My 1 Year Old Doesn't Crawl Yet. Should I Worry?

My son has always been a little on the "late" side. He sat up, rolled over and rolled onto his tummy all several months after the "norm." Still, he's just 12 mos and still doesn't crawl. He can sit and pivot and has a really long forward reach, where he just about folds in half, and gets one leg out behind him. He can stand and take steps with assistance, but doesn't pull himself to standing either. Do you think I should be concerned and get help for him?

Thanks for all the great advice. I've always believed that every child is truly on his own schedule and most of you confirm this. I won't ignore any feelings I have but I also believe he's just fine. Even since writing this, though eh doesn't crawl, he sit-pivots and manages to scoot toward objects he wants, so that's progress!

Thanks to you all.

My son crawled at 11mo and didn't walk till 17 mos; now he is just over 18mos and everyone comments on how 'well' he walks/runs! Pretty funny since people thought he was so 'behind' for so long. Don't worry about it-- just enjoy that he isn't everywhere all the time while you can!

What does his Ped say?. My son never crawled and didn't start walking until after 1 yr old. He never got up into a crawl position but kept his legs out straight behind him and drug himself around with his arms like GI Joe. He was perfectly normal growing up and will be 29 in a couple of days.

I think you have to remember that some kids do things earlier than average, some kids later. My older daughter went from laying on the floor screaming in frustration - straight to walking! She never did crawl. Also she never rolled over until after she was walking. I was worried that something was wrong with her, but no - she's 6 now and a beautiful ballerina. She just decided to do things on her own schedule. Also I remember that my cousin, who is now 6'10" and was a huge baby, crawled and walked super late. I think he began walking at 18 months or something, and by that time he was the size of a large 3 year old (no joke, he was over 30 pounds at 1 year). I think it took him forever to learn to walk because it's not easy getting that much baby upright and balanced! Today he is very athletic, so it wasn't a lasting problem.

Perhaps you can encourage him to either walk or crawl by placing his toys well out of his reach. Otherwise, just keep practicing walking with him. Surely he'll master it by kindergarten! =) If you feel like something is wrong, take him to the doctor and discuss your concerns, just to put your mind at ease.

I would definitely mention this to his doctor. My cousin's child was just diagnosed with Prader Willi Sydrome. Some of the signs are poor muscle tone, late development, "failure to thrive" as infants, poor appetite. Around age 2-5, the child developes an unsatisfied need to consume food which can lead to life-threatening obesity. You can check www.pwsausa.org for more info and see if your child may have this devistating syndrome.

My neighbor's son is 12 months old as well and he does not crawl or walk. He also rolled over late, etc. His dad is a Dr. and doesn't seem concerned. He says that some babies just physically mature later than others, much like some kids learning to speak late, etc. I would just mention it at your next well check visit and not worry too much.

Hello J.,

I do think your son should crawl, but boys are often slower to do things than girls. I would talk to his doctor about it, but 12 months may be within the normal range of starting to crawl. His doctor will be able to advise you. Babies who are slower to do things are not always "slow", they may be like Einstein and taking time to think things over.

Take care,

E.

Every baby is different. They work according to their own pace. We can only encourage them. Not push them. Some babies don't crawl at all. They just go straight to walking. I have a few friends with babies who did that. So don't worry. Just enjoy the little one.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Babies don't have to crawl to be developmentally "normal." My little pipsqueak did not crawl, ever. She walked first and now that she is a pro-walker, she crawls if she feels like it! And as for walking, anytime between 9 and 14 months is what I have read is considered "normal." Everybody develops at their own rate and it could be that your little one has all of his needs met from where he sits - so, no need to crawl/walk. He'll get there! And, if you are still concerned, check in with his pediatrician.
Best of luck,
N.

1 / 3