Musty Smelling Air Conditioner

Does anyone know how to remove the musty smell from the window air conditioners? It has been stored in the basement over the winter and now it is musty smelling. I remember it getting this smell last summer as well and I sprayed it with Lysol but it didn't really help. If I have to have the house closed up and listen to the constant noise I don't want the house to smell as well.

I think I heard something once about running some white vinegar through... it's safe (not delicious, though) for you and baby. see if you can find anything by googling that. sorry to not be more informative.

I have dealt with this myself! I actually had my husband put the acs out in the yard before we installed them. I sprayed them down with the hose and scrubbed them with soapy water- taking the filters out and washing them as well. Then I rinsed them well and let them dry in the sun. The soapy water freshened them up and the sun killed any mildew that had grown on them over the winter. It worked very well.
=)

Hello D....I'm not an 'expert ' on these things, but 'musty' sometimes is a warning to it's companion 'moldy' and 'moldy' ofcourse can lead to viral bacteria...nothing you want blowing out into your family's air. My thought is to check and see where the filter is (usually a screen looking feature) and simply wash it out under your faucet. I believe most home air conditioners have these...at least the ones I've been around over the years. I would think this would do the trick! Good luck and Green Blessings, N. C

I just put mine it...Every year before it is put in, I plug it in, in the garage first and spray it ( while on high fan) with Lysol spray to disinfect it. This kills the germs and any mold that may have formed. Changing the filter is always a good idea several times in the early Summer due to the dirty air and pollen too. Also, while it is on you can spray Lysol into the intake vent and this helps too. Hope this workes for you, mine is fresh and fine.

We had the same problem this year. Last night it was even worse and we ended up going out and purchasing a new one. I opened up the old one and it was all moldy inside. Especially since it is in our 16 month old's room, it just wasn't worth the risk. Look at it closely. I hope the listed home remedies work but if it doesn't, you may just have to replace it. Sorry.

Time for a new filter. In the main summer months the filter should be changed once a month for the best results. (June/July/August)

I would clean the filter.

Does it have a filter you can take out and clean? That might help. We actually had to replace an air conditioner last year because of the musty smell, but it was pretty old.

1 / 3