Multiple Head Bumps in One Week

My very active 14 month old son (yes he is my first) is constantly on the move. He recently fell and hit his head two times last week, once yesterday, and then AGAIN tonight! I hesitate to post this - as I am feeling like the world's worst mother, however I will do anything for my son! I don't think I need to bring him in for just a couple of head bumps - but thought I would ask you guys what you would do. His bumps have been swelling, bruising and healing within a few days (I have been using Arnica gel). His behavior and/or activities have not changed from his normal routine. Thanks for any advice you may have.

The amount of advice and support was overwhelming!. There is nothing better than the resource of other mothers who have been there before. My little guy recovered just fine and so far has been bump free for the past 24 hours - thank goodness! Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond - every e-mail was so appreciated. Thanks again!

i know how you feel. my daughter bumped her head 3times over a 3-day weekend at 20mths. i felt horrible, i started wondering if her balance was off. then i noticed it only happened when she was very tired. the doctors said watch her eyes and if her behavior changes suddenly for a short while. they said to not to worry unless the fall (if they fell) was from higher than half their height. Hope that helps -good luck.

If I had a nickel for every head bump my very active 17-month-old son gets! That's just life, but you'll know if it's a concussion as there will be vomitting and serious head swelling... Just keep on doing what you're doing - give him a cuddle every time he falls!

If the bumps go out and aren't dents and if he isn't disoreinted, he's ok.
My son(who is now 11yrs) is affectiontely called "Bonk". For his first 5 bithdays he had a bump in the middle of his forehead. He always has some bruise or bump on his head. Thank the Lord he has a hard head!
You are not alone. Be watchful but don't stress too much!

Since this is your first I will warn you as active as little boys are you are in for a bunch more bumps, scrapes, and bruises. :-) You are not the world's worst mother, you just have a toddler. As long as the bumps are healing properly, he is not/does not loose consciousness, display signs of dizziness, nausea, and/or seizures, he will be fine. Of course at the first sign of any of that you should take him straight to a doctor to check for concussion.

The only other advice I could give you is what my MIL (mother to four boys) gave me, "Put him in a helmet, and hold your breathe. Soon he will be coming home with broken bones and girlfriends." LOL

My son is barely four, and he's already cut his head open THREE times! He's been to the emergency room twice, had stitches (without anesthesia, I might add), and each time his event was unpredictable and not my fault (since I can't keep him in a bubble). On both emergency room visits, the doctors said he most likely had a concussion, but they said as long as his habits stayed the same (sleeping, talking, crying, etc.) he'd be fine. They did ask me if he cried immediately after each injury, and he did...he never lost consciousness (doesn't that just sound awful!)...and they said he was probably fine.

Of course, you don't want this to become a habit, but one or two bumps on the head, even within a week of each other, are not nearly so damaging as a single shaking event (shaken baby syndrome) because that involves numerous inner brain trauma events...not just one at a time. As long as he's still acting the same, especially 24 hours after the knot formed on his head, he should be fine.

You cannot know how much I sympathize with you!

Yes, little boys are such a joy!! - you're not a terrible mother at all-- you are raising a lively little guy- and they do bump--- you might talk to his pediatrician or the nurse about how to separate ''needs to be seen'' from ''treat it at home'' - as a mom of 3 and special ed preschool teacher I'd say the things you are watching for:
change in behaviour
alteration in pupil size
any hint however small of losing consciousness
bleeding that might require a stich or special bandage

if none of those- treat at home-- blessings
Old Mom
aka

Babies fall. Try not to get yourself down over it. You can't prevent everything.

One of my kids fell pretty hard and a nurse told me some warning signs for a concussion. Check his pupils to make sure they are dilating the way they should and both are the same size. Make sure he is responsive. If he throws up afterwards, that is a big warning sign.

If he is behaving normally and back to his usual self within a short amount of time, I wouldn't stress too much. He's a kid doing what kids do.

It looks like you got a ton of great responses here. Let me just make you feel like a GOOD Mom. My 17 month old went through a period where he: Got a black eye; Then had matching bumps on the right/left side of his head; then face planted into our hard wood floor and had a bruised nose; then, on the fourth of july got an ember in the corner of his eye and now has a little scar there!!!! I was completely freaked out that he looked abused and wouldn't let me him anywhere unless I was right behind him...but...boys and kids in general fall....
After this mass of injuries, we were leaving to go camping and I asked my husband, "Is there anything else we need for Sam?" and he said, "You mean besides a plastic bubble?"

Hi, J.,

My almost 2-y.o. bumps his head frequently, too. And most of the time it scares me more than it hurts him--so I know what you're saying! :)

You may want to try a soft ice pack. We do this and work on counting to 10. Count to 10 with the ice pack on...Count to 10 with the ice pack off...we make a game of it and it helps a bit (but only a bit because then he's off and running!). Basically, as long as his activities are normal, and his pupils are dilating (you can check by shining a small flash light into his eyes) he's fine! :) But, if you have any reservations, bring him into the doc's--that's what their there for!!

R.

I've learned that it helps a TON to immediately put ice (such as frozen peas) on the wound for 10 minutes (at least). That keeps it from swelling and coloring nearly as much. They hate it, of course, but you might give him a sucker to suck on while you do it, and when he wants you to stop, take the sucker away... Once in the ER with my son, the doctor was telling me to ice yada yada and I said he didn't tolerate it. He lectured me that I am the mother and it doesn't matter if he doesn't like it, I need to do it anyway (they of course don't like shots either, but need them). Also, I've learned that rubbing a little castor oil into the bruise also helps. You can find it in the pharmacy section near the laxatives, or ask behind the counter if it's not on the shelf. It really helps. I've read before to put away coffee tables and such that attract little heads, and to keep them on carpet. What I really hate is when people ask constantly "what happened?" What do they think happened? He just started walking and falls down a lot. Duh. I make a point of not asking people what happened when there's a wound on their child's face/head.

Try Arnica interally in 30c or 200c potency. The gel is more for sore muscles than a real injury :)
Liz Brandegee
Classical Homeopath

1 / 3