My 1-Year-Old Won't Sleep

I'm really at my wit's end. My daughter is 14 months old and she's still waking up several times a night. We've tried and tried to let herself cry herself to sleep. The problem is that she will cry herself to sleep, only to wake up a couple of hours later and start crying again. If we let her cry herself back to sleep again, she'll wake up anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours later and cry some more, and that happens all night long, for several nights in a row until my husband or I end up sleeping with her. I don't mind staying with her until she goes to sleep, but she won't stay asleep! As soon as she feels the bed move as we get up to leave she's up and crying again. And even when we are sleeping with her she wakes up and cries every few hours, but if we're with her she'll cry for a minute or two and go back to sleep. When she wakes up and cries she arches her back and kicks her legs and seems (in my opinion) to be uncomfortable, but she's already on Prevacid for acid reflux and our doctors keep telling us that there's nothing wrong with her. Then why won't she sleep?

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. We started the Ferber method Friday night and it's going well! Someone told me that the Ferber method worked better for her kids than the cold turkey method of leaving them to cry themselves to sleep, and that made me try it. I used to think that if we went back in her room when she was crying that it would make it worse, but it's actually going much better. In the middle of the night she used to wake up and cry for 20 minutes before going back to sleep--sometimes only to get up 30 minutes later again. Now I go to her and comfort her for a few seconds and then leave and she's going back to sleep after two minutes and sleeping much longer before getting up again. It may still be a while before we're getting a full night's sleep again, but I'm feeling much better about the situation. Naps are going much, much better, too. Thank you!

She has formed a bad habit. She knows what it takes to get what she wants. At 14mo there is no reason that she shouldn't sleep through the night. I would recommend the Secrets of a Baby Whisper. It helped me when I had my first child. It will be a long process but you have to be consistent it only takes 1 night to undo weeks of progress. I hope this works for you.

hi My grandsons mother has another little boy. not ours he is now 6 but he was not sleeping as an infant. well when he got to around 2 he was up all nite and she knew something had to be amiss and she fought with doctors. they told her eveything is alright but she knew in her heart something wrong and as it turned out he is autistic adn not sleeping and acid reflus which he has since birth are symtoms. he was not talking either. he will only eat certain things whioch is also symptom. he is in mainline school now, special classes and doing alirght. good luck./ bless yuor heart. J.

Make sure you're doing a set bedtime routine. That will signal time to SLEEP is coming. Bath, snack, brush teeth, book, prayers, etc. If you don't have one, get a nice night light, play either white noise, a humidifier, or soft music on a CD (with the player set to repeat) and make sure she's going to bed early enough. You have an older child, so I'm sure you know that when they are overly tired or over-stimulated, you'd think they would zonk out and crash, but it's the opposite! Make sure you have a quiet play period before the bedtime routine starts. My son (6) still sleeps better if he goes to bed before he feels REALLY tired.
I'd watch the laying down with her part--unless you want that to be part of your routine.
We did CIO and it was about 3-4 mights of torment, but it did work for us. Good luck!

Get her on a bedtime routine. Dinner, bath, bedtime lotion, book,bed. If you fall asleep with her, leave at exactly 10 min. of her falling asleep, while she is in her deep sleep stage. If you do a routine, keep it up every night, children like routine. You can also try shortening her nap in the day. Hope this works!

Hi, M.:

Does your baby have gas pains?

Just want to know. D.

Have you tried a night light for her? What about a cuddle toy (teddy bear, etc.) There's a really good chance she's teething as well with her first molars. You might want to check her gums out.

We've gone through the sleep issues and have had luck with CIO (we used Jodi Mindell's Sleeping Through the Night version) - it takes about 2 weeks of consistency for them to really get it and stay asleep through the night. However, we have also dealt with reflux, and until that's well controlled any of the "sleep training" methods are unlikely to succeed. How does your daughter's reflux seem during the day? What dose and form of prevacid is she on? Does she take it on an empty stomach? It's possible that it is just a habit, but I would be sure that the reflux in under control before working on the habit - if they're in pain, it's not they're fault they can't sleep. You might also try raising the end of the crib where she puts her head, though mine always ended up at the other end.

We've gone through reflux with all 3 kids, and my second (who had it the worst) never slept more than 3 straight hours for well over a year. Once the reflux was improving and better controlled, though, the sleep followed. I'd be happy to discuss the reflux stuff if you think that's part of it, as there are other treatment options. Good luck!

Good Night, Sleep Tight - The Sleep Lady (sleeplady.com) worked great for us. Its a version of cry-it-out, but it walks you through a specific method where you need to be consistent in your routine. It worked great for our daughter, hopefully it will do wonders for yours, too.

1 / 3