Multiuse Waterproof Pad Safety Question

I have a darling 7 week old girl who loves to spit up. While I have a waterproof pad under the sheet to protect the mattress, my mom suggested putting one of the many Gerber multiuse pads that I have on top of the sheet. Is this safe? It lays very flat and my pediatrician said it was okay, but I'm wondering if I should buy the kind that tie down instead. Has anyone used the non-tie multiuse pads on top of the sheet and had problems or sucess? Thanks for any input/advice!!!

I used to use the ones that were soft & felt-like, rather than the ones that are quilted. My daughter was the same way & I used to put one under her head. It never seemed to be a problem.

I used to use the waterproof (lap-type) pads all the time. My crib didn't have wheels, so I just got so tired of having to reach across the crib and tie the tie-down kind only by feel. If I am thinking of th esame kind you are thinking of, they are about 2ft x 3-4ft? They are made of a heavy material which is much thicker than a regular sheet. In my opinion, that is what made them safe because they did lay so flat and were a lot harder to "inhale". My son will be 2 next month and I still use the small ones (1ftx 1 1/2ft?) ALL the time on my changing table because they are so easy to just pick up and wash vs having to change the whole cover. My son also frequently spit up, so the lap pads were a lifesaver. So easy to pull up and put a new one down. I think they are perfectly safe.

with both of my boys, mostly my youngest (who had terrible reflux)...i put burp clothes under there little heads to keep me from washing the sheets so much...i did it until they moved around so much it was pointless

I have used ans still do two different things. One is a special crib sized mattress cover. The other is water proof pads (soft on one side plastic on the other) that just lay flat BUT I lay them UNDER her crib sheet. Works well and can be washed easily with the sheets. I personally would NOT lay anything on top until she's a bit older. I am not a strict person as I have plenty of bears in her crib but I would wait until she can flip over on her own.

has your dr checked to see why your baby is a spitter upper, maby there is a problem that could be eaisly cleared up. GMAJ

I haven't used those, I use the Ultimate Crib Sheet. It is fantastic! It lays flat on top of the mattress (I have a mattress pad and sheet on there too). It attaches with elastic straps that have snaps on them. It's a bit expensive, but I still use them (I have 2) and my daughter is 3 1/2. I have a crib that converts to a toddler bed so it still works.

You're a first time mom, so it is totally normal to worry if you are doing everything right! I was the same way and still am, just not quite so worried.

I had a large waterproof pad under the sheet (the kind that fit like a sheet). Then, I also used a small-flat waterproof pad under the baby. This was for extra protection due to spitting up and overflowing diapers. This way, if something happens in the middle of the night, you just switch the small waterproof pad for another(buy extras) instead of changing the whole bed.

I would advise against it for a few reasons. First, they get quite hot when the baby is laying on it. I found those pads great for the car diaper changes or to use on the changing table part of the playyard, but not to sleep on. Second, they get very ugly in the wash and look as if they'd be itchy and uncomfortable. I am using the "ultimate crib sheet" that snaps on the railings of the crib and it is working well. It washes easy, comes off and snaps on and stands up in the wash. It is also pretty soft and is "leak proof." Another thought, have you tried the "sheet savers?" They are smaller, soft and less expensive. Sounds like the problem is spit up so you'd need it just for the head area, so the sheet saver may be a good alternative. HOpe that helps!

Hi L.-
Some of the waterproof pads are large enough that if you lay them cross wise you can tuck them in under the mattress. The pads with the flannel finish are nice because they will be less harsh on your baby's tender skin. I had success using the pads and I found I was more comfortable with the pad tucked into the mattress. I also found that if I made sure my children's faces were completely dry after washing off their spit up they were less likely to break out or get a rash. I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes I was in a rush and didn't completely dry their skin.
You can also try the Funkie Baby blanket at www.ittybittyladybug.com which has three layer construction with a water resistant layer in the middle. The blanket is large enough to tuck in around the mattress - even folded in half. It also makes a great playmat when you want to lay your baby on the floor for some tummy time.
I own the Itty Bitty Ladybug web site and if you are interested in purchasing the Funkie Baby blanket, please make a note in the comments section at checkout about Mamasource and I will give you a 20% discount. The site will be down until Wednesday for maintenance, but will be up and running after that.

1 / 3