing weight I wouldn't be concerned.

I'm sure it is just a phase. The best part about this is that it sounds like you have had him on a superb diet! I don't think he will be lacking. Just try to up his fluids if you can but don't sweat it. Before you know it he will be on a growth spurt and eating like crazy! It's so easy to stress about this isn't it?! Oh, just remembered that you are nursing!!! That's actually all he needs before age one so all is well! Great job!

Children grow, obviously, continuously, but they also have growing spurts in which they grow alot in a short amount of time. When they grow like this, their appetites usually match. If they are in the midst of a growing spurt they seem to be ravenous and can't get enough to eat. When they are not growing as much, their appetites decrease as well. If he does not seem to be losing weight, and is eating an appropriate amount of breast milk for his size, I wouldn't worry, but still check in with your Pediatrician just to be certain. I would pay attention to his preference to the sweet apple sauce and sweet and carby crackers. It should probably be an occaisional option, but always offer the good foods first. It may be tempting to feed him what he wants since he isn't eating any of the other foods and you feel he's not getting enough to eat. If the other two are not always offered, he may start back up on the original favorites. Hope this is helpful...

1 / 3