Musty Smell in Laundry Room

For several weeks I've been smelling a strange odor in my laundry room. It seems to be coming from the washer. The best I can describe it is "musty." I thought of mildew, but I don't see anything that could be mildewed. It's just an empty washer. The smell does not transfer to the clothes, as far as i can tell (I have a poor sense of smell). My teens have left things in the washer for too long at times, but seems to me that that would make the clothes smell, not the washer. Can machinery get mildewed? Has anyone had this and did you figure out what it was and how to get rid of it?

Leave the lid open after washing to allow the machine to dry. My front loader does this. All I have done is leave it slightly ajar constantly and it has never had that problem again.

You can try running the washer without clothes and throw in some vinegar. It will probably get the smell out.

Well, I don't use bleach because of it's very harmful affects on your lungs, eyes, etc.........but you need to find some sort of deodorizer that you can put in your washer.....maybe vinegar.....white vinegar.....give that a shot......

It could be your pipes...........or your washer just might need to be cleaned just like your garbage disposal and dishwasher do......If that doesn't work, then I would call a plumber.......you might have a dead mouse in the washer somewhere or something else...............

Good Luck and take care.

Now is a good time to just remove the washer and dryer from the laundry room and give everything a good cleaning. It is possible to have water leaks in the wall, in the washer, in the drain, so many places. You can pour some bleach or some foam cleaner down the drain too. Another thing you can do is install a vent fan in the ceiling - this has become mandatory for most new houses now. When the washer is out in the garage, you can hook up the garden hose, extension chord and point the drain house down the driveway and run a cold-water cycle. This might reveal any washer leaks.

If you have a front load washer there are several things that can cause this. First take the "drawer" out that you use to put soap/fabric softener etc in. This can get mold on the back. you won't see it where you put in the soap but it is behind. the drawer pops out and then back in. also all around the rubber ring in the front wipe down both inside and outside. Tide makes a washing machine cleaner also. it is in little packets. I have started doing it once a month and the smell is gone from my washer. it can be used in both frontload and top load washers. so check that out. good luck

Try washing vinegar in the machine with no clothes. Let the washer go through the whole cycle.

I was having this problem a couple of months ago. I always leave the door open now, and I haven't had a problem since.

Do you, by chance, have a front loader? I've heard lots of people complain about a moldy smell from the seal around the door. If so, call your appliance place & ask what to use to clean it.

1 / 3